Sunday Football

theweepieman

Not sure what numbers turned up today, there is no doubt that the weather would have put some neutrals off. I realise that it was the teams that wanted the games today.

What is the general feeling for games on a Sunday? IMO I am old fashioned and prefer to see the games on Sat afternoon!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't mind seeing a Sunday used for example a pitch is unplayable on a Saturday but could be fine for the Sunday which has happened a few times sometimes the extra 24hrs helps

Good idea in theory but I'm sure clubs wouldn't like the hassle of its off Saturday but could be on tomorrow....then come Sunday it's still off.

I think that one game from each league scheduled for a Sunday afternoon would be a good thing. You could alternate the Sunday game between Ayrshire and Glasgow each week. If a game was on a Sunday I for one would probably go to my own team game on a Saturday then as a neutral on a Sunday.

We are always looking for ways to increase the crowds at junior games and I think this may be a way to help all teams increase their attendances

If I was darvel I'd be trying a Sunday for the Troon game , all other junior cup ties on in the area on Saturday and I'm sure a lot would like a junior cup game on the Sunday to watch as well , mind you I heard at Ayr races on Saturday Troon have asked darvel to change it to their park ?? Why ? Do Troon get 2000 at their games now ? If true seems a strange request from them

I think that one game from each league scheduled for a Sunday afternoon would be a good thing. You could alternate the Sunday game between Ayrshire and Glasgow each week. If a game was on a Sunday I for one would probably go to my own team game on a Saturday then as a neutral on a Sunday.

We are always looking for ways to increase the crowds at junior games and I think this may be a way to help all teams increase their attendances

great idea

This is a brilliant idea ....... So it will never happen.

I also think it's a great idea, but is there not something in players' contracts which stipulates that they don't have to play on a Sunday ?

dont think so,but some clubs are against it

Which is interesting, as the Scottish Junior Cup Final is usually on a Sunday. Could a team object and ask for it to be changed if it affected their player availability ?

Basically, no. Players can refuse to play but SJFA can force clubs to play latter stage cup ties regardless. There have been a few high profile dissenters to Senior football on a Sunday for religious reasons - Brian Irvine is one that sticks in the mind. County chairman Roy MacGregor another.

Clubs and Players rule 6:

It shall be permissible for clubs to play matches on Sundays during the playing season as may be arranged by the Association or Regions or at the request of clubs if such request is considered by the Association or Region to be reasonable but in any match arranged to be played on a Sunday both clubs must be agreeable to so play, and there shall be no compulsion on a player or official to take part in a match on a Sunday.

In any match so arranged and agreed to be played on a Sunday, a club can only play its own registered players or, in matches for which registration in not necessary, players of clubs from the Scottish Youth F.A., Scottish Welfare F.A. and Scottish Amateur F.A. In the latter case, their terms of agreement between this Association and minor associations must be complied with. It is not permissible to play on a Sunday as trialist players, any players attached to any club in any grade of football other than those mentioned.

Cup Competition Rule 28

If required by Management Committee, clubs will play ScottishJunior Cup Semi Final and Final ties on a Sunday.

Archived