2016 Scottish Parliament Election

Elixir

For me, the SNP have to let me know what the plan is post-referendum. It's been a great time for the SNP, but what now?

The 56 in Parliament can't do much other than sit there as a constant reminder of the mood in Scotland.

What are the plans at Holyrood in terms of a vision for the future? If we need independence, how are we getting there? Do we go for full fiscal autonomy first? When will the next referendum be and will it be for FFA or independence? What are the plans in the meantime?

The noises from the Green Party annoy me at times, but they seem to have a better voice on land reform, especially if Andy Wightman could get elected.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Terrifying zealotry of "both votes SNP"

The SNP really don't need my vote round here.

I'll be voting on the constituency and on the list for others who are pro-indy. It's not healthy to have one monolith dominating Scottish politics. It makes for bad government and disengaged democracy.

It was great seeing the SNP utterly humiliate Labour in elections since 2011. But the SNP is now firmly established as a party of government and the still-burning shambles that was Scottish Labour doesn't really need to be worried about anymore..

I'm not a Nationalist but I want Scottish independence. Whilst other parties, such as the Greens, support this policy there's no doubt in my mind the party that is leading and will continue to lead the arguement for Independence is the SNP. On that basis I want them as dominant as possible.

It's funny how the chattering classes never saw a political party with a dominant position as a problem before. Apparently it was (is) OK for both Labour and the Tories, even when that domination is based on a far less fair electoral system.

I'll be voting on the constituency and on the list for others who are pro-indy. It's not healthy to have one monolith dominating Scottish politics. It makes for bad government and disengaged democracy.

It was great seeing the SNP utterly humiliate Labour in elections since 2011. But the SNP is now firmly established as a party of government and the still-burning shambles that was Scottish Labour doesn't really need to be worried about anymore..

That'll be why the SNP are having record levels of support for their governance?

I don't think Scottish politics is disengaged in any way shape or form.

Double dunt SNP for me. When we achieve independence, then I'll look at how I cast my votes again.

I'm not a Nationalist but I want Scottish independence. Whilst other parties, such as the Greens, support this policy there's no doubt in my mind the party that is leading and will continue to lead the arguement for Independence is the SNP. On that basis I want them as dominant as possible.

It's funny how the chattering classes never saw a political party with a dominant position as a problem before. Apparently it was (is) OK for both Labour and the Tories, even when that domination is based on a far less fair electoral system.

I'm not sure who the "chattering classes" are meant to be, but most people I know have had a problem with largely unchallenged government, dating back to the monolithic Thatcher years.

I'm not sure who the "chattering classes" are meant to be, but most people I know have had a problem with largely unchallenged government, dating back to the monolithic Thatcher years.

It's hardly the SNP's fault the opposition are useless. And to use that and say that they're governing badly is clear bollocks.

Confi going baws out staunch SNP for life while continually bemoaning the problems with a complacent, expecting-to-be-elected-every-time Labour party at every opportunity. Classic.

Clearly you're not paying attention.

I have said SNP until independence, then I shall reconsider my votes. Still, continue on with your point, it's just smashing.

Media trying to sow the seed of doubt imo

SNP will romp in :))

Gut feeling is that I'll go SNP:Greens; I view the SNP as being by far the most competent governing party (compare and contrast with Scottish Labour, who are just awful, and the Lib Dems, who are irrelevant) and by far the least cunty of the mainstream parties (see: the Tories and REMPLOY, among other disgusting policy choices I want absolutely no part of) while the Greens are the most credible "2nd largest" option I can think of within Holyrood; pro-independence, Patrick Harvie, heart in the right place vs. certain other parties caring about literally nothing but their electability and future career prospects.

