Transfers and signing on fees

maurice shavez

How do clubs feel about players coming on to pie and bovril and using it as an auction site?

How do other players feel when they see a player join their team on what others would call inflated wages?

Is this the beginning or the beginning of the end for some clubs? Or is this progress?

How do the fans feel about it?

Should we embrace this process?

Probably more questions than answers!

I think players at clubs who see guys joining there club for more wages than them get annoyed. It causes tension especially if that player doesn't pull his weight! Seeing someone getting paid more and not performing should annoy players and fans a like! Few of them around at the moment!

I think it's the end of the end for some clubs! Not being able to compete as they are unable to pay little wages or no wages! This has a domino effect in that committees find it hard to get new sponsors in, then fans don't want to pay to watch a non competitive team.

Some of the wages being paid and offered IMO is ridiculous! I was speaking with a League One manager who lost out on 3 players to Junior clubs as he could not pay anywhere near what Junior teams were!

I agree if a club has funds then yes they can spend them in any fashion they what but what I am saying is that it's not good for the long term benefit of our game.

I think players at clubs who see guys joining there club for more wages than them get annoyed. It causes tension especially if that player doesn't pull his weight! Seeing someone getting paid more and not performing should annoy players and fans a like! Few of them around at the moment!

I think it's the end of the end for some clubs! Not being able to compete as they are unable to pay little wages or no wages! This has a domino effect in that committees find it hard to get new sponsors in, then fans don't want to pay to watch a non competitive team.

Some of the wages being paid and offered IMO is ridiculous! I was speaking with a League One manager who lost out on 3 players to Junior clubs as he could not pay anywhere near what Junior teams were!

I agree if a club has funds then yes they can spend them in any fashion they what but what I am saying is that it's not good for the long term benefit of our game.

To say that because a player has advertised himself on P&B it will be "the end of the end" for junior clubs is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Agree that some wages paid to players are OTT especially when many junior clubs dont even have basic infrastructure at their grounds. That said however, I dont think what Monti did is wrong but also I dont think it will cause any jealousy amongst team mates. Players at junior level are not egotistical enough to be bothered if someone is paid more than them (like Rooney etc).

As a player it has never interested me on what money my teammates are/were on. None of my business and couldn't care less. If the clubs can afford it then great.

As for players, making their availability known on here then surely that's not a problem. Social media is now the best way to get coverage, so players obviously feel it beneficial for them to get that information across in as many places as possible.

To say that because a player has advertised himself on P&B it will be "the end of the end" for junior clubs is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Agree that some wages paid to players are OTT especially when many junior clubs dont even have basic infrastructure at their grounds. That said however, I dont think what Monti did is wrong but also I dont think it will cause any jealousy amongst team mates. Players at junior level are not egotistical enough to be bothered if someone is paid more than them (like Rooney etc).

I never said players making themselves available on here was the end of the end i said some wages etc were! I never referenced any specific player or situation in my reply

you would be surprised.

As a player it has never interested me on what money my teammates are/were on. None of my business and couldn't care less. If the clubs can afford it then great.

As for players, making their availability known on here then surely that's not a problem. Social media is now the best way to get coverage, so players obviously feel it beneficial for them to get that information across in as many places as possible.

good post that man.

Players negotiate their own contacts. Not that the money ever bothered me, but if I found out another player was getting paid more I would consider that a reflection of my poor negotiation skills more than anything. At the end of the day you sign for a sum you are happy with. If you're not happy with the final offer no one forces you to sign and if you do you can't have any complaints at other people being better negotiators surely.

you would be surprised.

Surely all of the Bathgate mercenaries were being paid thousands each so it didn't matter what your team mates were on. :thumsup2

Players negotiate their own contacts. Not that the money ever bothered me, but if I found out another player was getting paid more I would consider that a reflection of my poor negotiation skills more than anything. At the end of the day you sign for a sum you are happy with. If you're not happy with the final offer no one forces you to sign and if you do you can't have any complaints at other people being better negotiators surely.

So what do you do when it's time to resign? Especially when you know someone is getting 3 or 4 times what your getting and what if you have done more on pitch than he has in recent times? You will be a better negotiator then! The lower the divisions the more players you will have who aren't money motivated the higher you go the more you get who are. I'd reckon most players at super premier are on decent money for this level but recent actions have taken things to another planet! I think the unrest in the Pollok dressing room will explode before season is over. Not Carlo montis fault but the clubs or the people responsible for running of that club. I seen it at my own club during jack McCartney era and 2 years into Hugh Kelly's tenure when we lost entire squad due to a bonus row that had been agreed with one player who told the rest.

