Junior Football needs to evolve or it will die

pollokfan87

The Edinburgh City lads are desperate to get into the SPFL League 2. Being old Meadowbank fans, it's where they believe their home is.

Surely their home is being a works team for a factory? Never forget they were only elected to the Scottish Leagues as penny pinching club owners didn't want to go to Inverness.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can set out some positives I'd love to read them because I can't think of many, if any.

Rose fans have combusted or gone to watch their big team at Ibrox instead of polluting the Super League ;)

Saw someone on Twitter state that due to the ryanair sale he could get to yesterday's barca game from glasgow and then get in for the same amount as it would have cost him to get from Glasgow to and then get into the stenny-Brechin game. Absolute madness

I'm not sure on that! £15 entrance fee and £7.30 on the train to Larbert from Glasgow - flight to Barcelona, entrance to game, cost of getting to and from the airports for less than that. Mmmmm, not sure I'm buying that.

What an absolute clusterfuck of an article, I'd be embarrassed to have written that or to actually post a link to it.

"why should Linlithgow Rose spend a fortune on getting licenced only to have the same say as lowly Coupar Angus" Did the halfwit who wrote that know anything about Scottish Football and the voting structure, if for example the Rose were to join the LL and progress into the SPFL is it right that lowly Linlithgow Rose have the same say as the bigot brothers? Is that what the writer is actually expecting to happen?

Shit, bumper crowds are gone - I hadn't noticed that at all over the past 35 years, attendances at every level of football are lower than they were in the halcyon days of post war Britain.

"Kids get screamed at if they run on the pitch" - aye and they would get lifted if they tried it at any SPFL ground, again the writer doesn't seem to have any actual understanding of football at different levels and I also must have missed all of the things that kids can do at the likes of Montrose, East Stirling and Dundee United.

The East Super League team went out of existence for well documented reasons, to wrongly lump them in with the piss poor argument being made once more shows the writer to be a complete moron.

Totally agree, what a lazy article, as he could have brought up a few decent points about why the juniors need to change.

I'm sure the picture of the crumbling terracing was Brockville.

Kids get shouted at for going on the pitch at HT ? He must have been at Troon.

Crowds dwindling ? No shit Sherlock! Even folk with season tickets for the SPL can't be arsed.

Saw someone on Twitter state that due to the ryanair sale he could get to yesterday's barca game from glasgow and then get in for the same amount as it would have cost him to get from Glasgow to and then get into the stenny-Brechin game. Absolute madness

Glasgow to Falkirk must be about a tenner in petrol both ways, then another £12 to get in.

He'd be doing well.

Rose fans have combusted or gone to watch their big team at Ibrox instead of polluting the Super League ;)

You've not listed positives. So far I'm seeing "everything else is shite too for one reason or another".

I've said on plenty of occasions before that junior football needs to change but I've seen no evidence that it will. Any improvements to standards are driven at individual club level. There is nothing coming from the top. The reason nothing comes from the top is that the needs of the least are considered first. Now, that's all very ecumenical but it still means we're applying the same standards at Stoneyburn as at Linlithgow.

Young talent is now hoovered up by development teams, the LL has managed to produce a fixture list pretty much from the outset, the HFL has had a fixture list for years despite being subject to far greater vagaries of weather and distance between clubs.

Junior football can't seem to do any of these things nor has it done anything to address the needs of spectators.

So, what exactly is it doing well? It provides "local" football but it's done that since forever. Surely the requirement is for more than "local" football played in a midden of a ground where the only real requirement seems to be that folk cannae see in.

This guy clearly has been blinkered. I have been to many Talbot games in recent years where the crowd numbers less than 200.People only come out for the bigger games against the bigger clubs. To think Talbot moving in to a higher league system is feasible is bonkers.People won't even travel up to Glasgow when they are playing Pollok Petershill etc.Never mind having a situation where they have to travel to the other end of the country.

This guy clearly has been blinkered. I have been to many Talbot games in recent years where the crowd numbers less than 200.People only come out for the bigger games against the bigger clubs. To think Talbot moving in to a higher league system is feasible is bonkers.People won't even travel up to Glasgow when they are playing Pollok Petershill etc.Never mind having a situation where they have to travel to the other end of the country.

Are you suggesting no change because crowds are already sub 200?

We're almost 30 replies in here - what is left of junior football that's any good? And is that enough to decide that carrying on as is will be better than changing.

I've long since thought that Superleague entry criteria should be at least equivalent to the standards applied by entry level licencing - cover, toilets, health and safety, treatment room access and club policies etc. If Selkirk or Threave can manage it, surely the top 30 junior clubs should be expected to do likewise?

Do away with league cup , and have a top league of 16 for starters with playoffs , need to spice up the end of season games

Couple of good points there.

I know some of the smaller clubs will be against this especially within a couple of the Ayrshire groups for financial reasons.

It's worked in the East ok and an opportunity to get some league games played.

