Junior Football needs to evolve or it will die

pollokfan87

So what you're suggesting in a roundabout sort of way then is that the "bigger" clubs should have more votes at the AGM instead of one vote for each club??

And we're not all watched by two men and a dug btw, Some of the district teams including my own can attract a fair support.

If the Top division teams feel they're being held back by us diddies then form a breakaway league, I'm sure the SFA would welcome you with open arms.

That's not what he said.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I'd just introduce the combined league and leave Ayrshire teams to it. If there are some who want to come on board then fine. Otherwise they can drop down a tier and play only in Ayrshire. The structure is already there for them.

now that's just nonsense. if you think it was only Ayrshire teams against East west league your absolute miles wrong. Plenty central opted against it and plenty East clubs as well. Just leave Ayrshire teams to it hahaha aye that would suit many wouldn't it being Ayrshire is in general the most successful area in Scotland where junior is concerned

now that's just nonsense. if you think it was only Ayrshire teams against East west league your absolute miles wrong. Plenty central opted against it and plenty East clubs as well. Just leave Ayrshire teams to it hahaha aye that would suit many wouldn't it being Ayrshire is in general the most successful area in Scotland where junior is concerned

The example offered was Ayrshire. If there is that much resistance in one area then let them get on with it. I'm not in favour of the East/West league as such - but only because I think clubs opting for that should just acknowledge the need for merger with other non league clubs in the geographic area. However, given that it would further emasculate the north region of junior football, in turn leading to the breakdown of junior football in that part of the country, I'd be happy to adopt it as a means to an end in the sense that I'd prefer to see the back of junior football as an entity and non league clubs brought under a single body.

4 top Leagues part of the pyramid structure

Highland League, Lowland League

16 team Super League East,& 16 team Super League West

Create minimum ground criteria/licence to provide good facilities for fans same as Lowland League.

All teams in the 4 leagues get into the big Scottish Cup with Super League teams still part of SJFA structure for Junior and regional cups.

Winners of 4 divisions go into 4 team play off to play bottom team in SFL2, all 4 league winners get into Petrofac Cup.

Alternatively

Highland League, Lowland League with East/West Super League 16 teams, part of the pyramid with a 4 team play off with bottom of SFL2.

Have the rest of the junior clubs back to regional leagues Fife, Tayside, North, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ayrshire divisions to save on travelling costs and gain with probable higher gates due to more derbys.

The 3/4 top leagues will all have their own management committee in charge of entry prices, fixtures, voting, sponsorship etc.

That's not what he said.[/quote

Well how else would the bigger clubs get more say? The only way changes to the current set up can be implemented is by a vote at the AGM and why would smaller clubs want to allow any other club more of a say than themselves.

That's not what he said.[/quote

Well how else would the bigger clubs get more say? The only way changes to the current set up can be implemented is by a vote at the AGM and why would smaller clubs want to allow any other club more of a say than themselves.

Well the SJFA could develop an approach whereby certain matters remained within the jurisdiction of the entire membership whilst devolving non core stuff to Super League management committees. They would determine the standards they wanted to implement, the entry costs, secure sponsorship for their league etc. I'm not saying these are the right things but they're top of the head examples. In fact I'd devolve cost of entry to individual clubs.

ame="santheman" post="10116331" timestamp="1453221941"]

Well the SJFA could develop an approach whereby certain matters remained within the jurisdiction of the entire membership whilst devolving non core stuff to Super League management committees. They would determine the standards they wanted to implement, the entry costs, secure sponsorship for their league etc. I'm not saying these are the right things but they're top of the head examples. In fact I'd devolve cost of entry to individual clubs.

Again that would need to be voted through by the majority of clubs.

Not totally against some of your points btw.

I personally know players who dropped out of the Lowland league due to the traveling etc, its not just the time its getting away from work etc and I mean that in regards setting up a merged East West league, also the costs for clubs traveling ........... I would guess there would be a greater interest at the start but as with the super leagues would it last or the novelty wear off?

Im for staying as it is with a few changes to competitions. With regards the Central and Ayrshire Cups, its been mentioned here that they should be scrapped, why not make them just for clubs that play in the Central and Ayrshire Leagues eg omitting the the super league clubs a bit like the seniors challenge cup or whatever its called now.

I would move the Evening Times to make it a season opener back to league and cup winners then split into two groups of four, each team gets three games plus a play off, two top as winners, two 2nd placed teams play etc giving each team four games. Entry into this would omit those teams in the sectional league cup which I would keep but redraw each season to mix it up and give a bit of freshness.

