Celtic V St Johnstone, 23/1/16

I'd agree with Radford. From where I was sitting, it didn't look like it crossed the line.

Lappin was fine. He worked hard and pressed Celtic very well at times. I actually think that this kind of game suits him particularly well, rather than a match in which we're considered to be the better team and are expected to take the initiative. A lot of his good work takes place off the ball. For me, since signing for the club, he has rarely shown positive/successful end product when in possession of the ball.

Mikey was my MotM today. Still not at the same level as some of his performances during the first half of the season, but a significant improvement on his recent displays.

Despite losing (and dropping to 5th place), I'm reasonably happy with what I saw today. We created a handful of decent chances, although Celtic's attacking players sliced through the centre of our defence far too often in the second half. Mannus made a fair amount of decent saves. Most importantly, we scored a goal and the final scoreline was respectable. We can take confidence through to the semi-final.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikey was my MotM today. Still not at the same level as some of his performances during the first half of the season, but a significant improvement on his recent displays.

I was disappointed by him today. He was exciting when he got the ball but unless it was the exact pass he wanted, he wasn't interested. Away at Celtic, everyone has to do their shift as well and when he moved up front, he didn't do that.

Central defence is a worry for me. Thought the Darren McGregor link back in August was a strange one but how we could have done with pulling it off. Not sure how I'd go at the back next week but my front six would be: Wotherspoon, Davidson, Lappin, Craig; O'Halloran, MacLean.

I was disappointed by him today. He was exciting when he got the ball but unless it was the exact pass he wanted, he wasn't interested. Away at Celtic, everyone has to do their shift as well and when he moved up front, he didn't do that.

Central defence is a worry for me. Thought the Darren McGregor link back in August was a strange one but how we could have done with pulling it off. Not sure how I'd go at the back next week but my front six would be: Wotherspoon, Davidson, Lappin, Craig; O'Halloran, MacLean.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but he did provide the assist for our goal (and potentially another one if Liam had shown more composure in the one-on-one with Craig Gordon). There's plenty of room for improvement, of course, but he's always capable of that moment of magic. We were generally quite well-drilled as a team and Mikey didn't always contribute to that effort. Nonetheless, he looked like our most dangerous attacking outlet and our only real chance of getting back into the game as the match wore on.

I'd still be inclined to see MacLean and Cummins up front with O'Halloran on the right wing. I prefer Mikey as a winger (although Tommy's decision to play him up front against Rangers was an inspired move). My personal dilemma would be 'Lappin or Craig?'.

Cummins was lost on the left today and not really at it last week. I think the Hibs game might be too early for him. Same for Millar. Is he even back training? I'd forget about looking at him on Thursday or Friday and can you even trust him not to break down after 10 minutes?

If Mackay could perform at right back as he has in the past I'd sacrifice the threat of Shaughnessy from his throws but with Mackay's form, I think it's too big a weapon on that tight pitch to just ignore.

I can't see Mackay not starting the Semi tbh, and imagine today was almost a "win your place" game for Scobbie, which I don't think he passed.

It was a good game today. Celtic had to work extremely hard for the win. St Johnstone were well up for it closing down very quickly all over the park.

There was certainly something in the lead up to the third but I had my Wenger specs on and didn't see it all but it was a surprise the ref let play carry on.

Good to see GMS back on form, blinding game from him.

Next weeks semi Hibs v Saints looks like being a smashing game. St Johnstone should win if they can handle being favourites.

We played some really good stuff today, the last three games in fact we have really played the football the side is capable of, granted Dundee Utd and Hamilton were abysmal, St Johnstone not quite as bad today and put up more of a fight, CG had a couple of good saves at important times but we always looked comfortable as soon as goal number 3 went in, Armstrong's mind you was a peach, goal of the day.

Could the next meeting between the two sides be the League Cup final in March?

Archived