Feel like a bit of a walking stereotype tbh

My response from my blog to the mewling whinery in that article and the arrogant entitlement bullshit that inspired it. TLDR etc etc

<p>Over the past few weeks I have detected an increasing friction between lots of people I respect and admire and others who I dont but perhaps agree with the substantive focus of their politics.</p>

<p>The issues seem to revolve around where people will be putting their list vote for the Holyrood elections and particularly what you should do if you want to see a pro-Indy parliament. As we get closer to polling day it is perfectly natural and democratically healthy to make the case for why one particular party should get your vote. </p>

<p>Indeed, before I go any further lets make it abundantly clear that I think if you believe that the policies of any one of the SNP, Greens, RISE or the 9% Growth Party are the ones that you agree with please vote for that party.</p>

<p>It is the responsibility of political parties and their activists to put forward a positive platform that appeals to the electorate. </p>

<p>When you start to use your vote to play the system you begin to get the sort of politics you deserve: Negative campaigning; Vote X to Keep Y out; forget the fact we arent very progressive imagine what the others might be like, talk of wasted votes and patronising accusations that people dont understand the system.</p>

<p>This is all a recipe for political stagnation and a check on progressive ideas and discussion as we, the electorate, become complicit in the creation of one or tother politics where you are either pro or anti Indy and your choices can only reflect these two positions.</p>

<p>Again for clarity I believe the single biggest hurdle to building a progressive nation is our constitutional situation and I will always work fight to create an independent Scotland. However, along the journey there is still the business of governing a country along the way and even within the pro indy movement, and indeed within the SNP, there are a number of views about what that looks like. </p>

<p>The unionists will always say the SNP are putting governance on hold to pursue our constitutional objectives. The SNP need to demonstrate that is not the case by being bold, progressive and ambitious in government, delivering for all people in Scotland and by working with other progressives to achieve that aim.</p>

<p>So let us look at #bothvotesSNP. First I will start with the beam in my own eye. Those of us who push #bothvotesSNP need to do so on the basis of the successes the SNP have had in government and why the people of Scotland should trust us with another majority government. Accusations that people are splitting the Indy vote, or worse unionist agent provocateurs are patronising and insulting. </p>

<p>Some of the commentary questioning whether or not some parties should even exist or some individuals should retire to the sidelines now Indyref is over are beneath contempt. </p>

<p>If we want the votes we work for them, nobody, even independence supporters, owes the SNP a vote or should be scared/ guilt tripped into giving us their vote. We dont need to look too far to see where electoral entitlement gets you.</p>

<p>However, it is also perfectly legitimate to challenge some of the nonsense. An SNP list vote is absolutely not a wasted vote. Firstly Scotland is not some homogenous whole. In the Highlands, South West Scotland and the Borders especially it is inconceivable that the SNP wouldnt be looking to pick up list seats. Even where the SNP is traditionally extremely strong, like in North East Scotland, the 2011 result shows us that even winning all 10 constituency seats is no impediment to picking up the last list seat. Indeed, I have heard it said that that last list seat denied the Greens another MSP even though they were still behind both Labour and Tories in the race for that last seat.</p>

<p>To my friends elsewhere in the Indy movement I would say the same. Go out and make the positive case for your party and why people should vote for you. Drop the SNP vote wasted guff. The obligation to keep politics positive, progressive and rich and nuanced in ideas is a responsibility that lies with you as well as the SNP. Also, dont be upset or frightened that the big bad SNP are pushing a strong line on this. Thats what political parties do, they campaign for every vote. </p>

<p>Some of the stuff I have seen written on the subject also seems to get very close to the One Party State nonsense peddled in the mainstream press. We can have theoretical conversations about what level of opposition is necessary for the functions of democracy (the Scottish football needs a strong Rangers argument) but that is not the concern of political parties. I hate to break it to you but in the SNP we are in it to win it and will campaign for every vote and all 129 seats.</p>

<p>Right now we are in an election campaign but in the future I look forward to once again working with pro-Indy progressives of all parties and none. Vote for who you want to vote for, try and be civil to and understanding to those who choose differently and most of all, especially if independence is the your ultimate aspiration, lets keep the heid and eyes on the prize we will all need to come together and work with each other again in the future.</p>

Archived