As much as i m all for junior clubs getting into the senior Scottish I feel its unfair in that now clubs with the quality mark, (not sure the exact ruling) gain entry too, this I feel could create an imbalance as these clubs will be guaranteed entry and the benefits year after year meaning they will only grow whilst other clubs have to hope they manage to gain entry through the Super League title or Scottish Cup success. As mentioned earlier in this thread the current top league in the west with a champion, two relegated and a play off ends with a few meaningless games each season so if possible I think it would be fantastic of the three super leagues were able to award senior Scottish cup entry for final league placings meaning basically every game would mean something until the end of season with these clubs obviously going in at the opening round.

As has been spoke of many times on here regards the Scottish Cup three rounds before the end of November then the fourth round in February would be my call while with moving the ETC to the season start have the Scottish Cup final as the last game of the junior season, that way clubs know how long their season will last from day one.

The example offered was Ayrshire. If there is that much resistance in one area then let them get on with it. I'm not in favour of the East/West league as such - but only because I think clubs opting for that should just acknowledge the need for merger with other non league clubs in the geographic area. However, given that it would further emasculate the north region of junior football, in turn leading to the breakdown of junior football in that part of the country, I'd be happy to adopt it as a means to an end in the sense that I'd prefer to see the back of junior football as an entity and non league clubs brought under a single body.

I think it's right round our game as a whole that the East west thing isn't a goer. Am all for the non league brought under single body. It really does enbarrass is the junior tag

As much as i m all for junior clubs getting into the senior Scottish I feel its unfair in that now clubs with the quality mark, (not sure the exact ruling) gain entry too, this I feel could create an imbalance as these clubs will be guaranteed entry and the benefits year after year meaning they will only grow whilst other clubs have to hope they manage to gain entry through the Super League title or Scottish Cup success. .

It's an entry licence that's required, not a quality mark.

And these aren't given out on a whim or picked up in a raffle, its a clear and attainable set of criteria that rightly rewards clubs for good off-feild standards. If others want these benefits then they should look at getting a licence, they are available to all.

It's an entry licence that's required, not a quality mark.

And these aren't given out on a whim or picked up in a raffle, its a clear and attainable set of criteria that rightly rewards clubs for good off-feild standards. If others want these benefits then they should look at getting a licence, they are available to all.

Thanks for clearing that up, as id said I wasn't sure on the criteria.

I personally know players who dropped out of the Lowland league due to the traveling etc, its not just the time its getting away from work etc and I mean that in regards setting up a merged East West league, also the costs for clubs traveling ........... I would guess there would be a greater interest at the start but as with the super leagues would it last or the novelty wear off?

Im for staying as it is with a few changes to competitions. With regards the Central and Ayrshire Cups, its been mentioned here that they should be scrapped, why not make them just for clubs that play in the Central and Ayrshire Leagues eg omitting the the super league clubs a bit like the seniors challenge cup or whatever its called now.

I would move the Evening Times to make it a season opener back to league and cup winners then split into two groups of four, each team gets three games plus a play off, two top as winners, two 2nd placed teams play etc giving each team four games. Entry into this would omit those teams in the sectional league cup which I would keep but redraw each season to mix it up and give a bit of freshness.

As much as i m all for junior clubs getting into the senior Scottish I feel its unfair in that now clubs with the quality mark, (not sure the exact ruling) gain entry too, this I feel could create an imbalance as these clubs will be guaranteed entry and the benefits year after year meaning they will only grow whilst other clubs have to hope they manage to gain entry through the Super League title or Scottish Cup success. As mentioned earlier in this thread the current top league in the west with a champion, two relegated and a play off ends with a few meaningless games each season so if possible I think it would be fantastic of the three super leagues were able to award senior Scottish cup entry for final league placings meaning basically every game would mean something until the end of season with these clubs obviously going in at the opening round.

As has been spoke of many times on here regards the Scottish Cup three rounds before the end of November then the fourth round in February would be my call while with moving the ETC to the season start have the Scottish Cup final as the last game of the junior season, that way clubs know how long their season will last from day one.

The Scottish Cup is spot on but its not the Ayrshire or Central Cup that's the problem...its the league cup sections that causes the hassles. All for every club having a vote but clubs like Lugar should not be guaranteed games against Talbot/Cumnock every season...go and earn them, get up the leagues like Troon/Hurlford and compete on a level footing. The West should go to 16 team league structure like the East, more home league games, more income... the only cup that really matters is the Scottish... even the West of Scotland has had its day.

