New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:17, Highland Capital said:

Ryanair and Wizz Air are starting flights from Edinburgh to Bucharest towards the end of the year.  I went over to Romania for Caley Thistle's European game in 2015 and it was a much nicer city than I was expecting.

interesting,i fancy bucharest

Just found out that if you fly with KLM to Amsterdam you can get free high speed train tickets to Antwerp and other places. Unfortunately I've already booked and paid for mine when I fly from Inverness in a couple of weeks, would have saved £50.

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/plan_and_book/ticket_information/travel_by_train_or_bus_on_a_KLM_ticket/index.htm

P.S. This is all bollocks, as pointed out below.

Edited by welshbairn

interesting,i fancy bucharest

When I was there I happened to the be in same hotel as the team. It was the 5 star Marriot next door to the Romanian parliament. I forget how much I paid per night, but I’m sure it was something like £40!

On 28/08/2019 at 12:13, welshbairn said:

Just found out that if you fly with KLM to Amsterdam you can get free high speed train tickets to Antwerp and other places. Unfortunately I've already booked and paid for mine when I fly from Inverness in a couple of weeks, would have saved £50.

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/plan_and_book/ticket_information/travel_by_train_or_bus_on_a_KLM_ticket/index.htm

Are they definitely free? I would have guessed that they would just be bundled in and added to the fare.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Are they definitely free? I would have guessed that they would just be bundled in and added to the fare.

You're right, the cheeky c***s, just checked. The add on for my train tickets would have been over £200 instead of the £50 I paid, so probably maximum with no discounts for booking early etc. You wouldn't think so from reading their bumf.

On certain routes, KLM offers a (free) bus or train ride to or from the airport. Just select a bus stop or train station as point of departure or arrival of your trip. 

They did a free "anywhere in holland " at one point.You used to just show your boarding pass up to 3hrs after your flight landed apart from travel into Amsterdam.I used to do this when i worked in the hague.It was an effort to try and tempt tourists away from the dam.

Not free as advertised then.

I see Loganair have started flights from Inverness to the East Midlands.

Also, I see another airline are doing flights from Inverness to Amsterdam - Corendon Dutch Airlines.  Can't say I've heard of them but they're more of a charter airline apparently.

Edited by Highland Capital

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I see Loganair are starting flights from early next year to Brussels and Haugesund from Aberdeen.

Also, looks like the flights from Inverness to Zurich have ended as apparently Edelweiss are not operating next year.  I see TUI have started flights to Majorca though.

Edited by Highland Capital

On 15/09/2019 at 23:30, Kejan said:

Any chance of a flight from Dundee again to mainland Europe?

f**k knows where, but I've always fancied flying in/out of the airport - but feck paying about £250 for a flight to London!

The flight to Amsterdam will almost certainly start again after August next year, when I no longer need to travel there regularly. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/09/2019 at 23:30, Kejan said:

Any chance of a flight from Dundee again to mainland Europe?

f**k knows where, but I've always fancied flying in/out of the airport - but feck paying about £250 for a flight to London!

There are infrastructure problems at Dundee, believe it was todo with line of sight for the radar which is fine for private aircraft but not commercial, hence why they scrapped the route to Amsterdam. Required HIAL to stick their hands in their pockets to sort so not convinced anything will happen anytime soon unless the council or Scottish gov given them a nudge. 

13 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

There are infrastructure problems at Dundee, believe it was todo with line of sight for the radar which is fine for private aircraft but not commercial, hence why they scrapped the route to Amsterdam. Required HIAL to stick their hands in their pockets to sort so not convinced anything will happen anytime soon unless the council or Scottish gov given them a nudge. 

Not sure how Loganair can keep flying to Stansted, though subsidies might have something to do with it.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure how Loganair can keep flying to Stansted, though subsidies might have something to do with it.

Different aircraft type, the Dash 8 Flybe used is a "heavier" aircraft as such required a higher level of support.