New recommended alcohol limit

Having a Caesar Augustus the now, not drank much since new year tho. I tend not to drink to get pished much these days, but I love a beer and a nice wine. Stopped drinking spirits due to not having enough room in the freezer for ice. That will change pretty soon and may get back into the spirits. Vodka is great for bloody Mary's or white Russians, but you want a decent one. Someone said they can't taste the difference from a cheapy one? That's mental.

Seems to me those intake guidelines in general are getting stricter over time. I do worry what kind of long term agenda is behind it. This guideline is almost as much bs as the red meat causing you cancer last year. Not that I'm worried about the guideline since I'm already well within it most weeks. The only time I do any serious drinking is on Birthday''s, Christmas's and New Year's.

Edited by Fotbawmad

As I frequently* drink over this recommended weekly limit, I'm starting to worry that I'm going to die before I've had the opportunity to spend 20 years in an old folks home, staring into space and wondering why my crotch feels wet.

Seriously, why is our society so obsessed with quantity of life when we should be focusing on quality? Who gives a f**k about living longer when you've spent half that time terrified of enjoying yourself?

*Pretty much always.

A unit = 1/2 pint, right?

A half pint at 5% ABV is 1.42 units. To work out the units:

Take the alcohol by volume (ABV) multiply by volume in millilitres (ml) then divide by 1000.

5% pint 5x568/1000 = 2.84 units

12.5% bottle of wine 12.5x750/1000 = 9.375 units

Half bottle of whisky: 40x350/1000 = 14 units

Half bottle of vodka: 37.5x350/1000 = 13.125 units

All vodka tastes the same when you put the mixer in so may as well go for the cheapest

Thats not totally true tbf.

I find cheap vodka to give me a sore head / throat next day more so than a slightly less cheap vodka.

No one is telling you what to do. It's just a guideline which you can ignore if you want.

Not sure why some people seem to be getting annoyed at a guideline.

Also some almost appear to be boasting about drinking, but surely that's not the case as that would be astonishingly pathetic

Take care you don't fall off that high horse.

No one is telling you what to do. It's just a guideline which you can ignore if you want.

Not sure why some people seem to be getting annoyed at a guideline.

Also some almost appear to be boasting about drinking, but surely that's not the case as that would be astonishingly pathetic

Lots of people drink far too much the proceed to bore everyone on social media about it. It's pathetic really.

You went to a bar, and bought a drink! Now you have a sore head and want to eat shite to recover. What a total #lad.

No problem with people ignoring it but just bore off.

A half pint at 5% ABV is 1.42 units. To work out the units:

Take the alcohol by volume (ABV) multiply by volume in millilitres (ml) then divide by 1000.

5% pint 5x568/1000 = 2.84 units

12.5% bottle of wine 12.5x750/1000 = 9.375 units

Half bottle of whisky: 40x350/1000 = 14 units

Half bottle of vodka: 37.5x350/1000 = 13.125 units

I would imagine after a couple of units you might not be able to do those calculations.

I exceed the weekly guidelines almost every day, are you allowed to average it? Sometimes I'm offshore for 5-6 weeks, can I build this up and use it against my previous transgressions?

Who gives a f**k what the guidelines set out by the government are? They recommend ( through law) that you don't use hash, speed, eckies, coke, heroin.

I never pay attention to legislation- f**k guidelines!

I exceed the weekly guidelines almost every day, are you allowed to average it? Sometimes I'm offshore for 5-6 weeks, can I build this up and use it against my previous transgressions?

Who gives a f**k what the guidelines set out by the government are? They recommend ( through law) that you don't use hash, speed, eckies, coke, heroin.

I never pay attention to legislation- f**k guidelines!

Nor half the quote in the OP, evidently.