#cleanforthequeen

mizfit

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So less people watch sycophantic fawning over the aristocracy than watched Den serve Angie divorce papers, or watched Mrs Hughes marry Mr Carson.

No one is suggesting these viewers were all fawning over the aristocracy whatsoever.

Are many Brits (and visitors to these shores) still fascinated by the Royals and how the family line is entwined with the twists and turns of British History? Yes

Are many Brits (and visitors to these shores) still captivated by the quirky pomp and ceremony of tradition associated with the Monarchy? Yes

Does that make them all craven, servile, sycophants? No not at all.

On the flip side...

Do most people recognise the argument regarding wealth, ( through privilege) and cost to the public purse in Modern Britain? Yes

Perhaps that's something that could change, but not at the expense of getting rid of the Monarchy altogether? Yes

That's about it, I think.

Nobody has ever been able to explain to me what useful purpose the monarchy and royal family serve.

So I wouldn't expect an answer.

I signed up to Republic after the referendum - it's a very reasonable campaign which presents quite thorough evidence.

What appals me is the way the media trots out opinion and lies as established facts: how often do we hear it stated that the queen costs us pennies a year, or that the cost of the system is reimbursed (and then some) by the revenue from the Crown Estates, as though it's personal sacrifice on the Windsors' part? These claims fall apart at the slightest scrutiny, but they're continually trotted out. It really is akin to the way the North Korean media portrays its supreme leader as a demigod, without any analysis or scrutiny. The institution is simply claimed to be "above" politics and we're expected to accept that blindly. It's downright creepy. The royals are part of the same gravy train as the Lords and MPs, but one group is demonised, the other sanctified.

Nobody has ever been able to explain to me what useful purpose the monarchy and royal family serve.

So I wouldn't expect an answer.

I signed up to Republic after the referendum - it's a very reasonable campaign which presents quite thorough evidence.

Even as a committed Republican, if you can't see that the Monarchy still plays a part in the hearts and minds of the majority of the ordinary British Public, then you are in denial my friend.

Whether it's a political event, a state visit, an important sporting or cultural occasion, the prominence of the Royals (particularly the Queen) is always warmly received.

You may not support the Monarchy or their place in a modern Britain, and that's fine, just accept that millions of others do.

Even as a committed Republican, if you can't see that the Monarchy still plays a part in the hearts and minds of the majority of the ordinary British Public, then you are in denial my friend.

Whether it's a political event, a state visit, an important sporting or cultural occasion, the prominence of the Royals (particularly the Queen) is always warmly received.

You may not support the Monarchy or their place in a modern Britain, and that's fine, just accept that millions of others do.

Are you a committed republican?

Millions of Germans & Austrians accepted Hitler, did that make it so?

I'm not comparing HRH to the third reich, but you see my point?

The fact that a three year old is entitled to be our head of state in the future and should be held in higher regard than any 3 year old due to accident of birth is ridiculous- and you know it.

It's a travesty, I've no problem with any member of the Royal Family as individuals, but tell me why they should be supported by tax money year upon year.

Birthday card pish!

Hitler would play in the hearts and minds of the majority of the British Public if the media wanted it to. It just shows how thick these "ordinary" people are.

The media thrives on trying to make us love the people, not the system. The monarchy survived by conflating its friendly faces and their media profile with the concept of hereditary right to reign.

That figure will be rapidly decreasing in the next 10 year I imagine.

Unfortunately, I don't agree, I believe the next decade will see a swell against the establishment, but completely counteracted by the brain dead becoming more entrenched in royalty! Tis the only way for the uneducated.

Unfortunately, I don't agree, I believe the next decade will see a swell against the establishment, but completely counteracted by the brain dead becoming more entrenched in royalty! Tis the only way for the uneducated.

It's a weird one. The public inevitably turn against the people they are told have power over their lives. They are also constantly (and falsely) told that the royals are powerless.

Look back a few hundred years. People turned against the royals and stripped them of their quasi-absolute power because they didn't like how it was being wielded. Democratically elected politicians were seen as the benevolent ones, the good guys. Now that politicians have quasi-absolute power and people don't like how it's being wielded, the royals are seen as the benevolent good guys.

It doesn't seem to occur to most people that the royals and politicians are in it together, mutually supporting each other's privilege and rights. If people want things to improve, it's the whole system they need to change, not simply looking for goodies and baddies in the current system.

Don't think so I think will and Kate are still quite popular amongst our generation and older

What does popularity have to do with monarchism? The whole point of the system is that it doesn't recognise what the commoners think about its incumbents.

Are you a committed republican?

Millions of Germans & Austrians accepted Hitler, did that make it so?

I'm not comparing HRH to the third reich, but you see my point?

The fact that a three year old is entitled to be our head of state in the future and should be held in higher regard than any 3 year old due to accident of birth is ridiculous- and you know it.

It's a travesty, I've no problem with any member of the Royal Family as individuals, but tell me why they should be supported by tax money year upon year.

Millhouse, mentioned that he was a 'signed up' Republican, that's what I was referring to not me.

No one has suggested the wee boy is held in higher regard than any other kid, by accident of birth he's certainly not going to have a 'normal' upbringing, that's for sure. As for being supported by the tax payer, (a point already acknowledged and perhaps ready for change) pretty sure there are many other examples of contentious public spending that all of us may quote depending on our individual views, opinions and interests that would be just as valid.

Millhouse, mentioned that he was a 'signed up' Republican, that's what I was referring to not me.

No one has suggested the wee boy is held in higher regard than any other kid, by accident of birth he's certainly not going to have a 'normal' upbringing, that's for sure. As for being supported by the tax payer, (a point already acknowledged and perhaps ready for change) pretty sure there are many other examples of contentious public spending that all of us may quote depending on our individual views, opinions and interests that would be just as valid.

Then why was he born with a hierarchical title placing him above "commoners", and why was his future role as Head of State determined before he even knew he had feet?

Birthday card pish!

Hitler would play in the hearts and minds of the majority of the British Public if the media wanted it to. It just shows how thick these "ordinary" people are.

What a terrible comparison. How bitter is your average Republican Nationalist, it must be awful to live a life feeling so angry yet downtrodden and quietly loathing, unable to have the self-confidence to accept another persons viewpoint and then just dismiss them as 'thick', it's f*ckin desperate.

Most see the Queen for what she is; a Ceremonial Figurehead who holds little power or influence, but hold an affinity to her long held position as Head of State and her place in the History of this Country. It's no big deal and certainly not worth losing sleep over. We enjoy it for what it is.

Archived