Junior Football needs to evolve or it will die

pollokfan87

Essentially that's just playing from March to december with a three week break in July. Surely it would make more sense to have the shortest break ( 3 weeks) as the one in the middle rather than the nine weeker?

Therefore the season would start in feb and finish in December with three weeks in between. Although due to the better surfaces etc available in summer the season could finish in November or mid October. 32 Saturday's for a 22 match season ( in the west) and no real delays in junior cup for postponed parks. Six or seven cup rounds in scottish would still leave a good handful of Saturday's for one regional cup comp. or could be played Saturday's and midweeks at start of August as a way of breaking back in the teams after the July three weeks.

Trying to get a season finished in winter when the vast majority of clubs have no floodlights to play midweek catch-up games from September onwards is a non starter.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been discussed before, but I think a full summer season has too many issues, plus it is too big a leap to make.

The compromise is as I posted above, introduce a break covering the worst two months (yes, you cant predict the weather but statistically Jan and Feb are the worst), start the season in mid-July which opens up two or three more midweeks to get the season off to a good start

Get the Junior Cup going in August ie 1st Round August, 2nd Round September, 3rd Round October, 4th Round November, 5th Round March etc. and consider scrapping replays. The clubs that are involved in the big Scottish, consider giving them byes in the first two rounds.

Don't play any football in January and most/all of February, get started again in March and play until early/mid June. Short summer close season.

This is fine to me. Never been one to scrap relays in junior cup but its really worth considering due to the impact it has re fixtures. Really want the West to go to 16 club leagues and scrapping replays, not having rounds in Winter would make some sort of fixture list more of a possibility.

Giving clubs qualified for big Scottish a bye is interesting could go even further and award the top 6 league placing in Super leagues a bye ...a bit of incentive to finish as high as possible. Don't want to regionalise Scottish but am open to all suggestions as imo the last few seasons have been farcical with one thing and another...postponmenents, lack of sponsorship, behind closed door draws etc.

The constructive argument against. Are we expecting players to chuck their family summer holidays to get a break in December-February?

Players would be missing all over the place halfway through the season.

Players take holidays throughout the season as it is as have to fit it into their full time job.

You would have 3 weeks in July to take holidays and at start of a season teams generally have large squads before lose 2/3 due to lack of game time. Players are back doing pre Season at end of July anyway.

Trying to get a season finished in winter when the vast majority of clubs have no floodlights to play midweek catch-up games from September onwards is a non starter.

Doesn't need to be winter. It can be done and dusted by mid October ( 32 Saturday's from mid March to mid October) and the likelihood of needing catch up games is very low due to not many games being postponed in the summer.

Doesn't need to be winter. It can be done and dusted by mid October ( 32 Saturday's from mid March to mid October) and the likelihood of needing catch up games is very low due to not many games being postponed in the summer.

Unless you change the fixture list too, what about all the cup ties that you'd need to schedule? A successful team can end up playing not far off 50 games at present. When do the cup finals get played? When do you play the rearranged games - rearranged for fixture clashes rather than weather?

Unless you change the fixture list too, what about all the cup ties that you'd need to schedule? A successful team can end up playing not far off 50 games at present. When do the cup finals get played? When do you play the rearranged games - rearranged for fixture clashes rather than weather?

Discussed it earlier in the thread. It would coincide with a reduced number of cups and would mean that cups could take place at different times in the season and could have midweek fixtures - it would obviously be light nights- as well as the additional Saturday's that don't have league games scheduled.

It would also allow a fixture list to be put in place for the whole season as there could be a high confidence in games actually being played when they're supposed to.

Discussed it earlier in the thread. It would coincide with a reduced number of cups and would mean that cups could take place at different times in the season and could have midweek fixtures - it would obviously be light nights- as well as the additional Saturday's that don't have league games scheduled.

It would also allow a fixture list to be put in place for the whole season as there could be a high confidence in games actually being played when they're supposed to.

Agree with this

It won’t work until clubs have floodlights, that is the harsh reality of it, you also want to compress the season into 8 months (March-October) with 4 months of not playing, I can’t seeing many people being happy with that.

Midweek games with no lights becomes impossible after the first week in September so you’d have 7 or 8 weeks where no midweek games can be played, so even if you are completely upto date with fixtures by the end of August (unlikely) any postponements after that would have to be played on a Saturday, extending the season into November and beyond.

We do need to play more in summer and less in winter, but a full summer season with the climax coming in the winter months is a non-starter unless clubs get lights and that won’t happen anytime soon. We need realistic and achievable improvements which can be implemented now, without too much fuss.

It won’t work until clubs have floodlights, that is the harsh reality of it, you also want to compress the season into 8 months (March-October) with 4 months of not playing, I can’t seeing many people being happy with that.

Midweek games with no lights becomes impossible after the first week in September so you’d have 7 or 8 weeks where no midweek games can be played, so even if you are completely upto date with fixtures by the end of August (unlikely) any postponements after that would have to be played on a Saturday, extending the season into November and beyond.

We do need to play more in summer and less in winter, but a full summer season with the climax coming in the winter months is a non-starter unless clubs get lights and that won’t happen anytime soon. We need realistic and achievable improvements which can be implemented now, without too much fuss.

I'd suggest that there will have been about four months worth of non football Saturday's between August 1st 2015 and August 1st 2016. Is it really any different if they come around with two months in summer and two in winter or all in winter?

I'd suggest that there will have been about four months worth of non football Saturday's between August 1st 2015 and August 1st 2016. Is it really any different if they come around with two months in summer and two in winter or all in winter?

Well I've suggested an alternative which means a 6-8 week break in the worst of the weather and a 4-5 week close season (13 weeks worst case).

You're suggesting an 18 week break, which may or may not happen that way given you're trying to finish a season in the winter months without lights.

I still believe the investment in youth and I don't mean money I mean time and patience. There's not a better game to watch than a full bloodied youth match full of energy. Why do you think Ayr Utd have tied up with Lugar? they realise all the benefits that come from allowing their youth players to mix it in the Junior game, you need to grow up quickly.

They are moving up the league with a few good results and Muirkirk improved dramatically. The SJFA are not going to change any format so let the clubs stand up for themselves and put together a long term strategy governed by a tight budget instead of throwing money at what can sometimes be described as has-beens where all the learning is out of them. Old dog new tricks etc. If 6 or 7 or even all of the ADL were to go down the youth route then in 2-3 years what a competitive league this would be.

Supporters will come out to watch a good team no matter what age the players are. But, to come and see their team challenging would be a huge boost and perhaps raise the awareness of the clubs in there community.

The clubs themselves have the power to change anything they want, whether that happens is another question.

The promotion of youth etc is absolutely the way to go, but is a different subject from getting the season into a better format that what we have at present. Both can happen at the same time.

Well I've suggested an alternative which means a 6-8 week break in the worst of the weather and a 4-5 week close season (13 weeks worst case).

You're suggesting an 18 week break, which may or may not happen that way given you're trying to finish a season in the winter months without lights.

Id like to think that there would be a break somewhere regarding the weather. The reason I prefer the summer season is to ensure that the league doesn't have a two month ( perhaps longer as many games called off in November and December as well as January and February) gap in the middle of it- id prefer the league to run right through and not be as stop start.

I also think we need to take into account the position in the market place and trying something different to see if it increases exposure to the product. Junior football is a separate entity and doesn't at the moment guy into the scottish football pyramid- as such the season doesn't have to fit in with what happens at the top and can be altered drastically. Be brave and go for it.

Archived