Third Lanark

Wilky1878

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the pitch is one thing, starting to build pavilion/stand/terracing/enclosing a public park is another.

The question the city council will ask is, let's see your money.

As that wee Scottish Canadian with the bunnet said, it's not about money, it's about a lot of money.

I've asked our board and they've already spoken to the council about this. JJA don't have a 25 year lease. They have a monthly let. We tried to discuss a proposal with them but they were clear this wouldn't happen. We don't want to merge clubs with them at allc just find a way to ensure they can still play there. We are happy to talk to all clubs that have lets etc to see what we can do.

As I say, we're pretty far down the line with the council. Given what i've said above about what they've asked us to produce, i'd be very surprised if they've missed something like a long term let.

All we can do now is wait.

Actually, theres no official link between the club and the business side. The business side own the rights to the Thirds badge and more.

My team is run as an amateur team still and the boys all pay monthly fees etc

Can't be arsed reading back through this thread but didn't somebody say there has been various reincarnations of Third Lanark.

Certainly a very apt story at Easter.

Third Lanark has died, Third Lanark will live again.

On the third century they rose again.

Theres been a few.

Since 2008 its been the same. Different board members in and out but Pat and Matt still here from 2008.

I'll post in this thread with any updates I get.

Thanks for the interest.....

2 minutes ago, Ampie said:

Actually, theres no official link between the club and the business side. The business side own the rights to the Thirds badge and more.

My team is run as an amateur team still and the boys all pay monthly fees etc

A bit like a group of business men in Wesr Belfast that own the rights to the Belfast Celtic name.

21 hours ago, Glenconner said:

A bit like a group of business men in Wesr Belfast that own the rights to the Belfast Celtic name.

The important difference being that the Thirds guys seem to be trying to resurrect the club.  

I hope that the club do re-emerge, perhaps even at Junior level, which would be an excellent starting point.  As for receiving funding from the Council....I have my doubts that today's economic situation would allow that.  Plus there are excellent facilities at Toryglen and Holyrood, both within bottle throwing distance of Cathkin.  It doesn't bode well either, that the JJA and Thirds aren't getting on.  

The terracing in the areas containing trees is pretty much non-existent now. And behind that is a well trodden path which may be a public right of way. I'm not sure how sealing all that off would be achievable.

If it is a serious proposal and progresses to an advanced stage would it be remiss of someone to suggest a joint venture with Clyde?

Archived