So what do you do when it's time to resign? Especially when you know someone is getting 3 or 4 times what your getting and what if you have done more on pitch than he has in recent times? You will be a better negotiator then! The lower the divisions the more players you will have who aren't money motivated the higher you go the more you get who are. I'd reckon most players at super premier are on decent money for this level but recent actions have taken things to another planet! I think the unrest in the Pollok dressing room will explode before season is over. Not Carlo montis fault but the clubs or the people responsible for running of that club. I seen it at my own club during jack McCartney era and 2 years into Hugh Kelly's tenure when we lost entire squad due to a bonus row that had been agreed with one player who told the rest.

What unrest is that in the Pollok dressing room. You are another on here who is more concerned by Pollok than your own team.

Ive never been involved in dealing with players so anything iver heard has come second hand, that said I did hear of a played who was willing to leave for an extra five quid a week because he felt he was worth it even though it would cost him an extra £20 in expenses getting there and back never mind time. Also these days players arguing over pounds as their top of the range cars sit outside bemuses me.

Ive never been involved in dealing with players so anything iver heard has come second hand, that said I did hear of a played who was willing to leave for an extra five quid a week because he felt he was worth it even though it would cost him an extra £20 in expenses getting there and back never mind time. Also these days players arguing over pounds as their top of the range cars sit outside bemuses me.

I remember back in the 80s / 90s supporting my club and looking at the committee back then and I've analysed our various committees personnel wise from back then until present day.

The huge difference from back then to present day is that back in the day committee guys were really made of " ordinary " guys doing their best , guys who had maybe mundane jobs and no real business acumen , guys who you would find in local pubs doing their best for their clubs and they had very little contacts business wise and they could get away with it as wages weren't really going through the roof and it was much of a muchness in terms of wages being paid out across the board in junior football .

Fast forward to the last ten years or so and due to the escalation of players wages and players bonuses etc it's vital that committees have guys with real business contacts to remain at the top level of junior football , the wages at the top level have never been better and if committees don't have guys that can bring in major funding through contacts and sponsorship then it's almost impossible to remain at the top level .

It saddens me a wee bit as I would love it to be an even keel with committee guys at all clubs being capable of contributing lots to sustain it but the reality is that we collectively are relying on guys with a good business brain and contacts to keep us all going in terms of competing at the top level .

What unrest is that in the Pollok dressing room. You are another on here who is more concerned by Pollok than your own team.

Not at all I'm merely giving my point of view on this particular thread. Is that not what the site is for? The fact Pollok is the club that's decided to pay a ridiculous amount of cash to one player makes Pollok the club for discussion. If it had been meadow or Hurlford then I and others would be discussing them do leave the paranoia out. As for unrest I'd imagine Pollok players are already discussing it so give it a little time for things to manifest. And if your unloading any of the two front men who played against the town ( don't know their names) send them over.

Not at all I'm merely giving my point of view on this particular thread. Is that not what the site is for? The fact Pollok is the club that's decided to pay a ridiculous amount of cash to one player makes Pollok the club for discussion. If it had been meadow or Hurlford then I and others would be discussing them do leave the paranoia out. As for unrest I'd imagine Pollok players are already discussing it so give it a little time for things to manifest. And if your unloading any of the two front men who played against the town ( don't know their names) send them over.

Even though it's a junior forum your not allowed to comment about certain clubs without having an agenda unfortunately

Pollok are indeed very lucky to have on their current committee a number of senior figures in national and international businesses including lawyers,chartered accountants,financial directors and marketing professionals so I would guess that helps.

I remember back in the 80s / 90s supporting my club and looking at the committee back then and I've analysed our various committees personnel wise from back then until present day.

The huge difference from back then to present day is that back in the day committee guys were really made of " ordinary " guys doing their best , guys who had maybe mundane jobs and no real business acumen , guys who you would find in local pubs doing their best for their clubs and they had very little contacts business wise and they could get away with it as wages weren't really going through the roof and it was much of a muchness in terms of wages being paid out across the board in junior football .

Fast forward to the last ten years or so and due to the escalation of players wages and players bonuses etc it's vital that committees have guys with real business contacts to remain at the top level of junior football , the wages at the top level have never been better and if committees don't have guys that can bring in major funding through contacts and sponsorship then it's almost impossible to remain at the top level .

It saddens me a wee bit as I would love it to be an even keel with committee guys at all clubs being capable of contributing lots to sustain it but the reality is that we collectively are relying on guys with a good business brain and contacts to keep us all going in terms of competing at the top level .

Fantastic post! Completely hit the nail on the head!

Reckon Kilbirnie committee is just full of hard working guys doing their best for the club.

Always said Beith was full of yuppies :)

There were clubs in 80s/90s paying much higher wages than most. Muirkirk are now what they were then. Medda are now what they were then.

Archived