Prospects for play Saturday 9th Jan

Patches O'Houlihan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for checking the lochburn pitch rab i was gonnay head over to the game but a nice early call off cheers

What then are the chances? He's no called it off, just said 'little chance'- which id imagine would be the same for almost every grass pitch in the lowland this weekend.

There hasn't been a sustained dry spell to let the pitches recover, and the forecast for Thursday is not very good. If this goes on much longer it could have implications for getting the league finished in time!

Think you're right. The SPFL will be hoping that someone can win it with a few weeks to spare to ensure that the scheduled playoffs can go ahead. A repeat of the EoS last day decider scenario a few years back ( ironically not able to go ahead due to postponements in May!) would be tough to fit into the timeframe IMO

Thanks for checking the lochburn pitch rab i was gonnay head over to the game but a nice early call off cheers

Where did I say it was off? From what I've been told and looking at the forecast there looks little chance of it being on to me.

PatchesO'Houlan and SurelyNot! been finishing the left-over New Year tipples :o^_^?

Top third of the league have between 10 & 13 league games to play and there are 16 weeks until the playoffs, not to mention midweeks.

Of those City have 10 left, Stirling have 13 left (and no cup-ties), and the others - with 11 or 12 left - play on 3G.

Collectively I only think they've suffered 1 home postponement between them in over 1 year, btw (City-EK last month).

Hardly amounts to fretting about LL over-running at this stage.

Indeed the SPFL2 bottom clubs have between 17 & 19 left, and HL contenders between 9 & 12 plus more cup-ties than LL.

it's less of a problem in this league to play catch up if there's a dry feb/march as, unlike other inferior leagues, we don't mind playing games under lights and there's only a few LL teams don't have lights at their grounds.

It would be a bit of a nuisance for an Edinburgh team to play for example Threave in midweek but we've been down to Dalbeattie and Gretna on schoolnights before and I believe Threave have come up to Edinburgh in midweek too.

Archived