The Evening Times is just an old central thing and is really irrelevant to the vast majority of clubs.

Not really bothered about juniors getting into senior Scottish.... or whatever the term is...won't engage in pyramid scenario but want a shot a big boys ...aye OK.

Again that would need to be voted through by the majority of clubs.

Not totally against some of your points btw.

Aye. But that would be evidence of evolution. The extent to which they could bring themselves to do it would be an indicator of how far that evolution could go.

I should say that I respect the fact that a lot of folk will think differently from me. But I also wonder how long my club's rivals will look at the money linlithgow are pulling in before becoming a tad b discontented by the shape ofthe playing field.

Aye. But that would be evidence of evolution. The extent to which they could bring themselves to do it would be an indicator of how far that evolution could go.

I should say that I respect the fact that a lot of folk will think differently from me. But I also wonder how long my club's rivals will look at the money linlithgow are pulling in before becoming a tad b discontented by the shape ofthe playing field.

The problem you have is clubs fall into 3 categories

1 Those who are anxious for change

2 Those who will never embrace change

3 Those who will accept change as long as it benefits their own club.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on what your own personal views are, 2 and 3 are very much in the majority at the moment

German Italian football play regional football without any problem. Just seems to me that Junior football is good the way it is in principal. If a new structure came in that suited all then great but until then no point in making rash decisions.

One of the problems with junior football is the fact it has not moved with the times. The facilities we provide for spectators is fair to non- existent.

We are quite happy for our top teams to sign players for good money but they forget the people standing watching them.

Over the area the west area where I follow games the facilities provided are either basic or terrible. We don't even provide basic toilets at all grounds we are trying to make football attractive to all so surely the basic facilities should be provided.

As an example i will use Pollock juniors ground they have a very good ground BUT where are the toilets, behind the enclosure they have a small enclosed wall ( you are standing like a coo looking over a dyke) they have no running water it gets flushed when it rains no hand washing facilities we are supposed to be encouraging families if a father brings his son and daughter and the son needs the toilet he has to tell him he cannot wash his hands and tell his daughter to wait until they get home, we used to use the social club at times but this is no longer owned by the club anyway this was unsuitable.

May I say this is an example of a ground the west region uses for cup finals, they should be using grounds where facilities are fully provided.

Is it not time the SJFA and all regions laid down rules regarding what facilities should be provided OR should Local Council environmental departments become involved as surely we deserve in 2016 the basic toilet facilities. Maybe if we could get the above sorted we may attract more people and sponsors to the game and teams we all want to do well

One of the problems with junior football is the fact it has not moved with the times. The facilities we provide for spectators is fair to non- existent.

We are quite happy for our top teams to sign players for good money but they forget the people standing watching them.

Over the area the west area where I follow games the facilities provided are either basic or terrible. We don't even provide basic toilets at all grounds we are trying to make football attractive to all so surely the basic facilities should be provided.

As an example i will use Pollock juniors ground they have a very good ground BUT where are the toilets, behind the enclosure they have a small enclosed wall ( you are standing like a coo looking over a dyke) they have no running water it gets flushed when it rains no hand washing facilities we are supposed to be encouraging families if a father brings his son and daughter and the son needs the toilet he has to tell him he cannot wash his hands and tell his daughter to wait until they get home, we used to use the social club at times but this is no longer owned by the club anyway this was unsuitable.

May I say this is an example of a ground the west region uses for cup finals, they should be using grounds where facilities are fully provided.

Is it not time the SJFA and all regions laid down rules regarding what facilities should be provided OR should Local Council environmental departments become involved as surely we deserve in 2016 the basic toilet facilities. Maybe if we could get the above sorted we may attract more people and sponsors to the game and teams we all want to do well

They have toilets in the clubhouse at Pollok that you can use . That area is just for people who are too lazy to walk round . Have used them myself when taking my kids to Pollok when we are playing them

They have toilets in the clubhouse at Pollok that you can use . That area is just for people who are too lazy to walk round . Have used them myself when taking my kids to Pollok when we are playing them

Taking about kids toilet habits at the football I will NEVER forget going to Hampden park for the Rangers v ayr United league cup final .

At half time I'm in the toilet and a wee guy who's about 8 years old was doing a piss in the wash hand basin .

His dad looks across and catches him and gives it;

" Hawl you ya wee dick calm doon and don't do that here as you're not in the hoose noo"

:lol:

Archived