Third Lanark

Wilky1878

Because Third Lanark remains a name everybody knows before you even spend a single penny of marketing any on a new football club.

You've a far better chance with a revived Hi-Hi at Cathkin being a long term success than just about any non-league side in Glasgow or its surrounding environs, and for that matter a number of existing SPFL sides. That's not to denigrate those other clubs, merely a statement of hard fact: why else do Toffs only sell 24 Scottish club shirts, one of which last kicked a ball in anger in a Senior league 49 years ago?

As the Americans discovered when they tried to stop Seattle's franchise being Seattle Sounders, Portland's being the Timbers, Vancouver's being the Whitecaps and stopping New York Cosmos returning altogether, all the money in the world cannot buy the emotive side of football where well-loved clubs that died decades before still command enough loyalty from later generations who will cheer their return, but not a new club from scratch no matter how flash the ground or players proffered. And they're the ones needed to part with their cash week after week to make any such plan viable in the long term.

Aye right

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should set it up as a radical/leftist club. Reach out to the local communities in govan hill, gorbals but also to immigrants, trade unions, anti fascists etc. Could be known as Third L'anarchy.

FC 3. Lokomotiv Lanark, CSKA Cambuslang, Red Star Bishopbriggs, Partizan Rutherglen

ETA: Dinamo Dalmarnock

As much as I'm sceptical about this, I would like to see it happen and not for the romantic reasons.

With respect to BSC and the Lowland League as it is at the moment, it needs a greater Glasgow presence.

I'm a floating fan myself and would happily go along to a Glasgow side at that level but BSC are a glorified sports club. I can't help but be envious when I look to the east coast and see properly committed and ambitious, albeit small, clubs like Spartans, Edinburgh City and Whitehill Welfare all close at hand.

What do we have at this end? East Kilbride, yes, but a real Glasgow club would be a great asset. It's the same reason I hope Clydebank get a ground sorted and their act together and they can look at Lowland League membership.

As much as I'm sceptical about this, I would like to see it happen and not for the romantic reasons.

With respect to BSC and the Lowland League as it is at the moment, it needs a greater Glasgow presence.

I'm a floating fan myself and would happily go along to a Glasgow side at that level but BSC are a glorified sports club. I can't help but be envious when I look to the east coast and see properly committed and ambitious, albeit small, clubs like Spartans, Edinburgh City and Whitehill Welfare all close at hand.

What do we have at this end? East Kilbride, yes, but a real Glasgow club would be a great asset. It's the same reason I hope Clydebank get a ground sorted and their act together and they can look at Lowland League membership.

So are you saying BSC aren't properly committed or ambitious??

They're a glorified children's sports club with no ground and no support.

If they'd promoted themselves as a club for the Broomhill-Whiteinch-Partick-Scotstoun area and played there I'd have no problem with it. In fact I'd be all for them, being that I live there.

As it is they're a poor comparison to the calibre of the Eastern Lowland League clubs.

They're a glorified children's sports club with no ground and no support.

If they'd promoted themselves as a club for the Broomhill-Whiteinch-Partick-Scotstoun area and played there I'd have no problem with it. In fact I'd be all for them, being that I live there.

As it is they're a poor comparison to the calibre of the Eastern Lowland League clubs.

Interesting view. Where in Broomhill or the other areas you mentioned do you suggest they play?? I would hardly think Maryhill are a million miles away from there, would you?? How many of the East Lowland League clubs you mentioned own their own ground?? Whitehill??

Yours is a view that seems stuck in the past. Why can't "new" clubs try and start something positive??

They absolutely can, that was the point of my first post in this thread but to me - and I don't want my harsh comments to be taken personally by the people at BSC who no doubt work very hard - clubs with the origins of BSC being in the Lowland League with their restricted potential is emblematic of how rushed and flung together the whole tier was and is now I irreversible.

If you know more of the club than me and what their ambitions are, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I have no issue with the playing at Lochburn Park in the interim while they find their feet and get a ground to play at in their eponymous location but if not and they plan to play in Maryhill long term, I fear it confirms my point - they won't be a draw to anyone in the areas mentioned above ahead of Partick Thistle or Maryhill or Yoker for example.

And I'd like to think that the city or wider area could offer more to the League than that. For the league's sake and as an alternative to the SPFL clubs in Glasgow and the Junior offerings.

They absolutely can, that was the point of my first post in this thread but to me - and I don't want my harsh comments to be taken personally by the people at BSC who no doubt work very hard - clubs with the origins of BSC being in the Lowland League with their restricted potential is emblematic of how rushed and flung together the whole tier was and is now I irreversible.

If you know more of the club than me and what their ambitions are, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I have no issue with the playing at Lochburn Park in the interim while they find their feet and get a ground to play at in their eponymous location but if not and they plan to play in Maryhill long term, I fear it confirms my point - they won't be a draw to anyone in the areas mentioned above ahead of Partick Thistle or Maryhill or Yoker for example.

And I'd like to think that the city or wider area could offer more to the League than that. For the league's sake and as an alternative to the SPFL clubs in Glasgow and the Junior offerings.

I don't agree with you on your restricted potential point, however that's what forums are about.

You are correct, there is a tremendous amount of hard work and effort in trying to take the club forward but everything takes time. Mistakes made now can have enormous implications for the hopes and ambitions of the club, so everything will be done with that in mind.

Hopefully you are proven wrong in the future! ????

Third Lanark - 1872. FC 3 - 2017.

FC 3; Roots, Soul, Love.

Roots in the SouthSide of Glasgow.

Soul as old as football itself.

Love, a club for all who love football, love equality, love freedom.

Do the Broomhill Ultras hang about outside the Wee Lochan restaurant?

They're a glorified children's sports club

One man's glorified children's sports club is another man's club with an enviable youth policy. Criticism of them for now providing a full range of age groups up to "senior" is pretty churlish.

It would, however, be good if they could find a home ground a bit nearer to Broomhill. Pity they couldn't come to some sort of agreement with one of the many rugby clubs up there, or even Scotstoun.

Archived