Junior Football needs to evolve or it will die

pollokfan87

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A personally think,, the lowland league,will be stronger than the juniors in the next few years,,and also think there should be a pyramid system for the top juniors ,,,,if I had a vote,, a would vote for ants, to go lowland league,,

I think Alexander Allan made a couple of good points about facilities. But Petershill apparently has all the mod cons but it is one of the most soulless grounds to visit.

However him dissing the quote of " I'm a juniors fan/man" is in my opinion off the mark because football is all about business at the top. Community and contribution is Junior football.

To let the Talbot and Linlithgow Rose to leave and go up the ladder is concerning. Just look at Celtic and Rangers if they were to leave the SPL.

I could go on but am sure others want to give opinion as well.

A personally think,, the lowland league,will be stronger than the juniors in the next few years,,and also think there should be a pyramid system for the top juniors ,,,,if I had a vote,, a would vote for ants, to go lowland league,,

The LL doesn't have a fanbase, at the central belt area anyway. In my opinion The SFA should have made the Juniors the next tier to the top level. Missed chance

Odd piece, and I'm not sure exactly what point he's trying to make apart from the fact he seems to love the word "sadly."

Seems to be advocating a handful of larger clubs either emulating or joining the Lowland League as some sort of cure for all the ills of the Junior game - do that, and the crowds will come flooding back - newsflash: barring a couple of high-profile Cup ties, that's not really happened for the existing LL teams - I've been to most of the LL grounds and crowds are comfortably sub-100 at the majority. Bottom line is attendances right across football are declining as there are more ways to spend your leisure time than ever before.

Away from the very top end of the Juniors, he doesn't seem to have much idea - or care - what happens to the remaining 150-odd clubs, apart from some vague stuff about finding their level in the amateurs or chucking it altogether such is their futility. Having claimed to have been on a Junior committee, he appears not too knowledgeable about the grade...sadly!

Comparing Talbot and the Rose to the Old Firm is a bit extreme.

I meant in perspective mate. No offence to other teams. Just that Talbot/Gow seem to be the big two at the moment. Could be any other teams next year. I was getting at the fact that this guy seems to think we should let the bigger junior teams move on I disagree

Odd piece, and I'm not sure exactly what point he's trying to make apart from the fact he seems to love the word "sadly."

Seems to be advocating a handful of larger clubs either emulating or joining the Lowland League as some sort of cure for all the ills of the Junior game - do that, and the crowds will come flooding back - newsflash: barring a couple of high-profile Cup ties, that's not really happened for the existing LL teams - I've been to most of the LL grounds and crowds are comfortably sub-100 at the majority. Bottom line is attendances right across football are declining as there are more ways to spend your leisure time than ever before.

Away from the very top end of the Juniors, he doesn't seem to have much idea - or care - what happens to the remaining 150-odd clubs, apart from some vague stuff about finding their level in the amateurs or chucking it altogether such is their futility. Having claimed to have been on a Junior committee, he appears not too knowledgeable about the grade...sadly!

Great response and I couldn't agree more mate.

No just junior football that needs to evolve.

The highland/lowland league pyramid produced Brora Rangers as the challengers to join the 4th tier of Scottish football last season after defeating Edinburgh City in the first playoff.

Before their final playoff v Montrose, Brora top brass openly admitted that promotion to Div 2 was all wrong for them financially, it was basically a non-starter.

No sure if Edinburgh City would have welcomed the opportunity or not?

Posted from mobile

No just junior football that needs to evolve.

The highland/lowland league pyramid produced Brora Rangers as the challengers to join the 4th tier of Scottish football last season after defeating Edinburgh City in the first playoff.

Before their final playoff v Montrose, Brora top brass openly admitted that promotion to Div 2 was all wrong for them financially, it was basically a non-starter.

No sure if Edinburgh City would have welcomed the opportunity or not?

Posted from mobile

The Edinburgh City lads are desperate to get into the SPFL League 2. Being old Meadowbank fans, it's where they believe their home is.

Quite a doom and gloom report from this guy. Disagree with a lot he has to say. He seems to forget about the amount of positives there are in the juniors.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and he can keep his IMO lol!

If you can set out some positives I'd love to read them because I can't think of many, if any.

Think this equates to the whole of Scottish football especially the attendance factor as all you have to do is look at Celtic Park every other week. A half empty stadium is a common occurrence throughout the senior leagues & not just the juniors

Kids ain't interested in going to games there as well as here

At Kilbirnie we are 1 if the lucky clubs where we still get a lot of youth & kids following the club & at half time kids are still on the park playing . Facilities are getting upgraded all the time & we have good facilities re food & toilet & 2 covered stands .

Teams have always fell by the wayside from Third Lanark to Meadowbank & latterly Clydebank , Airdrie & Gretna so it's not just a junior problem .

Think this equates to the whole of Scottish football especially the attendance factor as all you have to do is look at Celtic Park every other week. A half empty stadium is a common occurrence throughout the senior leagues & not just the juniors

Kids ain't interested in going to games there as well as here

At Kilbirnie we are 1 if the lucky clubs where we still get a lot of youth & kids following the club & at half time kids are still on the park playing . Facilities are getting upgraded all the time & we have good facilities re food & toilet & 2 covered stands .

Teams have always fell by the wayside from Third Lanark to Meadowbank & latterly Clydebank , Airdrie & Gretna so it's not just a junior problem .

Saw someone on Twitter state that due to the ryanair sale he could get to yesterday's barca game from glasgow and then get in for the same amount as it would have cost him to get from Glasgow to and then get into the stenny-Brechin game. Absolute madness

What an absolute clusterfuck of an article, I'd be embarrassed to have written that or to actually post a link to it.

"why should Linlithgow Rose spend a fortune on getting licenced only to have the same say as lowly Coupar Angus" Did the halfwit who wrote that know anything about Scottish Football and the voting structure, if for example the Rose were to join the LL and progress into the SPFL is it right that lowly Linlithgow Rose have the same say as the bigot brothers? Is that what the writer is actually expecting to happen?

Shit, bumper crowds are gone - I hadn't noticed that at all over the past 35 years, attendances at every level of football are lower than they were in the halcyon days of post war Britain.

"Kids get screamed at if they run on the pitch" - aye and they would get lifted if they tried it at any SPFL ground, again the writer doesn't seem to have any actual understanding of football at different levels and I also must have missed all of the things that kids can do at the likes of Montrose, East Stirling and Dundee United.

The East Super League team went out of existence for well documented reasons, to wrongly lump them in with the piss poor argument being made once more shows the writer to be a complete moron.

Archived