Gardening Thread

Calling out to any greenfingered P&Bers.

I'm looking to start growing my own veg in the Mother in Laws garden. It's a fairly new build so i reckon the garden is going to be turf laid on a layer of topsoil then rubble, so thinking im going to need to go down the raised bed option along with a greenhouse.

Do any other P&Bers grow their own veg?

What are the easiest things to grow in the Scottish climate?

The veg we buy the most and therefore would be lookign to grow are:

Tomatoes

Leeks

Peppers

Chillies

Lettuce

Radish

Onion

Potatoes

Would also like to grow some herbs:

Basil

Parsley

Rosemary

Oregano

Any advice or links to some good sites would be much appreciated.

Any topsoil that you put down might take a few years and a lot of compost and fertiliser through it before it starts to produce good vegetables. Carrots,beetroot and peas grow quite well up here.

Greenhouse for the tomatoes obviously, and for the peppers and chillies. You can also use it to start off some of your veggies in small trays of pots.

You also have to grow the obligatory rhubarb.

Basil

Parsley

Rosemary

Oregano

Was going to ask if you were going to Scarborough fair, but that's parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

I'll ignore you inserted a radish earlier also. Who, in the name o boabby Glennie, buys radishes?

Yer at it.

ETA the bois happy (as f**k)

Edited by Dee Dee

Tried it last year, lost a war with slugs and snails ( wee prlcks)

Lettuce, currots, spuds, Strawberry's, onions, beetroot. Only the spuds gave a decent crop, wee slimy Celt......ERM I mean slugs munched the rest.

Tried some herbs like parsley, thyme and basil in the hoose and they can up not to bad. Got some mixed chilli seeds from Santa and will plant them too.

• 3 years later...

My dog has absolutely annihilated my back lawn. It has a labradoodle running track round it.

I have a guy coming to quote me to replace the whole thing with the artificial stuff. Which is class, because I have zero notion for tending to a garden with a dog that resembles a small horse running around on it. 

Calling out to any greenfingered P&Bers.

I'm looking to start growing my own veg in the Mother in Laws garden. It's a fairly new build so i reckon the garden is going to be turf laid on a layer of topsoil then rubble, so thinking im going to need to go down the raised bed option along with a greenhouse.

Do any other P&Bers grow their own veg?

What are the easiest things to grow in the Scottish climate?

The veg we buy the most and therefore would be lookign to grow are:

Tomatoes

Leeks

Peppers

Chillies

Lettuce

Radish

Onion

Potatoes

Basil

Parsley

Rosemary

Oregano

Any advice or links to some good sites would be much appreciated.

All veggies you mention, you can grow easily in Scotland. Tomatoes and peppers (capsicums) fare best under glass and chillies will LOOK good if grown indoors but really need direct sunlight and real heat if you are to grow them 'hot'.

Most common herbs actually grow too well,and you need to keep using them. Basil inside only.

Trench dig lots of well rotted manure in now to the main patch. Don't be over ambitious in year one or you'll get bored / fucked off :

Tatties - second earlies and maincrop; get varieties it's difficult to buying supermarkets(Pink For Apple is a wee cracker. )

Onions - buy sets first year

Leeks - again, plants year one

Courgettes - great crops in Scotland and you can make fiotri de zucchini as the fruits flower.

Give it a go!

Yours,

Jim McColl / George Barron

33 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
1 hour ago, The Elephant & Castle said:
Was goin to rev up the mower today for the first trim o the year. Load of moisture on the grass due to being  a frosty night.
Maybe just leave it the now :whistle

Bit early to be cutting the grass is it not?

All i know is my grass has been growing for weeks now with the mild weather.

29 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:
36 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
Bit early to be cutting the grass is it not?

Yup. Still too early even for lawn sand / moss treatment unless you're in SW Scotland.

I'll take your word for it Big Chief.

Cheers

My daffodils have been up for weeks aswell