Scottish Cup East Kilbride/Lothian Thistle v Celtic

holsten

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't just reverse it to the away team's ground.

In the case of LTHV: they would not necessarily be able to play at Saughton anyway, regardless of who they drew. Rules draw a distinction between a qualifiers ground upto and including R3 and R4 onwards... No qualifier has ever played at home in R4 onward or had a replay pencilled-in as such (for example Auchinleck were to use Rugby Park / Irvine Meadow were to use Rugby Park or possibly St Mirren, IIRC, had their R4 ties gone into replays). It would be allowed, but clearly not for LTHV v Celtic.

In the case of EK: they would in principle be able to play at home, and you can't just move games around for crowds, but I'd suspect safety or policing would rule it out (as with Albion Rovers v Motherwell & Rangers).

Almost certainly the tie will be on TV, IMO, alongside Edinburgh derby and Rangers-Kilmarnock. Potentially transformative money for whoever wins.

The money EAst Kilbride would get should help them get promotion in the next few years. The money Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale would gain should help them get in to the lowland league surely?

You'd hope so. But clubs don't always use money wisely.....

Let's not forget it's the 20th anniversary shortly of when we were at HOME to Celtic at EASTER ROAD. Don't think Celtic are allowed home advantage so as HJ says defo neutral ground ;)

Sure I saw the EK chairman say he would play it at EK park if they got through. Probably able to put a stand on the astro and on the car park behind the goal like stenhousemuir did for games v Rangers a few seasons back. Take the crowd up yo 2500 maybe?

The money EAst Kilbride would get should help them get promotion in the next few years. The money Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale would gain should help them get in to the lowland league surely?

If on TV that's over £80k, plus over £10k prizemoney for reaching for R5, plus sundries to bring you up to £100k - then say a 7,000 crowd at a neutral venue would be the best part of that again (e.g. 60% gate share at £20/£10 - on proportion of 3/1 - is £75,000 in receipts). Feasibly £175k, before costs and rental of the ground. That might be an underestimation though... 5,345 attended Albion Rovers v Rangers arranged at 8 days notice on a Monday.

If it'd be on TV at a neutral venue then EK v LTHV just became one of the richest games in the history of non-league football in this country, before we even consider exposure and prestige.

EDIT: Incidentally, I bet the people who said EK weren't a "real club" aren't so dismissive now :lol:!!

No fines any more, IIRC.

You are right about the increments but the clubs will be getting those for up to and including R4 whether they get through to play Celtic or lose 10-0.

Worth saying that games can only be moved on safety and security grounds. I'd love to see such a tie on K-Park or Saughton.

Indeed if pundits felt Stair Park was heavy yesterday, imagine Celtic on Saughton Enclosure in February...

I would have thought Tynecastle would be used first considering it is only 5 mins from Saughton. Is there not a link between LTHV and Hearts of sorts?

Hertz at home to Hibs that weekend so probably makes sense to play it away from tynecastle. Although if both games are on TV and LTHV played Sunday then it would make sense for the game to be at tynecastle from a logistics point of view.

But it's scottish fitba so likely gonna be played in Perth.....

No fines any more, IIRC.

You are right about the increments but the clubs will be getting those for up to and including R4 whether they get through to play Celtic or lose 10-0.

Worth saying that games can only be moved on safety and security grounds. I'd love to see such a tie on K-Park or Saughton.

Indeed if pundits felt Stair Park was heavy yesterday, imagine Celtic on Saughton Enclosure in February...

The fines for red and yellow cards were stopped a few seasons ago.

If on TV that's over £80k, plus over £10k prizemoney for reaching for R5, plus sundries to bring you up to £100k - then say a 7,000 crowd at a neutral venue would be the best part of that again (e.g. 60% gate share at £20/£10 - on proportion of 3/1 - is £75,000 in receipts). Feasibly £175k, before costs and rental of the ground. That might be an underestimation though... 5,345 attended Albion Rovers v Rangers arranged at 8 days notice on a Monday.

If it'd be on TV at a neutral venue then EK v LTHV just became one of the richest games in the history of non-league football in this country, before we even consider exposure and prestige.

EDIT: Incidentally, I bet the people who said EK weren't a "real club" aren't so dismissive now :lol:!!

You get £82,500 for a live TV game in the Scottish Cup. Massive payday for either EK or Lothian Thistle HV.

For all the talk about playing at K Park if EK win you would think the police would tell then they would have to move on safety grounds. New Douglas Park would seem the sensible one.

Tynecastle would be best for Lothian but maybe Easter Road with the derby being at Tynecastle that weekend.

I would have thought Tynecastle would be used first considering it is only 5 mins from Saughton. Is there not a link between LTHV and Hearts of sorts?

I was just assuming Easter Road because of the derby that weekend but I guess it's possible for both to be at Tynie.

Archived