Gardening Thread

18 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Half lap wont matter on 10" x 2" boards. Just put a 2"x2" post chapped in the ground in each corner and screw in.

Can’t really do that as it will be partially sitting on a brick base.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Can’t really do that as it will be partially sitting on a brick base.

Ah. You could still use the corner posts just to the same height as the boards. I prefer that to the half lap way as it's easier and it just gives that bit more stability. Imo of course.

Plenty ways, cats etc.

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Ah. You could still use the corner posts just to the same height as the boards. I prefer that to the half lap way as it's easier and it just gives that bit more stability. Imo of course.

Plenty ways, cats etc.

This is what I’ve got.  It’s what’s left after we removed an old greenhouse that looked like it had been there for years.  I want to spend the minimum as it’s at the back of the house; no one really sees it but we’re selling next year so don’t want to leave this mess.

I’ll cut the 10 x 2 at an angle up the sides, I want to align the outside of them with the outside of the brick so corner post won’t work.  I’ll finish it off by screwing a smaller baton on to the bottom to cover the brick then give it all a light grey wash.

That’s the plan anyway!

79A1C893-C3C2-45AE-A7AE-53C352A2A7A0.thumb.jpeg.ca7ff45bf4f026b61ab26efb6b12da49.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is what I’ve got.  It’s what’s left after we removed an old greenhouse that looked like it had been there for years.  I want to spend the minimum as it’s at the back of the house; no one really sees it but we’re selling next year so don’t want to leave this mess.

I’ll cut the 10 x 2 at an angle up the sides, I want to align the outside of them with the outside of the brick so corner post won’t work.  I’ll finish it off by screwing a smaller baton on to the bottom to cover the brick then give it all a light grey wash.

That’s the plan anyway!

79A1C893-C3C2-45AE-A7AE-53C352A2A7A0.thumb.jpeg.ca7ff45bf4f026b61ab26efb6b12da49.jpeg

Gotcha. Makes sense when you see the photo. Aye, get that covered up and hidden. While you're at it that fence panel second from left could do with getting sorted too!

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s the plan anyway!

if the brickwork's solid, why not drill, plug and screw some 90 degree brackets on to it (inside, so they're hidden by the soil) and then fix the boards on to those, then just some relatively lightweight battens in the corners (same depth as the wood) jsut to give a bit more stability) ?

Edited by Herman Hessian

1 minute ago, Herman Hessian said:

if the brickwork's solid, why not drill, plug and screw some 90 degree brackets on to it (inside, so they're hidden by the soil) and then fix the boards on to those, then just some relatively lightweight battens in the corners (same depth as the wood) jsut to give a bit more stability) ?

The bricks are gubbed, but I’ll do something similar to the batten idea a variation on what @mishtergrolsch suggested.

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hope you sent the c**t an invoice for the labour.

Naw we shared the workload. Gave me  hand to dig out the old washing poles  By christ they were put in not to move in the old days.

Screenshot_20200512-181352_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Mr Pikey

4 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Naw we shared the workload. Gave me  hand to dig out the old washing poles  By christ they were put in not to move in the old days.

Did you stay 2 metres apart at all time?

6 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Love a good mattock, may it last you all your life.

8 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Yes. We both used a big podger to prise them out

f**k sake do I need to do everything round here? 

94B54EB2-11A1-4FA3-9A15-434AFA25DB9A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Aye. They didnt muck about back then. I dug the ones I inherited out and they werent much better. Ended up digging a huge hole where my log pile is, burying them and topping it up with concrete so now I have a solid as f**k base for wood chopping.

15 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Yes. We both used a big podger to prise them out

Hope you employed the correct manual handling techniques while using said tool. 

A&E are at capacity and wouldn't welcome a podger based incident.

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hope you employed the correct manual handling techniques while using said tool. 

A&E are at capacity and wouldn't welcome a podger based incident.

They’d probably welcome the distraction if the had the correct PPE (pee pee equipment).

Oh, podger...