New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

• 4 weeks later...

I've mentioned on here before that there'll soon be direct flights between Inverness and Zurich.  I looked them up recently and it's one each way a week.  I'd be intrigued to go if there was say flights there on a Monday and back on the Thursday or Friday, but I'm not going to go for a whole week.

54 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've mentioned on here before that there'll soon be direct flights between Inverness and Zurich.  I looked them up recently and it's one each way a week.  I'd be intrigued to go if there was say flights there on a Monday and back on the Thursday or Friday, but I'm not going to go for a whole week.

Aberdeen flights to and from Geneva with Easyjet go on Saturdays and the Inverness flights to/from Zurich go on Tuesdays, so Saturday to Tuesday or Tuesday to Saturday is doable.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aberdeen flights to and from Geneva with Easyjet go on Saturdays and the Inverness flights to/from Zurich go on Tuesdays, so Saturday to Tuesday or Tuesday to Saturday is doable.

I see.  Thing is though most people will probably look at these flights and see it's a week between each way and not bother.  A shame they couldn't have had a distance of five days between each way as opposed to seven.

12 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I see.  Thing is though most people will probably look at these flights and see it's a week between each way and not bother.  A shame they couldn't have had a distance of five days between each way as opposed to seven.

I'm in Jersey at the moment and the flight from Inverness lands on a Saturday and straight back to Inverness. If there's only one flight a week that's probably the only economic way of doing it.

P.S. Hopefully enough people use it to make it worth their while putting on an extra flight.

Edited by welshbairn

The seasonal, once a week on a Friday Inverness to Mallorca  flight started the other day.  Think its only running for 8 weeks throughout the summer.  Seems pretty pricey for flights and a weeks accommodation though.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The seasonal, once a week on a Friday Inverness to Mallorca  flight started the other day.  Think its only running for 8 weeks throughout the summer.  Seems pretty pricey for flights and a weeks accommodation though.

You can get flights only and sort out your own accommodation. Still pricey but not ridiculous considering it's peak season at £285 for mid July, considering the hassle and potential hotel costs for changing planes in London or early morning flights from Central Scotland.

• 1 month later...

American is switching its Glasgow-Philadelphia route to Edinburgh, and dumping Edinburgh-JFK.

A net gain for Edinburgh IMO, because they've still got Delta (to JFK), United (to Newark) and Norwegian (to somewhere 90 minutes north of NYC) to serve the New York market. 

Hasn’t been mentioned here but Finnair making their flight from Edinburgh-Helsinki year rounds and thrice weekly looks like a great option for those looking to fly to the Far East.

American is switching its Glasgow-Philadelphia route to Edinburgh, and dumping Edinburgh-JFK.
A net gain for Edinburgh IMO, because they've still got Delta (to JFK), United (to Newark) and Norwegian (to somewhere 90 minutes north of NYC) to serve the New York market. 

Newburgh I believe. They always have the Norwegian route to Providence, RI.

On 22/08/2018 at 23:35, Enigma said:

Hasn’t been mentioned here but Finnair making their flight from Edinburgh-Helsinki year rounds and thrice weekly looks like a great option for those looking to fly to the Far East.

It's still a decent option for some places because of the flight path, but there's more competition, and also the direct Edinburgh - Beijing flight now.

22 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's still a decent option for some places because of the flight path, but there's more competition, and also the direct Edinburgh - Beijing flight now.

When I was looking for cheap flights to Japan some of the best deals were via Helsinki.

Does anyone else recollect talk a few years back (perhaps closer to a decade) that there was going to be new direct flights between Aberdeen and Texas (Houston as I recall)?  Never happened.  I assume it was to do with the oil industry.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:45, welshbairn said:

When I was looking for cheap flights to Japan some of the best deals were via Helsinki.

I had the same when booking  for a trip to Australia - in the end though I decided to pay more money for more direct and quicker flights.