Worst Football Commentator

I am utterly astonished that it has taken two and a half pages before Derek Ferguson got nominated for this. Every time he is on I think he has been put in this position for a joke. "The sublime cross came in from the right and he controlled it magnificently before striking it aff the baur"! I'm naturally assuming that he doesn't get paid for this, however you would think that he would at least listen to himself after the event and try to improve? Comedy Gold.

Cringeworthy in the extreme :(

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He must have an inner ear imbalance.

Two years ago on Open All Mics he alleged that Raith Rovers were shooting down the slope at Starks Park.

The slope at Starks Park was eliminated in 1995 when the ground was redeveloped.

To be fair, barely a Hibs game goes past when somebody doesn't mention the Easter Road slope, despite having it removed decades ago.

Ferguson apparently said the other night that if you cut Dougie Imrie open he would bleed red.

I wish Tom English or someone had said, well unless he's a Vulcan I would expect so.

Pearce is a totally different commentator when doing Bundesliga/Serie A games on BT Sport. He's actually quite good but repulses me completely when he's on MotD. Bizarre.

The worst commentator is Liam McLeod, the worst summariser/co-commentator is without any doubt Derek Ferguson. I'm genuinely surprised he even turns up at the right ground.

I think some commentators are suited to certain games. Liam McLeod, even though I find him very hard to listen to, is quite suited to Scottish football as his over the top enthusiasm is needed to brighten up a pretty rotten spectacle.

Alan Green is the definitely the worst of the mainstream commentators. His attitude is of someone who thinks he is there to be entertained and he takes it personally when he is not, as if he's sacrificed his own time and money going to watch it, when the reality is he is being paid handsomely by license payers to sit and talk about football. I'm not asking for Liam McLeod levels of childish enthusiasm, but somewhere in between that and his almost suicidal demeanour would be nice.

It can also depend on who the co-commentator is too. For example Green is even worse when he's with Lawrenson as the two of them just bounce off each other, in completely the wrong way. Martin Tyler is also a lot better, or was, when he had a stronger character like Gray or Neville beside him to keep him in check. When he has a meaningless nobody like Alan Smith he gets a bit big for his boots and forgets that he's there just to commentate and not to constantly give his opinion.

You maybe need to have lived in North America to have had the misfortune of listening to him, but ESPN's "stick it in the old onion bag" guy (Tommy Smyth?) takes some beating. Always found a way to work in some bizarre anti-Rangers angle to play to his Irish bar gallery. Could never make my mind up whether his dis and dat style accent was genuine or was being exagerated to fit the stereotypes of his American audience.

Worst Commentator - Toss up between Pearce and Green.

Best Commentator - Barry Davies

Underrated Commentator - Jock Brown, always liked his commentary

Worst Summariser - David Pleat, Mark Lawrenson not far behind although I think Chris Suttom will overtake both.

Best Summariser - Jim Beglin, also dont mind Davie Provan and Ray Wilkins.

Underrated Summariser - Ian St John

Liam McLeod was simply disgraceful during yesterday's semi-final.

He was the same during St Johnstone's pasting of Sevco at Ibrox recently. It's like he's scared he'll have to take a wage cut if the Old Firm don't make the final, due to lack of viewing figures.

Peter drury was in full on cockwomble mode before the Everton game yesterday. Incredibly patronising and up himself, I don't know who he thinks watches football.

He's always been that way. Still remember the shite he spouted when commentating on South Africa at the World Cup in 2010.

Commentator Alan Green

Co Commentator Joint award to Andy Walker , Stan Collymore and Derek Ferguson.

I hate Collymore with a passion. He once went on a 30 minute diatribe about the cheating, diving foreigners after the Madrid - Barca CL semi 1st leg 2011. He invited listeners to call in to discuss how awful the game was. He had to eventually admit that he hadn't seen any of the game as he was commentating on another one for talksport.

Micheal Stewart

He's a smug chunt, but I like him.

He's not a commentator but I loathe and detest Andy Jacobs from the Hawksbee and Jacobs show on talksport. A complete passenger with nothing good to say about anything, ever.

Archived