Deutschland 83

Waspy

On 03/03/2021 at 18:55, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've just watched the first couple of episodes of The Same Sky. It's a decent watch. It's a bit more serious and not quite as "hip" as Deutschland 83 but it is well acted and made.

I've just finished The Same Sky. Well worth watching it you're into cold war/Berlin wall stuff.

It's pretty uncomfortable viewing at times. There's a really nasty undertone running right through it. Unlike Deutschland 83, there's very little humour. There are a few football references though as it's set against a backdrop of the 1974 world cup. The Scotland v Zaire game is seen on a TV screen at one point and Bertie Vogts is mentioned when some of the characters are watching the East V West Germany game.

I'm kinda disappointed that there were only 6 episodes but I'll get my fatherland fix when Deutschland 89 starts tonight.

15 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've just finished 89.

It was pretty good. A decent blend of mindless violence and off the wall humour.

I'm kinda disappointed that I'll never see these characters again.

I’m going to watch it Friday to Friday, something to look forward to with a few beers. Like you say the characters are excellent. I’ll probably end up watching 83 again after it’s all finished.

On to the last episode of 86, and fully agree with everyone's comments about it being slower.

My wife has said she's done with it after this finale but I'm looking forward to 89 just for the wall coming down. That was a mental time in history, and in many ways it comes about out the blue (because some boi was in the pisser and tried to blag his way through a press conference).

So, how has 89 been for those watching it?

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

On to the last episode of 86, and fully agree with everyone's comments about it being slower.

My wife has said she's done with it after this finale but I'm looking forward to 89 just for the wall coming down. That was a mental time in history, and in many ways it comes about out the blue (because some boi was in the pisser and tried to blag his way through a press conference).

So, how has 89 been for those watching it?

I enjoyed 89. It was better than 86 but not as good as 83 IMO.

On 16/03/2021 at 08:59, Shandon Par Decorator said:

‘89 worth watching for Max’s teacher. 

Only watched the first episode thus far but, given she is clearly wetter than Whitney Houston's last joint for the bold Martin I'm going to assume he is going to see out the Cold War in the manner he spent most of it by burying his Bratwurst in the fràulein?

• 4 months later...
On 10/03/2021 at 01:08, tongue_tied_danny said:

...I'm kinda disappointed that I'll never see these characters again.

Finally got around to a binge viewing session of 89 via vimeo this weekend. Really not sure this is the last season we will see of this series. The ending that I won't spoil was hinting quite heavily at the possibility of a future return IMO and there was also a deliberate echo of the Edel household cliffhanger from 83. Found the start of 89 even more difficult to get through than 86 but eventually it picked up steam again. Like 86 some portions come across as too far-fetched to take seriously so not as good as 83 in terms of building tension. Fairly obvious also that one character in particular was shoehorned in because one of the main original cast was wanting too much money or busy elsewhere with another project. Fortunately that wasn't the actor that played Walter Schweppenstette.

• 1 year later...

Just absolutely binged 83,86 and 89 over a few nights. I had watched 83 when it first came out and some of 86 (again when it came out) but lost a bit of interest for one reason or other. That trip to Berlin I had last week, reignited my interest to watch. So glad I did. Bloody brilliant. 

Edited by Wardy