Darvel v Troon Scottish cup tie

Darvel legend

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes it was a shock darvel beating troon and drawing twice with the buffs,but how much of a shock considering most of the young boys in the squad have been with senior teams pro youth.

Well done to Darvel great result. In response to the above its not a shock, if you have seen my posts re ADL clubs going with youth you will see that ive been pushing this point for months. Whilst Darvel have older players than Muirkirk by some margin the philosophy is the same. We travelled to Tayport and got a great result, the only sticky point with youth is consistency but there learning their trade and the ADL under the right management and right club can bring the boys on until the reach their full potential.

Totally agree with the thoughts around bringing young players through and giving that opportunity. With the 14 players we used on Saturday the average age of the whole squad was 23 so other than the result, it's definitely going in the right direction!

That's true, but in the last 3 years we have won promotion from the ADL, won the Ayrshire cup, won the super 1st division title, been at the west cup final, been at the Ardagh Cup final and consolidated our place in the Premier.

Everything in context mate.

I should also mention Football Crazy whilst achieving the above we have also considerably improved our facilities at Portland Park which are a credit to our Club.

We were deservedly beaten on Saturday by a team which a much lower budget and a young team but it happens in football at all levels.

Troon have done brilliant and shows what can be done,not long ago they were in the same division as Darvel. The higher you climb the leagues the more money you need to spend, the more experience you need in the squad. Even if Troon were to go down ( which don't think they will ) they have a fantastic structure in place and would be ready for a quick return.

I should also mention Football Crazy whilst achieving the above we have also considerably improved our facilities at Portland Park which are a credit to our Club.

We were deservedly beaten on Saturday by a team which a much lower budget and a young team but it happens in football at all levels.

It certainly does happen and the season after we won the west of Scotland cup in 2008/2009 we started our first round defence of it at home to thorniewood and they were priced at 12/1 that day and beat us very deservedly 0-3 at Bellsdale.

Likewise in the same period Maryhill at a similar price beat us 0-1 in the Scottish cup at Bellsdale and that was two big shocks that we were on the receiving end of despite being good enough to win the west of Scotland cup and super premier division back to back 2008/2009 & 2009 /2010 respectively.

It's football and it happens at all levels ; wishaw took talbots scalp in the west of Scotland recently ,thorniewood took our scalp in our defence of the west and darvel have now taken troons scalp ; as long as football exists these results will continue and it's more important how you react to them .

From what I can gather from this thread, it appears that Troon and those connected with club have lost graciously and spoke well of Darvel however there are those who are still intent on rubbing Troon's nose in it.

There is such a thing is being a bad winner too!!

Before Darvel people take offence I realise it's a minority.

From what I can gather from this thread, it appears that Troon and those connected with club have lost graciously and spoke well of Darvel however there are those who are still intent on rubbing Troon's nose in it.

There is such a thing is being a bad winner too!!

Before Darvel people take offence I realise it's a minority.

Exactly and not a single troon player /ex manager / fan / owner etc has came on here and been anything other than class in defeat .

Maybe darvel people need to take a wee bit from the class shown by troon people in defeat as maybe just maybe darvel's defeat could be coming quite soon.

Enjoy the moment but as said bad winners can be as bad if not worse than bad losers.

And Chelsea wouldn't have won the league , man city, PSG etc. Need I go on ?????

That's football now mate they brought money yes but knowing them I can also tell you they brought a work ethic and drive that was every bit as important.

Archived