Scams

maicoman

15 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I was reading that the reason they put in typos, bad grammar and so on in these things isn't necessarily down to foreign origin or lack of attention to detail but rather down to the fact that the kind of people they'll get the best results out of are those who don't notice such things...they're effectively screening out the 95+% who will correctly identify it as a scam.

I seem to be getting a lot of scam traffic pertaining to my (non-existent) Amazon Prime account at the moment...

It's all Bitcoin for me right now - "we're about to close your account and you'll lose the tens of thousands that have accrued!"

Weird scattershot mix of companies the messages claim to be from, too. Amazon, Morrisons, Pets at Home, Postcode Lottery. Presumably that's to try and get past spam filters?

18 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

The thing I always love about the support part of the forum (and I know it’s not unique to here and every IT guy reading this will be banging their head on a wall) is when everyone is saying they have an issue and Div is going along saying “I can’t reproduce any of these errors in testing” 

Same for big companies online and then replying to individual users - do you want to PM us with the issue and we’ll help and you can see them trending on Twitter due to having a massive outage at the time.

Had this earlier today with my ISP - I called 2 different Technicians who said "dunno" yet the ISP hotline said there was a nationwide issue and the down website said the internet was, well, down. 

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I remember years ago, getting an email saying I had won $500,000 in the Dundee Football Clubs lottery, they even had last weeks winners holding a Wheel Of Fortune cheque.

Like I was going to fall for that! Dundee had been placed in Admin 1 the week before.

Unlucky timing. 

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Had this earlier today with my ISP - I called 2 different Technicians who said "dunno" yet the ISP hotline said there was a nationwide issue and the down website said the internet was, well, down. 

Surprised you had issues today @Div normally only takes the site down if St Mirren lose.

21 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I remember years ago, getting an email saying I had won $500,000 in the Dundee Football Clubs lottery, they even had last weeks winners holding a Wheel Of Fortune cheque.

Like I was going to fall for that! Dundee had been placed in Admin 1 the week before.

Was it Dundee that were trying to con you?

On 12/01/2016 at 22:19, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I think I can speak for every man, woman and child on this forum when I say pics or GTFO.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Speaking for children on an internet forum?? Definitely a member of the clergy.

Well, that escalated slowly.

Guest bernardblack
I would recommend Jim Browning on YouTube - he lets scammers connect to his computer as this lets him reverse the connection. His videos show scams happening as the scammer sees them with voice and sometimes video being recorded. 

This. His videos are excellent.

There was a BBC panorama episode on his work too.

Guest bernardblack

Odd call from the bank earlier today. 

My card was declined as I was trying to buy something from my new phone and got a call almost instantly...fair enough.

The woman was so odd on the call though, really pushy about what I’d tried to buy and asked me to read a one time verification code that she would text through. 

That was a red flag for me and told her I wouldn’t do that as that code is for me to use and not to be read over the phone....she then just took the huff and told me to phone the bank...again was odd as she was the “bank”

Probably me being too weary of these things but it was extremely off putting 

Guest bernardblack
29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Did you get back to your bank?

Yeah I called them and they sorted it. Gave them the number that called and they said they would take a look 

I got a new debit card a while ago but there was still a month or so to go on my old one. Some of my subscriptions notified me in plenty of time that I should register a new card but a few left it to the last minute so it was no surprise to get a message from Netflix last night saying "We were unable to process your latest payment - please update your billing information via https://process-payment.co.uk/Netflix/ . The site looked legit, it took my bank details etc etc just like I've done with loads of other subscriptions.

Bank phoned me this morning asking if I'd authorised a payment of £5.86 to a company called STC Pay. I said no so they've cancelled my card.

5 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Odd call from the bank earlier today. 

My card was declined as I was trying to buy something from my new phone and got a call almost instantly...fair enough.

The woman was so odd on the call though, really pushy about what I’d tried to buy and asked me to read a one time verification code that she would text through. 

That was a red flag for me and told her I wouldn’t do that as that code is for me to use and not to be read over the phone....she then just took the huff and told me to phone the bank...again was odd as she was the “bank”

Probably me being too weary of these things but it was extremely off putting 

Always worth phoning from the bank from a mobile rather than the landline you got the call on, or vice versa, the scammers have a way of keeping the line open even though you've hung up, so when you think you're talking to the bank you're still talking to them. I've heard about a scam like that before with the texted verification code, sneaky fuckers.

Some people seem to have trouble parsing URLs. There'll be plenty of older folk who wouldn't realise that it's the 'blocked-request' bit that's important there.

I'm getting my mum onto the internet soon. I think I'll be telling her not to click on anything without asking me.