New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

18 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I'd imagine so.  I've always fancied going to Finland but the flights from Edinburgh to Helsinki are pretty extortionate.

The Lapland trips are similarly extortionate.  With the one day ones, I've always thought there's so much risk (in terms of enjoyment) placed on one day, even if the kids might love it.

On 14/06/2022 at 21:22, Highland Capital said:

I'd imagine so.  I've always fancied going to Finland but the flights from Edinburgh to Helsinki are pretty extortionate.

I ended up going from Manchester when I went over (I'm also based in Edinburgh), but I just checked and realised that was in 2014 so hardly relevant.

Going to Tallinn & getting the ferry across is always an option, too. Another great city.

On 14/06/2022 at 21:22, Highland Capital said:

We went there with KLM from Glasgow and spent a couple of days in Amsterdam as part of the trip.

Edited by craigkillie

• FlyerTon changed the title to New Air Routes from Scotland
  • 4 weeks later...

Easyjet have started competing with Loganair on their Inverness to Manchester route, up until October then starting again in March. They're seriously undercutting Loganair, flew down to Man and back recently and the planes were nearly empty, I'd booked before Easyjet started poaching. I hope Loganair doesn't go down the pan, they fly routes the big boys don't bother with.

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I see the reborn Flybe have scrapped hundreds of planned routes including Inverness to Belfast.

Think it could be due to a shortage of planes to lease at the moment as loads of them are stranded in Russia and unserviced.

Loganair already fly that route anyway, I wish airlines would be more imaginative in their destinations from Inverness.

Edited by welshbairn

On 01/08/2022 at 14:56, welshbairn said:

Think it could be due to a shortage of planes to lease at the moment as loads of them are stranded in Russia and unserviced.

Loganair already fly that route anyway, I wish airlines would be more imaginative in their destinations from Inverness.

Yeah.  Inverness to Bishkek would be exciting.  Can't see it happening.

38 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yeah.  Inverness to Bishkek would be exciting.  Can't see it happening.

Flew with Logan to Bergen not too long ago, bringing that back and maybe Oslo and Reykjavik would be nice. They have some occasional charters to Northern Iceland and Mallorca, previously the Italian lakes, more of that please. They also did Switzerland but very expensively, aimed at the Swiss coming to see Nessie.

Edited by welshbairn

There used to be flights to Düsseldorf from Inverness a few years back (with Eurowings I think). The Bergen flight was good but I take it it didn’t have the numbers to be sustainable. As I recall the Edelweiss flights to Zurich were astronomical. Would be good if there was something a bit more into the continent. I used to wonder if flights to Poland would’ve worked but I guess the chance for that has passed. 

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

Loganair up for sale HERE

I really hope they survive and any buyer keeps the more marginal routes going, it's pretty well essential in the North. Easyjet have started poaching passengers on some of its more profitable routes, maybe that was part of the reason the owners decided to sell.

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I really hope they survive and any buyer keeps the more marginal routes going, it's pretty well essential in the North. Easyjet have started poaching passengers on some of its more profitable routes, maybe that was part of the reason the owners decided to sell.

Thinking a management buyout?

better suited than these vulture companies who come and asset strip.

The 'owners', two brothers (who 'own' Airline Investments Limited) wanting to retire...

3 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

Thinking a management buyout?

better suited than these vulture companies who come and asset strip.

The 'owners', two brothers (who 'own' Airline Investments Limited) wanting to retire...

A quick google tells me they were the Bonds who ran most of the North Sea helicopters from the 70s onwards so they're probably seriously loaded and thinking about retirement. Hopefully a management buyout with the backing of investors looking for a modest but reliable dividend would satisfy them rather than the highest bidding asset stripper. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

A quick google tells me they were the Bonds who ran most of the North Sea helicopters from the 70s onwards so they're probably seriously loaded and thinking about retirement. Hopefully a management buyout with the backing of investors looking for a modest but reliable dividend would satisfy them rather than the highest bidding asset stripper. 

260 odd million they got I think....

Still, like yourself thinking management buyout...

• 1 month later...