Junior Football needs to evolve or it will die

pollokfan87

Appreciate that you can use Pollock clubhouse but that does not solve the problem for all.

All the clubs I've been to over recent seasons have got toilet facilities close to hand whether it's in the clubhouse , social club or built in the ground . How is that not adequate enough . You used Pollik as an example to poor toilet facilities when they have . Hopefully you will apologise to Pollok as a club for your comment.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the 'state of Junior football' is now down to pissing against a wall and not being able to wash hands!

Wow, thankfully the 500+ who regularly attend Newlandsfield don't seem to have issue with it, maybe due to us all being so old we just use our colostomy bags.

You can wash your hands at new Petershill ground, but give me pissing behind the old stand and watching a game there any day of the week.

Like superpollock I also love the old junior grounds the replacements for benburb and Renfrew don't have great facilities for supporters ( no covered terracing) while petershill is a lot better ,and probably the best attempt at modern junior stadia . It's not a patch on the old place . Sure we need to evolve but in the right direction .and not all clubs need to move the same ways . Better toilets would be good but not at the expense off a cover from Scotland's weather . Floodlighting ,superb as long as people want to come and watch games in the evenings . A bit more help from the games rulers would be nice .

You stayed that Pollok don't have toilets & washing facilities when clearly they do . I suggest that's a falsehood henceforth you should apologise

Hold it fotj, you spelt Pollock, Pollik another says Pollok, clear this up what's their bliddy name.

It is very good that I have "flushed" out from super Pollock that they have toilet and hand washing facilities in the clubhouse this will avoid everyone going behind the enclosure I will be surprised if all are welcome??

But going back to my original point if nothing is done we could be leaving the juniors open for others to act.

The local authorities have the power to licence grounds which have a certain capacity and if they enforce this it will cause difficulties to a large numer of clubs (at the moment only some local authorities act use the powers they have to licence grounds).

It is very good that I have "flushed" out from super Pollock that they have toilet and hand washing facilities in the clubhouse this will avoid everyone going behind the enclosure I will be surprised if all are welcome??

But going back to my original point if nothing is done we could be leaving the juniors open for others to act.

The local authorities have the power to licence grounds which have a certain capacity and if they enforce this it will cause difficulties to a large numer of clubs (at the moment only some local authorities act use the powers they have to licence grounds).

thats just happened 2 us. Got 2 pay an annual licence,put up various safety notices and have fire marshals at the entrance and exit of the covered enclosure. (Would love 2 know how steel and concrete could go on fire)

Superb performance last night from junior footballs superstars Lithgy rose (the team we must all aspire too) I'm sure the LL will be looking forward to these guys joining the ranks . Never mind got a superb hand washing facility at prestonfield . I'm sure they will all be back on here shortly telling every other junior club How to run their clubs . Mmmmmm

This is an issue. Our club was described by the president as a business. It's not alone - the turnover at a number of clubs merits adoption of approach which recognises the size of the business. In terms of the wider governance of the game at this level, most of the rules in place are designed to meet the needs of all the clubs - hence my earlier assertion that it operates at the pace of the slowest. There is some value in that and I get the point that the governing body needs to look after all its members. But that needs to be reviewed. Looking after all the members means applying governance that fits the level they play at - not just at the level of the lowest. Introduction of Entry Level licencing standards at top league level in terms of stadium criteria would at least start to bridge between the upper levels of the game and the juniors. By contrast, they could review the minimum standards and ask whether they are all necessary at the lower end of the game at this level. I've no idea whether that would reduce some of the burden at that level but it may be worth a look.

Believe that being a licensed club means that this is how rose have to approach matters from now on. The old biscuit him mentality cannot be used given the sfa governance of their accounts etc and based on the amount the social club, attendances etc brings in we are talking figures that a lot of small businesses would be delighted to have to account for.

One of the problems with junior football is the fact it has not moved with the times. The facilities we provide for spectators is fair to non- existent.

We are quite happy for our top teams to sign players for good money but they forget the people standing watching them.

Over the area the west area where I follow games the facilities provided are either basic or terrible. We don't even provide basic toilets at all grounds we are trying to make football attractive to all so surely the basic facilities should be provided.

As an example i will use Pollock juniors ground they have a very good ground BUT where are the toilets, behind the enclosure they have a small enclosed wall ( you are standing like a coo looking over a dyke) they have no running water it gets flushed when it rains no hand washing facilities we are supposed to be encouraging families if a father brings his son and daughter and the son needs the toilet he has to tell him he cannot wash his hands and tell his daughter to wait until they get home, we used to use the social club at times but this is no longer owned by the club anyway this was unsuitable.

May I say this is an example of a ground the west region uses for cup finals, they should be using grounds where facilities are fully provided.

Is it not time the SJFA and all regions laid down rules regarding what facilities should be provided OR should Local Council environmental departments become involved as surely we deserve in 2016 the basic toilet facilities. Maybe if we could get the above sorted we may attract more people and sponsors to the game and teams we all want to do well

This is spot on. I'd hope(!) that the law says that if you serve food in an enclosed area ( inside a ground in this case) then there should be facilities to wash your hands as a minimum requirement.

I know street vendors don't have to but I feel this is different based on the fact that you are not able to freely move anywhere you like to wash them as you would be in public- you're contained within the confines of a ground.

Believe that being a licensed club means that this is how rose have to approach matters from now on. The old biscuit him mentality cannot be used given the sfa governance of their accounts etc and based on the amount the social club, attendances etc brings in we are talking figures that a lot of small businesses would be delighted to have to account for.

"SFA governance of their accounts..."?

Would that be the same people who had 'governance" of the accounts of Rangers, Sevco and The Rangers? Gretna? Livingston? Dundee? Romanov's Hearts, Masterton's Dunfermline? The list is endless.

The SFA has no interest at all in the social club. None of their business!

Just read the article. First he bemones the fact that Junior clubs are going to the wall, then he finishes by saying there are too many! Poor stuff and I'm not sure of the point he is trying to make. Yes the game needs to evolve and join the Pyramid, but that won't stop clubs folding.

The only decent point he makes is about facilities.

"SFA governance of their accounts..."?

Would that be the same people who had 'governance" of the accounts of Rangers, Sevco and The Rangers? Gretna? Livingston? Dundee? Romanov's Hearts, Masterton's Dunfermline? The list is endless.

The SFA has no interest at all in the social club. None of their business!

Great spot. You've listed a rake of teams who were punished ( perhaps not severely enough) for financial mismanagement. You see now why I said that yeah? Chocolate watch your way Einstein.

Archived