New Zealand

HEED

Hi everyone, my first foray into this forum.

I'm off to New Zealand on Friday for 3 1/2 weeks with the wife and my 18 month boy.

And advice/tips on travelling with a toddler?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having flown back from NZ yesterday/today all I can say is people who travel with toddlers on flights lasting up to 13 hours are sub human scum who deserve to be ejected over the Ocean without a parachute.

...or see if you can get one of the seats facing the back of the toilets of the steward area so that you can get one of the cots that hangs from the wall to place the toddler in - my flight from Auckland to KL yesterday got a lot better after the toddler was put into the cot.

Having flown back from NZ yesterday/today all I can say is people who travel with toddlers on flights lasting up to 13 hours are sub human scum who deserve to be ejected over the Ocean without a parachute.

...or see if you can get one of the seats facing the back of the toilets of the steward area so that you can get one of the cots that hangs from the wall to place the toddler in - my flight from Auckland to KL yesterday got a lot better after the toddler was put into the cot.

Got the bassinet seats booked already so that problem will hopefully be eradicated.

I lived down there for just under 5 years, DB Cooper still lives down there and one of the East Fife posters is working in the North Shore.

What do you want to know?

I've got all our activities etc booked, it's more travelling tips when you have a toddler along with you.

I just got back yesterday, Auckland was approximately 'baw deep' in rain water.

It utterly pissed it down Friday and Saturday but it wasnt too bad in terms of flooding - them having a proper drainage system means that everything was still running as the water vanished very quickly. Did mean the cancellation of my walk round the outside of the top of the Skytower though :(

It utterly pissed it down Friday and Saturday but it wasnt too bad in terms of flooding - them having a proper drainage system means that everything was still running as the water vanished very quickly. Did mean the cancellation of my walk round the outside of the top of the Skytower though :(

Same weather front is now hear in Sydney, which does not have a proper drainage system. This has led to messages everywhere with the catchy title 'If its flooded, forget it!'

I'm doing a 3 week trip around the South Island of NZ in June (cold I know). Hiring a campervan in Christchurch and finishing in Christchurch. Tekapo springs is the one thing I've been recommended thus far, anyone else got anything they can suggest?

As I discovered last Wednesday somewhere outside of Hamilton, prostitution is legal in New Zealand :unsure2::unsure2: So that always gives you something extra to do.

I was there this time 3 years ago - amazing place and the best time of year to visit. Was on one of these hop on hop off busses which was a bit of a risk but ended up being one of the best things we did when travelling. Had planned hiring a camper van but they required a hefty deposit which was a bit daunting, plus the bus helped us meet lots of people and the pressure was off so could get pretty steaming.

Queenstown was probably my favourite place and excellent if you are into activities. Wellington was a lovely city, i thought Auckland was alright but nothing special. Franz Joseph and mount cook were also amazing visits.

I'm doing a 3 week trip around the South Island of NZ in June (cold I know). Hiring a campervan in Christchurch and finishing in Christchurch. Tekapo springs is the one thing I've been recommended thus far, anyone else got anything they can suggest?

Shitloads. Kaikoura, Queenstown, Dunedin etc...

I wouldnt recommend spending much time in Christchurch either but I'm sure you will find that out soon enough. I would aim for a couple of action packed days in Queenstown including the Nevis bungy and going up and down on the ski lifts and the Luge at the top of the hill. Went mountain biking down the hill then got the lifts back up for the best part of a day, it was a fantastic day in a trip of a lifetime.

I wouldnt recommend spending much time in Christchurch either but I'm sure you will find that out soon enough. I would aim for a couple of action packed days in Queenstown including the Nevis bungy and going up and down on the ski lifts and the Luge at the top of the hill. Went mountain biking down the hill then got the lifts back up for the best part of a day, it was a fantastic day in a trip of a lifetime.

An absolute must. You can hire a full suspension bike(you'll need it} and all the protective gear from various shops on the way to the cable car. Just take it easy on your first run down as there a few real tricky jumps at the end of a fast section which could have you lying in a heap.

hired a Motorbike from Brightwater(near Nelson) and went down the west coast through Fox's Glacier. Stunning country with lots to do. Agree about Christchurch, arrived on a Sunday and really struggled to find any where open. The monument to the earthquake and the container area were poignant and interesting but think you would struggle to find much to do for more than a day.

People who i knew from there said there wasn't much doing in Christchurch anyway, it was interesting to see something like a zombie film though but also quite sad.

Liked Wanaka on the South Island as well, very cool place to visit.

I'm in Auckland on the North Island but have done a little bit of the South. I prefer the South, less people and a lot slower pace of life I feel.

I wasn't a fan of Christchurch, not really much happening after the earthquake, it's a very sad looking city. The city is crying out for investment though and they need tourists to come in.

Queenstown is a beautiful place, I've been twice. Once in summer and once in winter. It doesn't really matter when you visit it's a cracking wee place. Check out Arrowtown and Wanaka too. Milford Sound is well worth a visit, it's a bit of a trek to get too but certainly worth the drive.

I'm heading to Nelson in April and going to take in the Abel Tasman when I'm there.

Are you doing the North Island too? I'm hiking the Tongariro Crossing next weekend for my birthday.

You will love NZ, it's an amazing place, I've been here 1.5 years now and love it. Summer is a bit late in starting yet but it's on it's way...

Archived