The Expanse

banana

On 11/01/2022 at 21:52, NotThePars said:

Another enjoyable series but I’ve no idea how they wrap this up in one episode. I have the feeling that the creators are hoping it gets picked up elsewhere as there’s 3 additional books to adapt and they’ve already begun bringing in elements from the Laconia trilogy.

I've not read the books but it is on my list of things to do.

Spoiler

However they wrapped up the Marcos/Free Navy storyline. There was a lot of sequel baiting in that episode though for a future series.

Changing the way Drummer ends up there by having Holden pull a Holden was great writing. Fair play to the writers. By and large that’s how you do an adaptation. Often faithful but being happy to make changes where required. A great series and I would be happy with it ending there unless it gets picked up by someone who does it justice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I read the books recently - tremendous. 

I then went to watch the show and it is a very good adaptation. A few changes needed for TV, and some perhaps not so (Alex's death for example). 

It seems odd to have left it so unfinished. No Laconia invasion, no fight with the creatures that destroyed the protomolecule creators and so on. 

Still very good.

On 20/07/2022 at 16:59, scottsdad said:

I read the books recently - tremendous. 

I then went to watch the show and it is a very good adaptation. A few changes needed for TV, and some perhaps not so (Alex's death for example). 

It seems odd to have left it so unfinished. No Laconia invasion, no fight with the creatures that destroyed the protomolecule creators and so on. 

Still very good.

It would have needed another 2 or 3 seasons to properly follow through on the Laconian storyline, and i've no idea how they would deal with the 30 odd year time jump that happens in the books either.

I liked the way that they left the TV show, acknowledging that the story wasn't finished.  Maybe Amazon will give us a couple of standalone movies one day to finish it properly if there is the demand for it.

• 6 months later...

Huge fan of the books for several years, and absolutely love the series too. The casting is absolutely perfect and it looks amazing. I still vividly remember reading the passage where the Ring emerges and sitting bolt upright going YOU FUCKING WHAT haha

I was not a huge fan of the whole Free Navy storyline though, it felt like it belonged earlier in the series of books, if you know what I mean, with all the civil war and fighting between the human factions. The Laconia storyline is bonkers and deserves being brought to the screen, but the aging of the characters might rule that out for obvious reasons. 

Currently watching the entire thing through again for the 2nd time, which includes about the 4th or 5th run through for Seasons 1-3. They're worth it.

30 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Huge fan of the books for several years, and absolutely love the series too. The casting is absolutely perfect and it looks amazing. I still vividly remember reading the passage where the Ring emerges and sitting bolt upright going YOU FUCKING WHAT haha

I was not a huge fan of the whole Free Navy storyline though, it felt like it belonged earlier in the series of books, if you know what I mean, with all the civil war and fighting between the human factions. The Laconia storyline is bonkers and deserves being brought to the screen, but the aging of the characters might rule that out for obvious reasons. 

Currently watching the entire thing through again for the 2nd time, which includes about the 4th or 5th run through for Seasons 1-3. They're worth it.

I love the books. The imagery on the page is amazing.