Team 16?

edinabear

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confirmed (as predicted) Hawick Royal Albert and C S Strollers are both promoted to the Lowland League for 2016/17. We wish them success.

The Lowland League has 'come of age', with Edinburgh City becoming the first club to win promotion to the SPFL, and the promotion of two EoSL clubs bringing its membership to 16 clubs, as required from the outset.

East Stirlingshire is also a welcome addition, and we hope that a spell in the LL will enable the club to sort out its problems regarding its proposed new ground at Grangemouth, or such other venue as may be decided.

Saw today that Girvan are the latest team to get their licence, and although more likely they have got it to preserve their Scottish Cup entrance, it does add to the number of clubs outwith the HL / LL that are licenced and dont have access to / are not part of the pyramid

I wonder how many more teams will actually get a licence in the next few years.  That's all of the old SFA members with a licence now (apart from St. Cuthberts and Newton Stewart).  Then there's been a few others like East Kilbride, BSC, Cumbernauld, Linlithgow, Banks O'Dee etc.  Nine first teams (excluding St. Cuthberts and Newton Stewart because I'm sure they'll have one soon enough) left unlicensed in each of the East and South of Scotland leagues but I've only really read about Duns aiming for a licence.  Hopefully there are some other clubs out there (including juniors...and I know Haddington and Clydebank have been mentioned) aiming for one too because it would freshen things up a bit.

The Scottish Cup will be up to 93 teams next season which must be the highest for a long time.  I'd love to eventually see an FA Cup style qualifying system with far more teams involved but that's a long way away (if it ever happens).

Will Newton Stewart be in the cup next season, having neither got licensed in time or won SOSL?

Plenty clubs claim ambitions, but among the EOS and SOS non-members only Duns seem to have actually been undertaking substantial works on the ground (although others have enclosed - e.g. Eyemouth). Ormiston and HW are moving pitches which could help towards long-term development.

Tynecastle's relocation from Fernieside to Saughton Morass is presumably licensed-related, long-term?

Saw today that Girvan are the latest team to get their licence, and although more likely they have got it to preserve their Scottish Cup entrance, it does add to the number of clubs outwith the HL / LL that are licenced and dont have access to / are not part of the pyramid

Presumably they had to sign up to the commitment to progression clause that was added, so that could provide the precedent of it being OK to be in the SJFA rather than the EoS and SoS leagues, now that the LL is up to its full compliment of 16. Suspect we'll see some central belt junior clubs slowly taking the plunge on licensing in the years ahead if that is the case, if only to get Scottish Cup entry.

But, does anyone know whether within the next few years , the SFA intends to restrict entry into the Scottish Cup to only those clubs who hold a current Entry License, which would mean that the unlicensed Super Region Junior Club champions(W, E & N) & the SJFA cup winners, would no longer be able to enter the Scottish FA Cup ? Nor in the future, would any unlicensed champions of the EoSL and the SoSL be able to enter.

Perhaps the Girvan situation means that the SFA has relaxed/withdrawn its earlier suggestion (intention ?) that licences would only be given to clubs which commit to the senior non-league "pyramid" ? In addition to Girvan, there are 4 other licensed/non-pyramid clubs, namely Banks O'Dee**, Golspie Sutherland**, Linlithgow Rose, and Glasgow University.

(** these two clubs cannot progress within the "pyramid", as there is no Highland feeder league at present) 

Pretty sure there was a vote a while ago which means unlicensed clubs can continue to get into the Scottish Cup if they win the junior cup/leagues, Eos, Sos leagues and now the amateur cup. I can't remember exactly but possibly there was a proposal to exclude those clubs but it was voted against. Others on here will know the details better.

I hope more clubs can get a licence. More interesting with more clubs in the Scottish Cup and it's a good reward for clubs who make an effort off the pitch. There must be quite a few junior clubs who could achieve a licence if they tried. I know there are financial issues in getting a licence but guaranteed entry into the cup every year and the chance of progressing to a big tie would help them a lot.

The Scottish Cup will be up to 93 teams next season which must be the highest for a long time.  I'd love to eventually see an FA Cup style qualifying system with far more teams involved but that's a long way away (if it ever happens).

I'd love to see everyone fired in at the first round.

• 2 months later...

St Cuthbert Wanderers have now achieved their licence according to SFA listing updated yesterday (August 19th).

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ClubLicensing/2015/180816CL current status.pdf

Means there will almost certainly be relegation from LL next spring as Edusport, St Cuthbert, Threave and Wigtown all licensed. Next attempt of Newton Stewart is October.

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

St Cuthbert Wanderers have now achieved their licence according to SFA listing updated yesterday (August 19th).

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ClubLicensing/2015/180816CL current status.pdf

Means there will almost certainly be relegation from LL next spring as Edusport, St Cuthbert, Threave and Wigtown all licensed. Next attempt of Newton Stewart is October.

Until a suitable excuse can be found  ??

can I find a suitable excuse for my team and go junior, having seen the Shire fans last week staying well behind enjoying themselves spending their hard earned behind the bar, teams like Bonnyrigg, Nitten, Penicuik et al would probably do the same at our place. 

If that's the way other teams are going in the Scottish then we should be thinking aboot it!

It shouldn't be but it potentially is gonnae be a free for all if ye have a license ?  

17 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Until a suitable excuse can be found  ??

can I find a suitable excuse for my team and go junior, having seen the Shire fans last week staying well behind enjoying themselves spending their hard earned behind the bar, teams like Bonnyrigg, Nitten, Penicuik et al would probably do the same at our place. 

If that's the way other teams are going in the Scottish then we should be thinking aboot it!

It shouldn't be but it potentially is gonnae be a free for all if ye have a license ?  

Your in the middle of a junior hotbed and would get better crowds with the amount of derby games.

I've read NB's post a couple of times now and struggled to decipher it - but if he's meaning he would like Whitehill to go Junior so they can play Midlothian clubs in Superleague (which of course requires going through District league and Premier division), while also continuing in the Scottish Cup (which of course assumes moving over with a licence would be OK'd) - it's worth noting SFA moved the goalposts from this season... Licensed clubs below or outwith HL / LL, and qualifiers, now contest preliminaries for 6 places in Scottish Cup proper.

58 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've read NB's post a couple of times now and struggled to decipher it - but if he's meaning he would like Whitehill to go Junior so they can play Midlothian clubs in Superleague (which of course requires going through District league and Premier division), while also continuing in the Scottish Cup (which of course assumes moving over with a licence would be OK'd) - it's worth noting SFA moved the goalposts from this season... Licensed clubs below or outwith HL / LL, and qualifiers, now contest preliminaries for 6 places in Scottish Cup proper.

HJ 

No saying that but having travelled myself across the Tyne Valley today and seeing what potentially could happen wi licensed teams I think we are Barking up the wrong tree in this league ?? 

I'd take my chances wi yer preliminaries by the way ?? 

District leagues 

Arniston Dalkeith, elsewhere other teams within 20 odd miles (very local teams within district and Premier) 

I'm expecting a hammering for this but if ww can play in "other" local leagues like these SOS teams then I'm all for it ?? 

As Cowden says junior hotbed,give us our license and  potential local games ??

Tell me that's wrong, I'm sure once other LL teams see what the Shire put into this league then maybe take my points on board ?? 

Archived