Gardening Thread

I never knew that - can you grow them under glass first while it's nippy then put them outside during spells of hot weather to get them hotter, or will that not work?
On potatoes - I normally grow roosters but tried golden wonders last year, found them to be rather dry and too starchy. Going back to what I know. I never bother with earlies, but if I did would I plant them in the same plot?
I kept a Scot's Bonnet chili plant going for three full seasons and its fruits were hottest in the second year, when it spent most time outside in direct sunlight.
Pentland Javelin are the favourite earlies in my area - any garden centre will advise. It's important to chit earlies before planting - Google. Grow in rows in same area but remember to rotate crops to avoid disease.

All veggies you mention, you can grow easily in Scotland. Tomatoes and peppers (capsicums) fare best under glass and chillies will LOOK good if grown indoors but really need direct sunlight and real heat if you are to grow them 'hot'.Most common herbs actually grow too well,and you need to keep using them. Basil inside only.
Trench dig lots of well rotted manure in now to the main patch. Don't be over ambitious in year one or you'll get bored / fucked off :

Tatties - second earlies and maincrop; get varieties it's difficult to buying supermarkets(Pink For Apple is a wee cracker. )
Onions - buy sets first year
Leeks - again, plants year one
Courgettes - great crops in Scotland and you can make fiotri de zucchini as the fruits flower.
Give it a go!
Yours,
Jim McColl / George Barron

^^^ check the nick of this one. Erudite, knowledgable and concise. Wtf you doing on PnB M9?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Shed update... Have the weather board, roof and felt on.

Was frosty this morning so glad I don't have spuds out yet. Still chittin in the house. I have them getting full sun on a windowsill which is probably wrong

IMG-20190310-WA0002.jpeg

Nice job ! 

• 4 months later...
On 11/03/2019 at 10:40, Mallo_Madrid said:

53426607_2064462773672158_56851657463431168_n.jpg

looks more atmospheric that the keepmoat - good work, that man !

bit more on-topic - can anyone recommend a decent wild flower seed mix - we've tried three different ones and they've all been shite - an entire garden full of fucking corn cockles and nowt else was the most recent result, no sign of any of the other purported ingredients whatsoever....

My greenhouse is flying up.

Going to need a "no fat chicks" sign because The entrance is only 16 inches wide. Scavenged all the wood and glass so limited as to what way it would go together hence the tiny doorway.

Will have to fork out for perspex sheets for the roof but so far I've spent about 35 quid on screws, bolts and brackets.

And I'll treat it with a dark stain at the end.

20190715_173613.jpg

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

My greenhouse is flying up.

Going to need a "no fat chicks" sign because The entrance is only 16 inches wide. Scavenged all the wood and glass so limited as to what way it would go together hence the tiny doorway.

Will have to fork out for perspex sheets for the roof but so far I've spent about 35 quid on screws, bolts and brackets.

And I'll treat it with a dark stain at the end.

20190715_173613.jpg

Stain it before you put the Perspex in then stain the beads before you put them in.

On 14/07/2019 at 20:52, Herman Hessian said:

looks more atmospheric that the keepmoat - good work, that man !

bit more on-topic - can anyone recommend a decent wild flower seed mix - we've tried three different ones and they've all been shite - an entire garden full of fucking corn cockles and nowt else was the most recent result, no sign of any of the other purported ingredients whatsoever....

I used scotia seeds for a few packets earlier this year. So far so good as they’re staring to flower now.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

What do you mean by beads?

54 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Glazing beads, an alternative to putty.

Yeah, I suppose you could use putty but might look neater with glazing beads.  Just narrow 10mm x 10mm or so) strips of wood that would hold the Perspex in place.  

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

You'd still need some kind of putty or sealant & need to paint it in place to lap the edge surely?

Not if you’re fitting into a rebate, which I’d image you’d be doing even if you’re just puttying it.

Beads and if necessary some clear silicone.