The Team That Vanished

The Second Andy Goram

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, They bullshitted everyone about an eco friendly 6500 seater that would open within a year of promotion. The fact no plans were ever presented should've been the alarm bells.

Like RG, I only have sympathy for the true fans, not the glory hunters, the mercenaries who were paid ridiculous sums and then moaned at being made redundant, or the Mileson family.

I'm sure his estate was settled with debts of almost half a million

There couldn't have been that many true fans pre the millionaire arriving.

His family thought the Gretna story was nuts.

Their eyes were quite rightly on his fortune.

Think he was spending something 5 grand a week on something that had a smaller potential fan base than East Stirling.

They would have been spending a lot more than £5k per week. In his first season when they were beaten to promotion by Stirling and Stranraer from the 3rd division they were reputed to have a wage bill of £500k to put it in perspective Cowden's was around £50k.

As someone else mentioned I think his master plan was to get Carlisle United in the Scottish League through the back door they dropped down to the Conference but managed to get back into the Football League had they been stuck there I think he would have made a take over bid at Brunton Park and merged them with Gretna.

They would have been spending a lot more than £5k per week. In his first season when they were beaten to promotion by Stirling and Stranraer from the 3rd division they were reputed to have a wage bill of £500k to put it in perspective Cowden's was around £50k.

As someone else mentioned I think his master plan was to get Carlisle United in the Scottish League through the back door they dropped down to the Conference but managed to get back into the Football League had they been stuck there I think he would have made a take over bid at Brunton Park and merged them with Gretna.

Cowdenbeath spend £50,000 a season on wages!!!

Players and staff were paid but they left a trail of debt for years before going bust. The thread on here at the time included a mug Morton supporter who did work and never got paid. I think he was involved in the eco-stadium design. It could have been built with ice cream and cotton wool, it was so far removed from reality.

Players and staff were paid but they left a trail of debt for years before going bust. The thread on here at the time included a mug Morton supporter who did work and never got paid. I think he was involved in the eco-stadium design. It could have been built with ice cream and cotton wool, it was so far removed from reality.

The Eco stadium :lol::lol: forgot all about that.

ETA - From memory did Brooks Milesons son not look like Craigy Whyte?

Was there any money ever spent on Gretna's ground?

To a limited extent. There was a big "temporary" golf course type stand erected behind one of the goals and a smaller temporary stand banged alongside the old main stand on the side. They also cleared the end behind the other goal and seeded it in grass as part of a longer term aim to move the pitch in that direction a bit to build a proper stand behind the other end but it never happened.

I had the Club that Vanished on my Sky+ box for months after it was broadcast but I deleted it a month or two back to make room for the Star Wars movies my son wanted stored!

That was Alibi.

The documentary was pretty decent but it was too keen to buy into the tired "fairy tale" of the club's rise through the divisions, the cup final appearance and their promotion to the SPL. It wasn't critical enough about the way the club was run or if anyone knew if the foundations were built on sand. It didn't really go into the breakdown between Alexander and Irons either.

There couldn't have been that many true fans pre the millionaire arriving.

They averaged 150 before him, and have returned to roughly the same figure. So thats a good guestimate of how many were "true" fans.

It was also £4m worth of debt they left, apparently most owed to local businesses.

Sky deciding to fondle their balls and tell us all its how small town clubs should act to "live the dream" is completely destructive and wrong.

The documentary was pretty decent but it was too keen to buy into the tired "fairy tale" of the club's rise through the divisions, the cup final appearance and their promotion to the SPL. It wasn't critical enough about the way the club was run or if anyone knew if the foundations were built on sand. It didn't really go into the breakdown between Alexander and Irons either.

They were still pendling the "Living the Dream" pish and never got down to how they ran up £4m worth of debt. Davie Irons was really cringeworthy in it with his love of Brookes.

Archived