Early round shocks and memorable matches

forever_blue

Being devoted to amateurism they were opposed to league football, believing (rightly!) that it would lead to open professionalism and a situation where the smaller provincial and less well supported clubs could not compete. They did not join SFL despite invitation and continued with cups and friendlies.

Mind you this did not stop them accepting an exemption to the last 16 of the Scottish Cup when they were first introduced in 1891; joining the Glasgow League in 1895 (supplementary league with OF & Third Lanark); nor finally joining SFL straight at tier 1 in 1900 with exemption from relegation (ended 1922).

Thanks.

I'd no idea that they weren't part of national leagues until the twentieth century.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In seasons with more than 1 division in the Scottish League - otherwise it wouldn't be much of a shock tbh - only the following non-league clubs have actually beaten clubs from the top tier:

I've been doing some research into Alloa's 1921 Scottish Cup run (which I mentioned earlier in the thread). Alloa were in the Central League and there was only 1 division in the Scottish League, but Alloa's wins over Falkirk and Clydebank - and draw with Rangers - were certainly regarded as shocks. Alloa were in the same league as Falkirk Reserves.

In other words, the Alloa wins over Falkirk and Clydebank should be on the list :)

I've been doing some research into Alloa's 1921 Scottish Cup run (which I mentioned earlier in the thread). Alloa were in the Central League and there was only 1 division in the Scottish League, but Alloa's wins over Falkirk and Clydebank - and draw with Rangers - were certainly regarded as shocks. Alloa were in the same league as Falkirk Reserves.

In other words, the Alloa wins over Falkirk and Clydebank should be on the list :)

A great year 8)

post-1545-14528960865885_thumb.jpg

Well then:

1890-91

R1 ... Cowlairs 1-3 Airdrieonians

R4 ... Leith Athletic 3-1 Vale of Leven

R5 ... St Mirren 2-3 Queen's Park

1891-92

R1 ... Abercorn 2-3 Queen's Park

R1 ... Cowlairs 3-1 Cambuslang

R2 ... Annbank 2-1 Leith Athletic

R3 ... Queen's Park 4-1 Dumbarton

SF ... Queen's Park 3-0 Renton

1892-93