Dry January?

FlyerTon

Give up booze for January?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, throbber said:

It is possible to go a period without drinking without announcing it to the world.

You've probably never gone half an hour without tipping a can of cooking lager into your stinking gullet.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

A few more hours and I'm done for this year. Have some vodka chilling in the freezer ready for tomorrow night.

For me, the doing without alcohol part is easy enough. It's finding something else to drink instead that I find challenging. I can't be doing with the sugar in most soft drinks, I tend to avoid caffeine later in the day because I'm old and plain water gets boring.

What do other non-drinkers imbibe?

Ive been on non alcoholic beer since around August I think it is. Nae bother. 

6 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Ive been on non alcoholic beer since around August I think it is. Nae bother. 

Mmm. I've tried a few and not been a fan. Just as there are alcoholic beers I don't care for and therefore, don't drink; whenever I've tried a N.A. beer, I'm still thinking "This is OK, but I'd much rather be drinking something I enjoy."

I know it isn't for everyone, but I 'do' like the current vogue of hoppy beer.  Do you have any recommendations for non-alcoholic beers that might fit the bill?

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

Mmm. I've tried a few and not been a fan. Just as there are alcoholic beers I don't care for and therefore, don't drink; whenever I've tried a N.A. beer, I'm still thinking "This is OK, but I'd much rather be drinking something I enjoy."

I know it isn't for everyone, but I 'do' like the current vogue of hoppy beer.  Do you have any recommendations?

See the source image

23 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I know it isn't for everyone, but I 'do' like the current vogue of hoppy beer.  Do you have any recommendations for non-alcoholic beers that might fit the bill?

Not sure on hoppy ones. I tried quite a few different beers before settling on Bavaria. Heineken also not too bad. 

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

My dry January consisted of dry white and red wine plus extra dry champagne and cava. The wife had dry gin with tonic and  dry sherry.

You need to consult a cocktail recipe book, both sound revolting. 

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You need to consult a cocktail recipe book, both sound revolting. 

I'm sure that an intelligent man like you would have understood that the dry wines, champagne, cava, gin and sherry were drank separately. 

Living in Inverness,  perhaps you make some odd cocktails when the weather is bad.

I strongly recommend Juve & Camps cava - if you can get it. Avoid cheap prosecco - full of chemicals and often made outside Italy. ;)

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

I'm sure that an intelligent man like you would have understood that the dry wines, champagne, cava, gin and sherry were drank separately. 

Living in Inverness,  perhaps you make some odd cocktails when the weather is bad.

I strongly recommend Juve & Camps cava - if you can get it. Avoid cheap prosecco - full of chemicals and often made outside Italy. ;)

Always Clach, f**k the Caley; always Cava, f**k Prosecco. Otherwise a Rusty Nail.

Archived