New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

On 26/01/2023 at 03:21, 101 said:

New daily flight from Edinburgh to Atlanta USA.

Made me look it up, eh?

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/10/delta-strengthens-scotlands-transatlantic-connectivity-with-atlanta-edinburgh-service/

Disappointed it’s Delta, as I still hate the b*****ds for losing my bags in 1997! But that’s a useful flight none the less. Starts May 23, 5 times a week. I assume international arrivals at EDI are superior to the common London s**tholes?

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Made me look it up, eh?

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/10/delta-strengthens-scotlands-transatlantic-connectivity-with-atlanta-edinburgh-service/

Disappointed it’s Delta, as I still hate the b*****ds for losing my bags in 1997! But that’s a useful flight none the less. Starts May 23, 5 times a week. I assume international arrivals at EDI are superior to the common London s**tholes?

Edinburgh has far fewer domestic arrivals so international arrivals have been fine in my last few trips through.

Only time using a connecting flight in London they didn't manage to get my case on the next flight when they had 5 & 11 hours to do so.

On 24/01/2023 at 18:33, AuAl said:

Wonder how long it will be until there are no commercial flights out of Prestwick. Only Ryanair left, with seasonal flights to holiday islands. Used to be a really handy wee airport.

Bring back Prestwick - Stansted.

It's been only ryanair for about 10 year now. hard to see anyone else coming in now, all the other low cost carriers have re-located to Glasgow intl. 

the expansion of Edinburgh & Glasgow in the 2010s gave them all extra room, there's no need to land in the middle of nowhere anymore 

8 hours ago, Elixir said:

Belfast, Bournemouth, Cornwall, and Stansted. Hold me back. 🤪

You'll be able to fly to Venice and be in Ljubljana 2 hours 55 minutes later, direct bus from Marco Polo Airport (2 stops on the way).

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You'll be able to fly to Venice and be in Ljubljana 2 hours 55 minutes later, direct bus from Marco Polo Airport (2 stops on the way).

You could already fly to Venice (and Rhodes) from Edinburgh with easyJet. Pretty disappointing announcement from them, tbh. Apparently should be announcing new routes from Glasgow soon as well, though I personally wouldn't bother with the hassle since I hail from Embra...

• 4 weeks later...

New flights from Glasgow to various North American destinations* via Iceland. This has been tried before I think.

https://www.flyplay.com/

Baltimore
Baltimore/Washington Intl Airport
BWI
flag
Boston
Boston Logan International Airport
BOS
flag
New York
New York Stewart Intl Airport NYC
SWF
flag
Toronto
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport
YHM
flag
Washington
Washington Dulles Int

Edited by welshbairn

On 07/03/2023 at 15:40, welshbairn said:

New flights from Glasgow to various North American destinations* via Iceland. This has been tried before I think.

https://www.flyplay.com/

Baltimore
Baltimore/Washington Intl Airport
BWI
flag
Boston
Boston Logan International Airport
BOS
flag
New York
New York Stewart Intl Airport NYC
SWF
flag
Toronto
John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport
YHM
flag
Washington
Washington Dulles Int

I hope they don't push out Icelandair . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2023 at 18:53, Ekhibee88 said:

Stansted has been served before, possibly the second or third time. Ryanair domestic routes never seem to last.

I suppose having lobbied for a domestic APD cut for long, Ryanair had to give it a go.

KLM and BA's lack of competition at Aberdeen is a ballache for prices just now.

ABZ-AMS is actually slightly closer than GLA-AMS but KLM's prices are about £50-60 higher on return flights from up here, which adds up for a trip for a family of 4.  No competition on that route from Easyjet at Aberdeen. 

Given that Schiphol has capacity and staffing issues, I wonder it Air France will eventually restart flights from up here.  Lufthansa would be even better but I doubt that will happen for a while.

Edited by O_Kahn

1 hour ago, O_Kahn said:

KLM and BA's lack of competition at Aberdeen is a ballache for prices just now.

ABZ-AMS is actually slightly closer than GLA-AMS but KLM's prices are about £50-60 higher on return flights from up here, which adds up for a trip for a family of 4.  No competition on that route from Easyjet at Aberdeen. 

Given that Schiphol has capacity and staffing issues, I wonder it Air France will eventually restart flights from up here.  Lufthansa would be even better but I doubt that will happen for a while.

A quick look says KLM prices for INV-AMS are about double EDI-AMS where they compete with Easyjet.