The Team That Vanished

The Second Andy Goram

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems to be it.

Thank you so much! Couldn't find it anywhere this morning.

No bother. I had to reload it to get it to work, then it took ages to start playing, but as I say my Internets fairly shite.

Any Gretna fans able to help me out?

Having done something similar on Football Manager to what happened to Gretna I have become very interested in the rise of Gretna through the leagues.

Sky made a documentary on the rise and fall of Gretna last year called 'The Team That Vanished' and I was wondering if anybody either has the footage or knows where I could find it?

*insert joke about me being a Rangers fan here*

I watched it on a website called footballorigin or origins a few months ago. It has all sorts of documentaries. That would be your best bet

glad you got sorted m8 -

re launched as gretna 2008 by former supporters of the old gretna fc - lots of hard work by the people to get re registered and now affiliated to scottish FA - but seems to be big changes lately a new board and committee. but i am not close enough to comment as to whether there was any in house conflicts.

glad you got sorted m8 -

re launched as gretna 2008 by former supporters of the old gretna fc - lots of hard work by the people to get re registered and now affiliated to scottish FA - but seems to be big changes lately a new board and committee. but i am not close enough to comment as to whether there was any in house conflicts.

Shame what happened really, had Mileson stayed healthy who knows what might have been.

Hopefully the 2008 team are getting on well, I always wanted to go down and watch a Gretna match at Radayle back in 2004-07 but never got a chance. I will be sure I do if im ever in the area.

Best of luck for the season.

Shame what happened really, had Mileson stayed healthy who knows what might have been.

They'd have been knackered anyway, but it wouldve taken longer.

They'd have been knackered anyway, but it wouldve taken longer.

His family thought the Gretna story was nuts.

Their eyes were quite rightly on his fortune.

Think he was spending something 5 grand a week on something that had a smaller potential fan base than East Stirling.

Could have cut back.

But I imagine relegation would have lowered his interest levels anyways.

Even cutting back would've been a struggle. He lost interest halfway through their First Division season ( :bairn ) and started selling folk off. Realistically they'd struggle to be a League Two side.

Maybe in a minority but I feel no sympathy towards Gretna (obviously do for the real fans though). They were giving players higher wages then they could get in the SPL while they were still in the Third Division. It was absolute suicide from the club from the very beginning.

Yer man spent the money because he went along to a home game and he got friendly with a few of the locals.

Was like the TV programme, Secret Millionaire, only for some diddy club rather than a housing scheme.

Anybody who follows a really small club knows there's an element of being marooned on a desert island.

Millionaire or tramp, your stuck with it.

For a very short time the locals got a VIP trip through Scottish football.

And the ended up with no club of sorts.

Now their back at square one.

Back on the desert island.

I'd have liked to have seen his money spent at somewhere QoS or Ayr Utd which could have gathered a bit of a crowd.

Yer man spent the money because he went along to a home game and he got friendly with a few of the locals.

Was like the TV programme, Secret Millionaire, only for some diddy club rather than a housing scheme.

Anybody who follows a really small club knows there's an element of being marooned on a desert island.

Millionaire or tramp, your stuck with it.

For a very short time the locals got a VIP trip through Scottish football.

And the ended up with no club of sorts.

Now their back at square one.

Back on the desert island.

I'd have liked to have seen his money spent at somewhere QoS or Ayr Utd which could have gathered a bit of a crowd.

Apparently his original idea was to buy Gretna and move them to Carlisle when it looked like Carlisle United were going under.

Wanting to go watch a team makes me a glory hunter?

I've went to watch Newcastle before on many occasions, they've not won anything (bar the championship) in years. Does that make me a glory hunter to?

It was just a wee joke mate.

Well done on not reacting to it.

Was there any money ever spent on Gretna's ground?

Nope, They bullshitted everyone about an eco friendly 6500 seater that would open within a year of promotion. The fact no plans were ever presented should've been the alarm bells.

Like RG, I only have sympathy for the true fans, not the glory hunters, the mercenaries who were paid ridiculous sums and then moaned at being made redundant, or the Mileson family.

I'm sure his estate was settled with debts of almost half a million

Archived