New Air Routes from Scotland

FlyerTon

On Passenger Numbers: (Jan 15-16)

1. Edinburgh - 11,188,204 - International
  2. Glasgow - 8,774,297 - International
  3. Aberdeen - 3,425,972 - International
  4. Inverness - 665,385 - International
  5. Prestwick - 609,511 - International
  6. Sumburgh - 268,939 - International (Bergen only)
  7. Scatsta - 246,251 - Private Flights only
  8. Kirkwall - 149,346 - Domestic only
  9. Stornoway - 124280 - Domestic only
  10. Benbecula - 32,081 - Domestic only

Dundee was 13th with 22,219 but will probably be 10th next year

With FlyBE being the closest thing we have to a national airline, it's very impressive that Scotland's top ten airports (none of which have more than one terminal- GLA doesn't count) can have 25 million passengers in 2015.

£63 return for flights to Amsterdam in June with 10kg Hand Luggage. Can't pass that up, looking forward to it. As people have said, hopefully it might be the start of something.

Could be the start of something I guess. I'm not up on the capacity for distance of these plane. Could Brussels, Copenhagen, Oslo or Hamburg be viable with these planes? (That's just based on a quick look at a map and thinking they're not that much further than Amsterdam.

It's not package holiday / charter flights. The flights will be a mix of Scots and Dutch.

Hopefully Flybe strikes up a codeshare with KLM, it will help for connecting flights st Schiphol. Schiphols my favourite airport, go through it a lot and rarely have a problem. Connection times are always decent from Edinburgh, if the flight times from Dundee are decent then it could work out really well.

Someone mentioned Dublin, that'd be a decent flight for connecting flights to North America

Big savings on Air Passenger Duty too! Iceland could be another option.

FWIW, flights to Dublin from Dundee would be fantastic. Would be great for flights to America.

From what I've read Dublin is the other major international route HIAL want to establish, it's just about getting the right airline (Aer Lingus or FlyBE) to do so.

From what I've read Dublin is the other major international route HIAL want to establish, it's just about getting the right airline (Aer Lingus or FlyBE) to do so.

If it's anything like Inverness it will be Flybe to Dublin, Belfast and Jersey, and the odd holiday charter to Switzerland and Italy.

P.S. As you're a lot closer to Edinburgh Airport you might get less than Inverness despite a higher population nearby. What would be great if we could get a few more International destinations by flights from Inverness stopping to fill up the plane in Dundee on route. Not sure if the added fuel costs would allow that.

Edited by welshbairn

£63 return for flights to Amsterdam in June with 10kg Hand Luggage. Can't pass that up, looking forward to it. As people have said, hopefully it might be the start of something.

Could be the start of something I guess. I'm not up on the capacity for distance of these plane. Could Brussels, Copenhagen, Oslo or Hamburg be viable with these planes? (That's just based on a quick look at a map and thinking they're not that much further than Amsterdam.

The Q400 (the aircraft that is doing the AMS flight) has a range of 2,500km which in theory could go from Dundee to St Petersburg. Or any place in the green circle (see link), though from Dundee, I think Helsinki would be it's limit.

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm?clat=56.452436&clng=-3.023536&r=2300&lc=FFFFFF&lw=1&fc=00FF00&mt=r&fs=true

Edited by Marr1

The Q400 (the aircraft that is doing the AMS flight) has a range of 2,500km which in theory could go from Dundee to St Petersburg. Or any place in the green circle (see link), though from Dundee, I think Helsinki would be it's limit.

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm?clat=56.452436&clng=-3.023536&r=2300&lc=FFFFFF&lw=1&fc=00FF00&mt=r&fs=true

The take off run at MTOW is 1402m, the TORA (take-off run available) at Dundee is 1319m, so I think there'll be a payload restriction on the Q400 to get off the ground, so 2500km is maybe optimistic.

At the minute Dundee-Stansted flights are operating below the 50% load factor (I think its operating around 15 pax per flight), and normally thats what is needed to keep a route running albeit without a PSO subsidy. Dundee is just too close to Edinburgh to be properly feasible, I fear - like Prestwick is to Glasgow.

Its the same with an argument for a national airline. Globespan and before that Air Scotland showed that it wasn't doable. Its a great idea but their isn't enough demand. In saying that, Sturgeon Airways has a nice ring to it, no?

The take off run at MTOW is 1402m, the TORA (take-off run available) at Dundee is 1319m, so I think there'll be a payload restriction on the Q400 to get off the ground, so 2500km is maybe optimistic.

I did put the radius on the map to 2,300km which is slightly more realistic

Globespan was a success that got fucked by a dodgy credit card clearing company. They only really catered for the point to point holiday flights, same as Air Scotland but they really were a fuckin joke of an airline.

If Scotland was to have its own airline, it'd basically have to be an extension of Loganair that would serve European and North American destinations like Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Paris and Toronto, Boston, New York... Maybe with the forthcoming APD cut, a Scottish enterprise might look into this as a venture worth trying.

P and B Airlines? #IfWeAllChipInATenner

Globespan was a success that got fucked by a dodgy credit card clearing company. They only really catered for the point to point holiday flights, same as Air Scotland but they really were a fuckin joke of an airline.

If Scotland was to have its own airline, it'd basically have to be an extension of Loganair that would serve European and North American destinations like Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Paris and Toronto, Boston, New York... Maybe with the forthcoming APD cut, a Scottish enterprise might look into this as a venture worth trying.

An APD cut should make a massive difference to inward tourist business. It would also make air travel within the UK more competitive with rail. There should no need for a Government-funded airline as the existing airlines would operate more flights to meet the increased demand.

• 1 month later...