Ayr in freefall

You really think you'll beat us by 3 or 4. The pars struggled to beat us by 1. They were worth the win but just. They got a draw at our place, we humped your mob.

Looking forward to your reasoning.

Always optimistic

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really think you'll beat us by 3 or 4. The pars struggled to beat us by 1. They were worth the win but just. They got a draw at our place, we humped your mob.

Normal service being resumed. Another 5

Yet you'd give one player £1500 a week? Even if just for a month that's money that could be used better surely?

Can I see official conformation of this or are we just going by speculation and gossip?

If it was an attempt to sell half season tickets by bringing in a name.....it failed, But Cameron has never splashed cash at the right time to go after a title or even safety from relegation so I doubt he would do it now.

Can I see official conformation of this or are we just going by speculation and gossip?

If it was an attempt to sell half season tickets by bringing in a name.....it failed, But Cameron has never splashed cash at the right time to go after a title or even safety from relegation so I doubt he would do it now.

It was a couple of Ayr fans that first brought it up.Seems a strange thing to make up.

Don't think there's ever been confirmation of our wage structure but it's often mentioned on here without any facts...

It was a couple of Ayr fans that first brought it up.Seems a strange thing to make up.

Don't think there's ever been confirmation of our wage structure but it's often mentioned on here without any facts...

Dunfermline are full time, so unless the players are being paid below minimum wage (which would be illegal) to turn out it would be factually accurate to say that as the only full time team in the league they have the largest wage budget.

The facts you, I and probably everyone else on here know about Stevensons situation are that he is on loan at Ayr from Partick Thistle for 28 days

I'm always concerned,

Cowden at home - win (with a full squad could be 3 or 4)

Rovers away - sneaky win for Ayr if we play our earlier football

Stenny - win

Peterhead at home - another sneaky win

Pars away - at the risk of causing a P&B meltdown amongst Pars fans I'll say an Ayr win

Is there a game between now and the end of the season that you don;t believe Ayr will win or are they about to embark on an unprecedented 16 game winning run?

You could argue they've been unlucky, but it seems to me McCall made a decision to go for quality over quantity at the start of the season. With that there is the risk (almost inevitability) that a few of them will get injured/suspended and you'll be short of players. Jamie Adams' injury record is horrendous, while it may be unlucky it is certainly not unexpected that he is out. Docherty has had his career affected by injuries too, and although Forrest is fit just now he seems to be made of chocolate. If he'd gone for a different approach to building the squad, paid lower wages but brought in more depth these injuries wouldn't have such an effect, although obviously the good run of results beforehand wouldn't have happened either, so it's balancing act.

We are an example of the opposite approach this season, signed loads of players so have a big squad, but have no actual first 11 that is any good. Somewhere in the middle is probably the correct approach, or doing what Ayr did but having good youngsters to fill the squad out, but it seems they don't have any.

Agree with this. We went for the scattergun, big squad approach last year (didn't work). Ayr, with everyone fit, looked to be the best 'footballing' side but were still well behind us in goal difference as AJ has a system that can cope with injuries/poor form. Our defenders are all pretty flexible in terms of where they can play, the midfielders are not asked to do anything fancy and we've six guys who can play pretty much anywhere in our front four positions.

We've a smaller squad on a smaller budget this year yet have surpassed last season's tally of points and goals already.

'Struggled.' Chortle.

Ayr's biggest problem seems to be the people running the club/owner/chairman whoever is in control of the finances , as stated before Ayr with their catchment area and potential large support should be a Championship club pushing towards the play - offs, but for the past few seasons they have not properly invested in the right sort of players , I felt that the season when Rangers were in our league Ayr should have used the Rangers money to really push to get promoted that year as they would have been in the Championship with Rangers and Hearts and more money coming in .

I know they own land around the stadium with rumours for years about possible deals re housing developments etc etc , but nothing has happened , if they wait much longer I feel that any chance of getting out the mess they are in could disappear , for the future of the club they must invest and get promoted they also require money spent on the stadium , but if Ayr were to become a successful club the fans would flock back and the potential is there to maintain a Championship club.

The current situation seems to be that they believe they can somehow get promoted without investment , and although a great start to this season there are many decent clubs in this division like Stranraer that have started very poorly and when / If these clubs start putting some form together Ayr will find it much harder and could possibly slip out of the playoffs , you see what can happen when a few players are missing , second in the league but lost your last 5 games or so, I don't think Ayr have the depth in their squad and don't seem to have a proper youth set up where good young players are not getting a chance .

I think your current league position has papered over the many cracks in your club and now is the time something needs to be done but the owners will be getting a break from the fans at the moment , even supposing you hold on to a play off spot , there is absolutely no guarantee that Ayr could beat Peterhead, Airdrie, Cowdenbeath or Stranraer in a two leg tie .

So much lost potential that must be realised before your going to get out of this league...great wee club very poorly run....

I agree it's not being run to its potential. But essentially you've just admitted that ayr need some substantial investment?

Where exactly does that come from? Our owner has been looking to sell for years but noone (other than a bawbag or two) wants to buy.

Surely this kind of investment is what the majority of clubs in Scotland want?

Is there a game between now and the end of the season that you don;t believe Ayr will win or are they about to embark on an unprecedented 16 game winning run?

Will probably lose one of the games against you and I think we will draw or possibly lose going away to Peterhead. With a full squad though we are capable of beating the majority of teams in the league.

Will probably lose one of the games against you and I think we will draw or possibly lose going away to Peterhead. With a full squad though we are capable of beating the majority of teams in the league.

The same can be said for the Ayr, us and Peterhead though.

I'm asking if you think they will win every game aside from one against us and away to Peterhead?

The same can be said for the Ayr, us and Peterhead though.

I'm asking if you think they will win every game aside from one against us and away to Peterhead?

No I don't. Ayr will probably have more injury problems as well from now till the end of the season with Adams and Moore being the biggest worry. Even when we were playing well we still got crap draws at home against the likes of Forfar. If Ayr happen to have a bad day then any team could come to Somerset and have a chance to get a point or three.

I agree it's not being run to its potential. But essentially you've just admitted that ayr need some substantial investment?

Where exactly does that come from? Our owner has been looking to sell for years but noone (other than a bawbag or two) wants to buy.

Surely this kind of investment is what the majority of clubs in Scotland want?

I think it's more that when money is available it is squandered quickly, at the wrong time, or on the wrong things (the signing of Stevenson is a perfect example of all three), you have a chairman who seemingly didn't see the need to find cover for your physio being ill, which has clearly cost you.

I think what he's saying is that if what little money you did have available was spent wisely, either in the playing squad or put into the club's infrastructure that you would be an established Championship side (where Ayr should be imo), with a lot more money available. Speculate to accumulate and all that jazz, within your means of course.

No I don't. Ayr will probably have more injury problems as well from now till the end of the season with Adams and Moore being the biggest worry. Even when we were playing well we still got crap draws at home against the likes of Forfar. If Ayr happen to have a bad day then any team could come to Somerset and have a chance to get a point or three.

So do you think that they will win their next 5 games?

Archived