Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock Juniors - Scottish Junior Cup Rnd 4

jimbaxters

Maybe we just played well on the day but I felt Talbot were poor the other week against us. Years gone by Talbot would have steamrollered us after an early goal & especially 1 so soft

But apart from 1 or 2 dodgy moments we never looked in danger & should have won by more

Still think you will be too strong for Cumnock though & wont be far away come the prize giving come May

And you know all this from the social club?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we just played well on the day but I felt Talbot were poor the other week against us. Years gone by Talbot would have steamrollered us after an early goal & especially 1 so soft

But apart from 1 or 2 dodgy moments we never looked in danger & should have won by more

Still think you will be too strong for Cumnock though & wont be far away come the prize giving come May

Kilbirnie were on fire that day no doubt. Totally outclassed us with their play however It's still a long way to go in this season. Talbot has the skill and fitness to see it through so our boys will fight all the way. Let's see who else has that belief and spirit.

Aye right enough hyslops 25 yard thunderbolt in the junior cup final did look like it came from a player who wasn't good enough , boyds performances against hurlford home and away in the semis and away to Bonnyrigg the same , league and cup winners medals don't get held out to players who aren't good enough , but we're all entitled to our opinion.

There are a lot of average players walking about with winners medals in their pockets, some of the greatest players ever to pull on a Talbot jersey never got to a Scottish cup final Grey, Goudie, Hitchell to name but three, as you say everyone's entitled to their opinion mines is the two who now occupy the central midfield for Talbot are the weakest Talbot have had under tucker. Considering tucker has been at the club for just over a decade and in the time his central midfield pairings have been Slaven and Arnie then followed by Spence and White, the two that are there just now are pale imitations of those four.

Kilbirnie were on fire that day no doubt. Totally outclassed us with their play however It's still a long way to go in this season. Talbot has the skill and fitness to see it through so our boys will fight all the way. Let's see who else has that belief and spirit.

Ach, I never saw it like that at all Bing. Not a great performance from Talbot but had enough chances to get a draw. Kilbirnie have no doubt improved but can't see how Talbot were outclassed. What Ladeside did do was get their tactics right and applied themselves to the ugly side of the game, not a criticism by any means.

As for Talbot not setting the same standards, quite hard to maintain the last three years, I really wish I had a pound for every time I have heard that. However, with the exception of the double year when they were undefeated in the league, Talbot have struggled in late autumn and early winter months, last year in particular. The corner was turned at Bonnyrigg with a totally dominant performance and they never looked back, young Boyd having a quite outstanding game that day securing himself in the team for the duration.

There is no doubt that Talbot will miss Mark Campbell who was a colossus last season. That said I am very much looking forward to this. I think that an improving Cumnock will consider they have as good a chance of an upset since the last time we played them in the Scottish. But Talbot are nothing if not resilient and I think the bigger the game the better Talbot are. A hard fought close victory for Talbot is my prediction.

Bring it on.

There are a lot of average players walking about with winners medals in their pockets, some of the greatest players ever to pull on a Talbot jersey never got to a Scottish cup final Grey, Goudie, Hitchell to name but three, as you say everyone's entitled to their opinion mines is the two who now occupy the central midfield for Talbot are the weakest Talbot have had under tucker. Considering tucker has been at the club for just over a decade and in the time his central midfield pairings have been Slaven and Arnie then followed by Spence and White, the two that are there just now are pale imitations of those four.

Dennis Gray got a winners medal....

Dennis Gray won the scottish cup as Cumnock manager in 1989 at rugby park with derek love ( the father of talbots robert love) scoring the winning goal in a 1-0 victory , I think it was against Ormiston primrose

Well Done HB you have your uses after all :-D

Dennis Gray won the scottish cup as Cumnock manager in 1989 at rugby park with derek love ( the father of talbots robert love) scoring the winning goal in a 1-0 victory , I think it was against Ormiston primrose

Yip Love was attempting one of his famous dives when the ball inadvertently struck his toe and rolled into the net.

Gray won the Scottish as manager of Cumnock of all teams yet failed at Talbot and Beith..fitba can be strange. Was an good manager, mental but good.

Kilbirnie worked hard at stopping the ball getting to Talbot forwards as their midfield is not as prolific on the scoring front as previous teams....though their work rate is awesome.

Yip Love was attempting one of his famous dives when the ball inadvertently struck his toe and rolled into the net.

Gray won the Scottish as manager of Cumnock of all teams yet failed at Talbot and Beith..fitba can be strange. Was an good manager, mental but good.

That sounds like the derek love I know .

Problem with love though was he eventually earned such a reputation for diving that he stopped getting genuine penalties as his reputation went before him, was very frustrating as he cost us genuine penalties In the end with his theatrics.

As for Dennis Gray he was old school, absolute mental although in a good way and what a motivator .

Dennis was never to be crossed by anyone and he earned so much respect due to it , he had a great trophy record with ourselves although just couldn't nail a major despite finishing beaten west of Scotland cup semi and finalists, beaten scottish cup semi finalists and also 2nd in the Ayrshire top division.

His record in all the other Ayrshire cups when they were big tournaments to win against Ayrshires best was incredible though.

Think he won 12 trophies for us .

Right so you turn up to a Talbot senior scottish cup tie in future and your camera isn't allowed to view footage for tv reasons.

Someone grabs your camera from you at the turnstile and confiscates it without your permission .

Do you (A) Create a bit of a scene

Or

(B) Just walk away and accept the rules and that you can't film and lose a camera and all other utensils through theft?

Totally Irrelevant. Cameras are allowed at games. Alcohol isn't. They wouldn't take the camera off you.

Archived