Couple of good points there.

I know some of the smaller clubs will be against this especially within a couple of the Ayrshire groups for financial reasons.

It's worked in the East ok and an opportunity to get some league games played.

Just your Lugar & Kello Rovers of the world who rely on games v Talbot & Cumnock at the beginning of each season. Most of the clubs treat it as pre season now

Are you suggesting no change because crowds are already sub 200?

We're almost 30 replies in here - what is left of junior football that's any good? And is that enough to decide that carrying on as is will be better than changing.

I've long since thought that Superleague entry criteria should be at least equivalent to the standards applied by entry level licencing - cover, toilets, health and safety, treatment room access and club policies etc. If Selkirk or Threave can manage it, surely the top 30 junior clubs should be expected to do likewise?

What I am saying is change won't change anything as it's inevitable that most bigger clubs have their own self interest at heart.Most people who follow Junior football are over 50 and by travelling all over Scotland will only disengage this support and income.Most Junior clubs will die within the next 20 years as it's the over 50s who run them.Change for change sake won't alter that.Ways of life are changing and even the SJFA can't stop that

As a spectator sport football at all levels in Scotland is dying for a variety of reasons,clubs will just need to cut their cloth accordingly as time goes on. As for the juniors the next step will be an East/West merger the pyramid system will be pushed and junior clubs will need to adapt or be left behind a more professional approach is a must within the juniors for it to survive at a decent level.

The trouble is most of the contributory factors to the decline in football attendances are largely out of the control of grassroots clubs – we don’t for instance have any leverage over when Sky Sports chooses to show live EPL games, with 12.30 kickoffs routinely adversely affecting our crowds, or the transience of people these days; time was when three generations of a family would stay locally – there just aren’t those local roots now. My club is in close proximity to the West End, but so many people (students etc.) just pass through an area which possesses many other distractions without settling down sufficiently to the point where they start to follow the local football team.

The assertion that the provision of burgers, bouncy castles and bogs will see the punters flooding back is a bit naïve. As I said previously, people have more options than probably at any point in history as to how to spend their free time, and I doubt anybody’s planning their weekend round where they can take a shite at.

You've not listed positives. So far I'm seeing "everything else is shite too for one reason or another".

We were talking about the article and the fact its a pile of mince, if you want positives about things start another thread.

We were talking about the article and the fact its a pile of mince, if you want positives about things start another thread.

You may have been restricting yourself to the quality of the article. I was actually dealing with its contention. Can I assume that you don't think the game at this level need to evolve.

Hillonearth, what about looking after the customers clubs do have?

Having read through this, most of what I'm seeing is that junior football is fucked, the article is shite (but the game is fucked) and it's all someone else's fault so no point trying.

If we were waiting on some leadership around all of this junior football would still be played in some sort of 1947 vacuum. The Lowland League faces the same issues - so does the SPFL for that matter. But they've actually tried to make football safer for players and to attract supporters by modernising surroundings. It's easy to say it's not stopped an attendance decline but the argument is that it could have been a lot more drastic if they had done nothing.

If we're all sitting waiting for the over 50s to snuff it so we can wrap junior football up then why not just do it now and let clubs who can move forward get on with it.

I think clubs are ready to move but there needs to be a sensible progression.

The lowland league attendances are embarrassing, mainly due to the clubs mainly being community based clubs and teams like that.

We are saying attendances are dropping in the juniors but financially it's a big call to move to a league where there's LESS fans than the current one.

The obvious answer is the current set up feeding into the LL, then over 10 years you'd see the balance change.

It's obvious to me that it would soon be made up of juniors plus one or two senior teams. The Scottish cup has shown the difference in quality over the last few years and financially the juniors are on a better footing (with fans rather than grants funding them) - add the Scottish cup proper money to a lot of the clubs and I think hat alone would rejuvenate a lot of clubs.

It HAS to happen, but it could be rocky for a few years!

I think clubs are ready to move but there needs to be a sensible progression.

The lowland league attendances are embarrassing, mainly due to the clubs mainly being community based clubs and teams like that.

We are saying attendances are dropping in the juniors but financially it's a big call to move to a league where there's LESS fans than the current one.

The obvious answer is the current set up feeding into the LL, then over 10 years you'd see the balance change.

It's obvious to me that it would soon be made up of juniors plus one or two senior teams. The Scottish cup has shown the difference in quality over the last few years and financially the juniors are on a better footing (with fans rather than grants funding them) - add the Scottish cup proper money to a lot of the clubs and I think hat alone would rejuvenate a lot of clubs.

It HAS to happen, but it could be rocky for a few years!

The big problem with the LL is many of the teams they ideally wanted to participate didn't apply. Instead (IMO) they got teams who wanted to jump the queue and run before they could walk.

Cumbernauld Colts, BSC Glasgow and East Kilbride spring to mind as teams who suddenly appeared wanting a fast-track to the SFL.

Archived