Gardening Thread

5 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Fuchsia cuttings are ridiculously easy to grow and the plant will be the same foliage and flower as the plant you took the cutting from.

Plenty of excellent articles online on growing plants from cuttings.

I've got a few cuttings in the greenhouse from one in the garden. The dog decided to batter over it. Im sure its only half Hardy so if it kicks the bucket over winter I've got some backup. As you say, they're so easy it seemed silly not to.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Cheers guys.  Never heard of seed pods before. 

Just as well I never tried to eat the thing thinking it’s a cherry 🤣

Might just end up sprinting to the bog once or twice then you'd probably be fine! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2020 at 12:20, MixuFruit said:

Risotto, thinly sliced and fried then put on a pizza, curries, scoop the seeds out and bake with salt and oil to have with a cold beer, just chopped up and roasted alongside other veg. Quite versatile really.

Mixu, you're a great poster and were a successful player for Dundee United which i thank you for (not so much for the questionable football manager bit a few years ago) but thats a cardinal sin!

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Where's your sense of adventure? They go all caramelised, it's lovely.

Im a traditionalist when it comes to pizza. Artichoke is about as fancy as it gets. A good old quattro stagioni with extra onions is a sensational thing.

As is a proper margherita.

All on a proper thin base. Nane o yer deep pan pizza peh shite. 

Anyway, most of my fuschia cuttings have rooted, as have my hydrangea aspera cuttings. Happy days!

51 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Anybody grow cactus or succulents? I have the bug now, probably 200 types and counting.

20200816_134556.thumb.jpg.993d6bb10e0108ea25aa39cf9e481ec5.jpg

The wife does - we have 4 cats who delight in pulling them out of their pots.  None of them shaped like dicks either so they're a no from me.  

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Any moth experts out there. This chunky little chap was feeding in blazing sun on my Marigolds this morning. The white mark on it's wing looks almost like a lizard - possibly a Silvery Y ?20200918_115332.thumb.jpeg.af5815e3a5db4edf829e864e502fd9d2.jpeg

I think that's exactly what it is.

Ps. Im not a moth expert!

Edited by mishtergrolsch

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 14/09/2020 at 12:13, Buddie Holly said:
what can I do with pumpkins apart from soup?

64BEB3F0-59F9-4EDC-B53B-8F641A4711A7.thumb.jpeg.d3653e5496f507c87b28851b1f86a4ae.jpeg

Makes hundreds of ravioli with that as filling .

Now that is a good use of a pumpkin!

You could always give it to a neighbour you don't like and tell them its an exotic melon.