Tennis Match Fixing

Stephen Malkmus

A story has just gone up on the BBC Sport website about match fixing in tennis, including matches at Wimbledon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35319202

I'm glad the spotlight that has been shone on various other sports / governing bodies is now shining on tennis, as there is so much potential for corruption and doping cover-ups to take place within the ITF. Hopefully this investigation is just the starting point when it comes to exposing a lot of that stuff.

Judging by the locations of the betting syndicates mentioned in the article, looks like there must have been some Mafia involvement. Any guesses as to what players may be implicated in this? Davydenko is a certainty in my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No names been released?

"The BBC and Buzzfeed News have decided not to name the players because without access to their phone, bank and computer records it is not possible to determine if they may be been personally taking part in match fixing."

The Buzzfeed article is better than the BBC one: http://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/the-tennis-racket

ABC News in Australia reports

• A US Open champion and doubles winners at Wimbledon were among a core group of 16 players who had repeatedly been reported for losing games when highly suspicious bets have been placed against them;
  • One top-50 ranked player competing in the Australian Open is suspected of repeatedly fixing his first set;
  • Players were being targeted in hotel rooms at major tournaments and offered $US50,000 ($73,100) or more per fix by corrupt gamblers;
  • Gambling syndicates in Russia and Italy have made hundreds of thousands of pounds sterling placing highly suspicious bets on scores of matches — including at Wimbledon and the French Open;
  • The names of more than 70 players appear on nine leaked lists of suspected fixers who have been flagged to world tennis authorities over the past decade without being sanctioned.

ABC News in Australia reports

• A US Open champion and doubles winners at Wimbledon were among a core group of 16 players who had repeatedly been reported for losing games when highly suspicious bets have been placed against them;
  • One top-50 ranked player competing in the Australian Open is suspected of repeatedly fixing his first set;
  • Players were being targeted in hotel rooms at major tournaments and offered $US50,000 ($73,100) or more per fix by corrupt gamblers;
  • Gambling syndicates in Russia and Italy have made hundreds of thousands of pounds sterling placing highly suspicious bets on scores of matches — including at Wimbledon and the French Open;
  • The names of more than 70 players appear on nine leaked lists of suspected fixers who have been flagged to world tennis authorities over the past decade without being sanctioned.

Would hazard a guess at Cilic being the US open champion mentioned.

"The BBC and Buzzfeed News have decided not to name the players because without access to their phone, bank and computer records it is not possible to determine if they may be been personally taking part in match fixing."

The Buzzfeed article is better than the BBC one: http://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/the-tennis-racket

That's quite interesting. No indication as to weather it's male, female or both?

Imagine the outrage if one of the "big" guys got caught up in this (Fed, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray etc)

They get paid too much unless they got caught up in it in the early days and are being blackmailed.

I'd love it if Djokovic was involved somehow, as unlikely as it is I just can't stand the guy for some reason.

Federer would be the one I'd most like to see caught up in it. I find his squeaky clean persona quite irritating and his supporters insufferable.

Federer would be the one I'd most like to see caught up in it. I find his squeaky clean persona quite irritating and his supporters insufferable.

You might even say Blairite in his pretendy sincerity and empathy on demand.

I could have written that article myself. I have been telling people this exact story for years, and just like when it comes to drugs cheats, tennis just wants to sweep it under the carpet. The summer of 2008 was shameful with blatantly fixed matches on an almost daily basis, and nothing done about it. It's not quite as bad, or as blatant now, but tennis is forever just wanting to avoid the scandal that would ensue by tacking the problem.

I could have written that article myself. I have been telling people this exact story for years, and just like when it comes to drugs cheats, tennis just wants to sweep it under the carpet. The summer of 2008 was shameful with blatantly fixed matches on an almost daily basis, and nothing done about it. It's not quite as bad, or as blatant now, but tennis is forever just wanting to avoid the scandal that would ensue by tacking the problem.

If you could spot the fix from the odds movements you could make a killing though?

Not if you don't know in advance because the people who do know have manipulated the odds in their favour. The fixers don't lose every match on purpose, but if you know who they are you're just extremely wary about ever betting on them to win.

Tennis has a bigger problem with corruption and performance enhancing drugs than any other major sport, and by some distance.

Not if you don't know in advance because the people who do know have manipulated the odds in their favour. The fixers don't lose every match on purpose, but if you know who they are you're just extremely wary about ever betting on them to win.

Tennis has a bigger problem with corruption and performance enhancing drugs than other other major sport, and by some distance.

Have to say I just read your signature link and some excellent advice there.

Imagine the outrage if one of the "big" guys got caught up in this (Fed, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray etc)

I don't think any of them will be caught up in this sort of thing, but if there's a similar scandal relating to drug use, then I'd be amazed if Nadal wasn't implicated.

Archived