New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

The Dublin flights might return. They were the second leg on the Manchester - Inverness flight - anyone know what that plane is doing now once it gets to the sneck?

Are you sure?  The Manchester -> Inverness flight used to go onto Bergen but that route seems to have been discontinued.  Shame as Bergen was lovely but there wasn't many of either leg of the journey when I went.

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Are you sure?  The Manchester -> Inverness flight used to go onto Bergen but that route seems to have been discontinued.  Shame as Bergen was lovely but there wasn't many of either leg of the journey when I went.

I could be wrong, but I'd nearly swear that the Manchester plane was the same one used for the Dublin flight.

That being said, I used to take the flight a lot more regularly back in the early days of the route, so it could well have changed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's what the Greens think of the future of international travel in Scotland:

Granted, her utterly warped worldview appears to be referring to business travel, but maybe the fat slob could go on a diet to help cut carbon emissions.

Edited by Elixir

• 1 month later...
On 22/04/2021 at 09:54, Elixir said:

Here's what the Greens think of the future of international travel in Scotland:

Granted, her utterly warped worldview appears to be referring to business travel, but maybe the fat slob could go on a diet to help cut carbon emissions.

alot of these c***s don't live anywhere near the real world. Also they stink of having this middle class " doesn't affect me i don't care " attitude 

That said, a fair amount of business travel is just glorified jolly boys outings that some company's might challenge on the grounds of time & money now they know there's an alternative  when before they might just have accepted it as the done thing

On 24/05/2021 at 20:35, effeffsee_the2nd said:

That said, a fair amount of business travel is just glorified jolly boys outings that some company's might challenge on the grounds of time & money now they know there's an alternative  when before they might just have accepted it as the done thing

That was most certainly true before the 2008 Financial Crash but I think a lot of companies by necessity had to clamp down on such jollies.  They've probably started to creep in again so this pandemic will likely bat it back down again,  Not only will people not necessarily be allowed to travel on business but they may not want to either. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

That was most certainly true before the 2008 Financial Crash but I think a lot of companies by necessity had to clamp down on such jollies.  They've probably started to creep in again so this pandemic will likely bat it back down again,  Not only will people not necessarily be allowed to travel on business but they may not want to either. 

My job was about 75% travel and stopped abruptly February last year. The company has clearly saved a fortune and thus my role has now evolved to encompass two roles and when travel resumes (expecting either Q4 this year or next year), it will probably be only 25%. There is a huge drive in our place to remove cost, automate and ultimately reduce headcount. 

As you say similar happened in 2008, but with much better connectivity and online tools now I doubt things will get back to what it was before and many companies and industries will go through significant change.

On the ‘may not want to either’. We had an open position for an MD in Shanghai which attracted 20-30 internal, European applicants around 2-3 years ago. The job came available again mid last year and there was 1 European applicant. We are certainly seeing less willingness to travel and even less people wanting to be working overseas.

Got to say I am really missing my travel (even to the The Philippines 😉 ) and expect  it never to be like it was before. Although the changes and the ability to do more remote work may allow me to move without needing to be tied to a desk or major airport which gives me options I was only planning for when retired.

16 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

My job was about 75% travel and stopped abruptly February last year. The company has clearly saved a fortune and thus my role has now evolved to encompass two roles and when travel resumes (expecting either Q4 this year or next year), it will probably be only 25%. There is a huge drive in our place to remove cost, automate and ultimately reduce headcount. 

As you say similar happened in 2008, but with much better connectivity and online tools now I doubt things will get back to what it was before and many companies and industries will go through significant change.

On the ‘may not want to either’. We had an open position for an MD in Shanghai which attracted 20-30 internal, European applicants around 2-3 years ago. The job came available again mid last year and there was 1 European applicant. We are certainly seeing less willingness to travel and even less people wanting to be working overseas.

Got to say I am really missing my travel (even to the The Philippines 😉 ) and expect  it never to be like it was before. Although the changes and the ability to do more remote work may allow me to move without needing to be tied to a desk or major airport which gives me options I was only planning for when retired.

It must be bad if you're missing the good old Philippines! In my last UK job I travelled all over the UK every day - I cannot imagine how I would have been able to survive if I wasn't able to get out and about a lot.  

4 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

It's easy to think things won't go back to how they were in the midst of a crisis, and while business travel might not recover quite to the levels of the past, once the crisis is over, things will improve considerably.

I certainly think come the middle of the decade, there will be more leisure travel than ever before.

56 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's easy to think things won't go back to how they were in the midst of a crisis, and while business travel might not recover quite to the levels of the past, once the crisis is over, things will improve considerably.

I certainly think come the middle of the decade, there will be more leisure travel than ever before.

For business travel it will be industry specific. Our company is well on the way to significant change in how they operate and have through some aggressive change been very profitable through this whole crisis. Therefore for us and I am sure many there will be no going back. Certainly our competitors and customers are doing similar. My expanded role is in fact to ensure the automation and process is driven into the region.

Leisure travel will defintly get back to normal eventually and will grow, but I reckon business travel will struggle or at least take a very long time to get back to more recent numbers and it can’t be understated the importance of business travel to the airlines and hotels.

Time will tell of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Easyjet starting summer flights from Inverness to Newquay in Cornwall, £54 for a return flight in August. Anybody know the area, better to stay somewhere nearby rather than Newquay?

P.S. Looked on Airbnb for somewhere to stay, cheapest was £92 pound a night for a fucking yurt! :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

On 17/06/2021 at 10:29, welshbairn said:

Easyjet starting summer flights from Inverness to Newquay in Cornwall, £54 for a return flight in August. Anybody know the area, better to stay somewhere nearby rather than Newquay?

P.S. Looked on Airbnb for somewhere to stay, cheapest was £92 pound a night for a fucking yurt! :lol:

Inverness Airport will be on the look out for anyone pretending they are walking from Land's End to John O Groats!

Also launched Aberdeen to Bristol and strangely Edinburgh to Manchester!

Also launched Aberdeen to Bristol and strangely Edinburgh to Manchester!