The Expanse

banana

On 21/02/2020 at 09:54, KnightswoodBear said:

I actually like that they have this almost impenetrable patois.  I think that it's realistic that in the hundred or so years that humans have been out mining in the belt that the gold rush of humanity that chose to leave an over crowded Earth would throw together dialects  from the whole planet and you'd end up with something like this.

There's the subtle things as well - far more gestures that are easily seen in a space suit. 

I think they've done a really good job sticking close to the books.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Season 5 out on 16th December.

Has been renewed for season 6 which will be the last season. Probably a good place to stop the TV show given the changes in book 7 onwards.

Actor who plays Alex won't be back for season 6 due to sexual harassment allegations.

I wonder how they'll write out Alex in the show.

I started reading the books over the summer and tbh I think I prefer the show. The show makes a lot of decisions about the way they portray specific characters and with replacing others that I think generally resolves any issues I had with the book. Not to dismiss the books though which are enjoyable. I should probably finish book 3 and keep going.

Looking forward to season 5. I started watching as a cleanse for the final season of Game of Thrones and I'm glad it did as they successfully nail the premise and raise the stakes every season in a really satisfying way. The casting is terrific as well. Holden is as annoying but likeable as he should be, Amos is class and a great wildcard. Avasarala gets toned down from being a bit of a sweary grandma in the novels with Aghdashloo being a stand out cast member and Miller manages to make the somewhat creepy Miller a lot more melancholic than I felt he was in the books.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere that they’re going to end the show fairly soon and build the finale around the end of a major shift in the book’s focus. Choosing not to read further into this because it’s adding a lot of suspense to the season’s two looming threats because I feel like both can feasibly happen!

Or I’ll go back to book three of The Expanse and rush past to the big change.

ETA: or maybe the game changing twist is finding out he’s called Timmy.

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2021 at 23:38, NewBornBairn said:

Enjoyed that. Great way to write out a main character too. 

Aye I wasn't sure how they were going to write them out but turns out they just went with (book spoilers)

Spoiler

how Fred died in the books. 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Was very good. Better be a 6th season 

You're welcome.

6th season is the last season but the finale of the 5th brought in stuff that becomes a fixture of the books after so couldn't tell you what the plans for the final season are.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another enjoyable series but I’ve no idea how they wrap this up in one episode. I have the feeling that the creators are hoping it gets picked up elsewhere as there’s 3 additional books to adapt and they’ve already begun bringing in elements from the Laconia trilogy.