Ballon D'Or 2015:Messi back on top of world

football10

tumblr_o0uu0asGgA1u3v7j3o2_500.jpg

Much has changed since, just 12 months ago, a disgruntled Messi, fresh from losing a World Cup final and disillusioned with coach Luis Enrique's regime at Barcelona, sat in stony silence as Ronaldo announced his intention to hunt down the Argentine's then-record four Ballon d'Or haul.

tumblr_o0uu0asGgA1u3v7j3o1_500.jpg

A year on, the roles were reversed, Messi's record now even further beyond Ronaldo's reach in the personal duel between the two men who have taken standards to unseen heights in their domination of the sport during the past decade.

tumblr_o0sy1z35aQ1sjs0vfo1_500.gif

Rarely has there been such little debate over who was the deserving winner. Even in the Spanish capital, unlike in previous years, there was no campaign for Ronaldo in the year he became Real Madrid's all-time leading goalscorer.

tumblr_o0t63boV0d1qjexqoo1_500.gif

tumblr_o0t63boV0d1qjexqoo2_500.gif

In Zurich last year, Messi had even cast doubt on his future at Barcelona. His benching for a 1-0 defeat to Real Sociedad the most ignominious start to what would turn out to be the second most successful in Barca's 116-year history.

tumblr_o0t3ih9a1K1qjexqoo3_400.giftumblr_o0t3ih9a1K1qjexqoo4_400.gif

Messi missed an open training session with the club's fans, Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta was sacked and club legend Carles Puyol walked.

tumblr_o0tbyqsjOA1tet16lo1_1280.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have huge admiration for Messi and for his club, but he's not been the best or most influential player at Barcelona for months.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Suarez had made a big difference along with Neymar improving, but Messi is still the main man. He scored in finals and who can forget how performances against city and bayern.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, the_saints_are_coming said:

Unlucky.

Are you the new Supras? You are allowed to have an opinion without stuffing it in the face of everyone you interact with.

3 minutes ago, the_saints_are_coming said:

The fanboys are spewing this morning. Your boy has had an absolute mare this month, compounded by the greatest ever last night.

Messi isn't "my boy" and I have defended Ronaldo in this tournament but your patter has become tired and unnecessary.

4 minutes ago, the_saints_are_coming said:

Calendar month.

Only ok to mention Messi and Ronaldo when Messi wins something or has a good match. Gottcha.

You've got problems, man.

Archived