Team 16?

edinabear

How exactly have EK earned the right?

Think the way it works is you play in the early rounds. If you win, you earn the right to play in the next round and so on. Ultimately, when it gets down to 2 teams, that's the final and one of them wins, earning the right to play in Europe (or maybe not if it's a diddy team?)

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the way it works is you play in the early rounds. If you win, you earn the right to play in the next round and so on. Ultimately, when it gets down to 2 teams, that's the final and one of them wins, earning the right to play in Europe (or maybe not if it's a diddy team?)

I prefer East Kilbride Fizzle.

How long would East Stirlingshire or Albion Rovers last dropping out of the seniors.

Given that albion would have to drop into the league 2 for this to be a possibility I don't see it happening any time soon. Firmly asserted themselves as a very capable league 1 side and in the case of relegation, like last time, fully expect them to return to league 1 within 2 years max.

Something your club can only dream of now. If one or more of the "bigger" Glasgow junior clubs took the chance to join the farce, then it could have been one of them looking forward to the biggest game of their decades old histories. However I suppose they can all hold their collective heads up high and so "look we told you this Lowland League was a farce".

I think there may still be a Junior club in the Scottish Cup........

Another unanswered question, how do you get promoted into the Highland League? Golspie Sutherland have been licenced and presumably signed the pledge to engage with the Pyramid, so how exactly do they do they do that? How do Banks O'Dee get into the HL now that they are licenced?

The LL is not really in a strong bargaining position at present although it could be if it was a stronger league with some good stadiums and supports as the juniors always wanted.

So the present situation with a playoff was in many ways a breakthrough as the Scottish League had been a closed shop all its days. However when was the last time anybody listened to the fans?

Not strictly true.

Teams are relegated and promoted between the divisions, but relegation from the third

division does not happen (from the 2005-06 season onwards, dismissal from the third Division will

occur if the club finishes bottom three seasons in a row).

McLeish Review; Part 2, p.46.

Almost a closed shop!

I wouldn't rely on too much of the detail in that - there were numerous factual inaccuracies and several hilarious typos or spelling mistakes.

What came into force was a system whereby a club finishing bottom for 2 seasons running would face a vote at an SFL AGM, to be demoted to Associate Member status. They would then have another 2 seasons to show signs of improvement and be voted back into Full Member status, otherwise they would drop out of the league... I have an old SFL rulebook here just now.

It was widely understood that "improvement" would be not finishing bottom, so you would have to finish bottom 4 years running and lose at least 2 votes. East Stirlingshire once faced the first vote and won.

It was an insult to call it a system of access.

I think there may still be a Junior club in the Scottish Cup........

Another unanswered question, how do you get promoted into the Highland League? Golspie Sutherland have been licenced and presumably signed the pledge to engage with the Pyramid, so how exactly do they do they do that? How do Banks O'Dee get into the HL now that they are licenced?

I think Cic was referring to (against a poster obviously upset of the LL by the way) the fact that some of Glasgow s biggest junior clubs had they went Lowland would possibly be looking forward to a game against probably the biggest club in Scotland now.

We are all aware that there is still a junior team in the competition but with no disrespect to Ross County the said junior side left are hardly jumping through hoops and have the matter of getting through from the last round 1st of which I'm certain is very much on their minds rather than premiership opposition ;)

I think Cic was referring to (against a poster obviously upset of the LL by the way) the fact that some of Glasgow s biggest junior clubs had they went Lowland would possibly be looking forward to a game against probably the biggest club in Scotland now.

We are all aware that there is still a junior team in the competition but with no disrespect to Ross County the said junior side left are hardly jumping through hoops and have the matter of getting through from the last round 1st of which I'm certain is very much on their minds rather than premiership opposition ;)

The point being of course it's the luck of the draw. EK could just have easily drawn Forfar or Linlithgow. ....

The point being of course it's the luck of the draw. EK could just have easily drawn Forfar or Linlithgow. ....
No, you have missed the point. If any of the big Glasgow junior clubs (or any other for that matter) had decided to join the LL then no doubt EK would not have been accepted into the league. Their progress would not have been so rapid. Instead of EK getting the perhaps the biggest pay day of any non league club ever, then one of the "big" junior clubs possibly could have been getting it. I am sure their treasurer won't care about being a club with no history playing in a farce of a league.

No, you have missed the point. If any of the big Glasgow junior clubs (or any other for that matter) had decided to join the LL then no doubt EK would not have been accepted into the league. Their progress would not have been so rapid. Instead of EK getting the perhaps the biggest pay day of any non league club ever, then one of the "big" junior clubs possibly could have been getting it. I am sure their treasurer won't care about being a club with no history playing in a farce of a league.

The point being that Junior clubs still enter the Scottish Cup and can still draw Celtic or Rangers or whoever. EK drawing Celtic is not a sign of great progress for the LL, it's luck of the draw and a great thing for EK as a club. Would they have been there if Junior clubs had joined LL? Perhaps, or they might have joined the SoSFL and still been licenced and still entered the Scottish Cup and still drawn Celtic. Just as in theory Glasgow University can do without being in LL.

The point being that Junior clubs still enter the Scottish Cup and can still draw Celtic or Rangers or whoever. EK drawing Celtic is not a sign of great progress for the LL, it's luck of the draw and a great thing for EK as a club. Would they have been there if Junior clubs had joined LL? Perhaps, or they might have joined the SoSFL and still been licenced and still entered the Scottish Cup and still drawn Celtic. Just as in theory Glasgow University can do without being in LL.

Can I ask why it really bothers you then Burnie_man ??

Think you are projecting your own obsessions onto other people. I don't think there is any huge seethe over EKFC getting the game against Celtic, because what is likely to be at best a once in a generation opportunity for a LL club like that doesn't make up for the many perceived drawbacks to the LL.

Is this all the licensed clubs in the catchment area: Burntisland Shipyard, Civil Service Strollers, Coldstream, Hawick Royal Albert, Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert Wanderers, Wigtown & Bladnoch, Girvan, Linlithgow Rose, Glasgow University and Golspie Sutherland?

Does that mean they're the only ones who can apply?

Our non-league set up hurts my brain

Think you are projecting your own obsessions onto other people. I don't think there is any huge seethe over EKFC getting the game against Celtic, because what is likely to be at best a once in a generation opportunity for a LL club like that doesn't make up for the many perceived drawbacks to the LL.

My obsessions :D

Burnie_man is one of the better junior posters on here by the way,certain ones just can't help themselves though :D

Nobody mentioned seething think any non league club whether junior,eos,sos,Lowland or hfl has to look on with envy at the EK tie,yes it won't come around very often but there's a bigger chance of it if yer either licensed or in the Highland, Lowland leagues ?

Is this all the licensed clubs in the catchment area: Burntisland Shipyard, Civil Service Strollers, Coldstream, Hawick Royal Albert, Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert Wanderers, Wigtown & Bladnoch, Girvan, Linlithgow Rose, Glasgow University and Golspie Sutherland?

Are Newton Stewart Licensed? I was there on Saturday and I left slightly early as I was getting soaked because there was no cover. I thought that was a requirement.

Edited to add No perimeter fence as well, so they can't be licensed.

Not licensed.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ClubLicensing/2015/101215CL%20current%20status.pdf

Sutherland isn't south of the Tay.

Archived