New recommended alcohol limit

As any sensible adult knows, the recommended limit on alcohol unit per week in the UK was 21 for an adult man. It's now went down to 14, the same as the limit for women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35255384

Tough new guidelines issued on alcohol have cut recommended drinking limits and say there is no such thing as a safe level of drinking.

The UK's chief medical officers say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.

The new advice says men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine.

Pregnant women should not drink at all.

It also says if people drink, it should be moderately over three or more days and that some days should be alcohol-free.

Nor should people "save up" their units and drink them all in one or two goes. Heavy drinking sessions increase the risk of accidents and injury, it says.

Now, I'm not an especially frequent drinker and I'm not especially interested in drinking to the point of vomiting or dying the following day, so the limit doesn't really apply to me, much. However, on the news tonight was a woman bemoaning the glamourisation of alcohol in the media, specifically wine, in which she appeared to have been duped into thinking being Bridget Jones was desirable which led her to drink... a bottle of wine per day. She quit drinking after being hospitalised due to drinking three bottles in one night.

Does P&B pay any attention to recommended alcohol limits? Do you bemoan idiots who down a bottle of wine a day for spoiling your fun? Is 21 units a normal night out for you?

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Behind this will be some feminist demanding we should all equal imo.

I'll have on average 20 units a week, which is now bad news it would seem. Probably won't affect my drinking habits though tbh, keeping it to 20 is tricky enough!

Dear Chief Medical Officer

f**k off

Regards

ETA - Drinking reduces the risk of some illnesses but increases the risk of others.

Some studies have shown that people who drink up to 40 units a week have a lower mortality rate than those who drink no unites a week.

Edited by ICTChris

Im trying to cut back on the amount i drink per sitting anyway. Did my usual last night and shared a bottle of wine then washed down with 5 beers that were in the fridge. I don't feel that i am addicted to it at all, quite the opposite the first time i drink after a few days off it my body and mind don't actually want to do it i just do it anyway.

You need to take these changes with a pinch of salt and know your own limits and when its becoming a negative influence in your life.

Im trying to cut back on the amount i drink per sitting anyway. Did my usual last night and shared a bottle of wine then washed down with 5 beers that were in the fridge. I don't feel that i am addicted to it at all, quite the opposite the first time i drink after a few days off it my body and mind don't actually want to do it i just do it anyway.

You need to take these changes with a pinch of salt and know your own limits and when its becoming a negative influence in your life.

Great idea, tequila slammers anyone?

Stand up, then, and drink as much as you like.

A unit = 1/2 pint, right?

Most nights out I'd have exceeded the new weekly limit that night, and I'd have been drinking 5/6 nights a week.

Depends what the beer is. I'm looking at the can of Stella I'm drinking right now and it says it is 2.1 units and it's not a pint can. So four cans of that and you're over the guideline for a week. In short I'll be over it in about an hour, and will probably have drunk 4 weeks worth, 28 units, 14 cans by the time the weekend is out. Load of pish.

Depends what the beer is. I'm looking at the can of Stella I'm drinking right now and it says it is 2.1 units and it's not a pint can. So four cans of that and you're over the guideline for a week. In short I'll be over it in about an hour, and will probably have drunk 4 weeks worth, 28 units, 14 cans by the time the weekend is out. Load of pish.

Switch to something else.

It all is a load of pish - its funny how the new recommendations are getting to a lower and lower amount. There is clearly something else in operation here , probably with the long term plan that the nhs will refuse to pay your treatment if it's self inflicted.

I think it's about population control and they are packing extra lethal things into red meat bacon and alcohol and it will wipe more of us out and the government will then say that they warned us when really they want to extinguish all but a few.

I'm oldish, drink way over that limit (primarily wine) and have a season ticket for Tannadice.

I genuinely also dropped a bit of chocolate on my iPad screen as I was typing this.

I may not be around too much longer.

One of the professors who made the initial guidelines was on BBC 5 Live recently saying that they just made up the figures the last time without any recourse to any scientific evidence. Other 'studies' going back many years claim the benefits of the Mediterranean diet which includes wine with every meal is good for you.

This is yet another example of the nanny state telling us what to do in every aspect of our lives which I will take no notice of.

Was out in Ayr today, had three pints, home to make Mrs Boo her dinner, couple glasses of red and will have a few Stellas through the evening and no new government so called guidelines will make me change anything.

Edited by jimmy boo

The guideline for a week is 14 units, not 7, unless I'm somehow mistaken.

I'm oldish, drink way over that limit (primarily wine) and have a season ticket for Tannadice.

I genuinely also dropped a bit of chocolate on my iPad screen as I was typing this.

I may not be around too much longer.

You are a strange man.