New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Loganair have started new direct flights between Edinburgh...and Glasgow. :blink:
I think this is part of their Southampton route, Glasgow-Edinburgh-Southampton.

A few of the airlines have been doing this lately with the likes of Air Transat doing Glasgow-Manchester-Toronto.

53 minutes ago, spud131 said:

I think this is part of their Southampton route, Glasgow-Edinburgh-Southampton.

A few of the airlines have been doing this lately with the likes of Air Transat doing Glasgow-Manchester-Toronto.

Yeah, they used to do East Midlands (I think) - Inverness - Bergen and Inverness - Orkney - Shetland. Really hope they survive Covid, they must be struggling. I go to Birmingham quite regularly from Inverness, used to be packed, went a couple of months ago and there were about 8 passengers in each direction, they cancelled the route shortly after.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, they used to do East Midlands (I think) - Inverness - Bergen and Inverness - Orkney - Shetland. Really hope they survive Covid, they must be struggling. I go to Birmingham quite regularly from Inverness, used to be packed, went a couple of months ago and there were about 8 passengers in each direction, they cancelled the route shortly after.

Aye Loganair are absolutely vital for Inverness Airport. If they go under, it'll be in a fair bit of trouble.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Aye Loganair are absolutely vital for Inverness Airport. If they go under, it'll be in a fair bit of trouble.

A recent oil industry presentation predicts that 2 or even possibly 3 of the 5 "proper " airports in Scotland could close due to covid, one will almost certainly be Prestwick and inverness the other, if it's a prolonged and extreme downturn then one of either Glasgow or Edinburgh could go with the offshore and Northern isles flights keeping Aberdeen secure

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

A recent oil industry presentation predicts that 2 or even possibly 3 of the 5 "proper " airports in Scotland could close due to covid, one will almost certainly be Prestwick and inverness the other, if it's a prolonged and extreme downturn then one of either Glasgow or Edinburgh could go with the offshore and Northern isles flights keeping Aberdeen secure

Inverness Airport will be in trouble but it'll still survive because there should be enough PSO's to keep it going. Like, I'd imagine it'll lose a lot of routes but it'll still survive. If the Scottish Government didn't rescue HIAL it would piss a lot of people off in the Highlands and Islands.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Inverness Airport will be in trouble but it'll still survive because there should be enough PSO's to keep it going. Like, I'd imagine it'll lose a lot of routes but it'll still survive. If the Scottish Government didn't rescue HIAL it would piss a lot of people off in the Highlands and Islands.

oohh you mean like  a hundred?? :lol:

nah I know what you mean, the government have been propping up Prestwick for years due to it being in a bit of an unemployment hotspot so theres no way they want the headlines  " the snp took oor airport away! "  but perhaps money will become an issue and they have to pick their favourate

4 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

nah I know what you mean, the government have been propping up Prestwick for years due to it being in a bit of an unemployment hotspot so theres no way they want the headlines  " the snp took oor airport away! "  but perhaps money will become an issue and they have to pick their favourate

HIAL doesn't just run Inverness Airport though, it runs 11 airports across Scotland, some of which provide absolutely essential transport links for rural communities. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say there's an argument that some of those airports could be construed as Critical National Infrastructure.

Aside from the obvious perception issues it would cause the SNP as it centralises power and pours money into the Central Belt, these airports are simply fundamentally important to the way people live their lives. HIAL is fully owned by the Scottish Government so it would be pretty unforgivable if it went under or shut airports.

34 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Just under a million passengers used Inverness Airport last year, it's a major tourist hub.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just under a million passengers used Inverness Airport last year, it's a major tourist hub.

Yep.  Assuming Inverness would be closed is just central-belt ignorance.  Inverness and the Highlands is now a prime holiday location in Britain if not Europe - hotel rooms in the summer months can be minimum £200 and there's currently about three new hotels being built (with plans for more).  The idea that it'd be closed to passengers and the lifeline services moved elsewhere is madness. 

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Yep.  Assuming Inverness would be closed is just central-belt ignorance.  Inverness and the Highlands is now a prime holiday location in Britain if not Europe - hotel rooms in the summer months can be minimum £200 and there's currently about three new hotels being built (with plans for more).  The idea that it'd be closed to passengers and the lifeline services moved elsewhere is madness. 

Are they still building that hotel opposite the airport? They were well into it last time I flew in but that's the type of project that gets suspended when the bad times hit.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Are they still building that hotel opposite the airport? They were well into it last time I flew in but that's the type of project that gets suspended when the bad times hit.

It opened in July.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

They're also either building or about to start building a railway station at Inverness Airport as well.  Hardly something they'd do if it was going to be closed...

Was there not plans for a pile of new houses next to it as well?

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

They're also either building or about to start building a railway station at Inverness Airport as well.  Hardly something they'd do if it was going to be closed...

Due to open in 2023 apparently, on the Inverness to Aberdeen line unsurprisingly. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Was there not plans for a pile of new houses next to it as well?

Yes, they're meant to be building the 'new' Tornagrain all the way down to the A96 and across over onto the airport side.