Deutschland 83

Waspy

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

IMG_1613080103.781377.jpg

Walter Presents is bringing the third and final series of 'Deutschland', titled 'Deutschland 89' to More4 in March!!!
The series will air weekly at 9pm from 5th March and the full boxset will be made available on All 4 after the transmission of the first episode!!!

13 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Not sure if still on Walter Presents but The Same Sky iis a decent watch and feels like a companion show to Deutschland..

I'll have a look for that. I'm a sucker for cold war & Berlin stuff.

I loved "83" but  sadly I didn't get past the first few episodes of "86". I'll  give it another go before the latest series appears.

I much prefer Babylon Berlin though. That is simply stunning...

20 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'll have a look for that. I'm a sucker for cold war & Berlin stuff.

I loved "83" but  sadly I didn't get past the first few episodes of "86". I'll  give it another go before the latest series appears.

I was the same, loved 83 as it felt proper Cold War - but struggled a bit with 86 and dropped it after a few episodes (think they were in the Sahara desert when I last saw it).  Would be interested to know from anyone that stuck with it, if it's worth revisiting? 

I usually love this stuff too - and watched the wonderful Das Leben der Anderen again last weekend.  Will give Babylon Berlin a go too.

14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I was the same, loved 83 as it felt proper Cold War - but struggled a bit with 86 and dropped it after a few episodes (think they were in the Sahara desert when I last saw it).  Would be interested to know from anyone that stuck with it, if it's worth revisiting? 

I usually love this stuff too - and watched the wonderful Das Leben der Anderen again last weekend.  Will give Babylon Berlin a go too.

Babylon Berlin is superb.

It follows a burnt out cop in the Weimar era, with all the drugs and decadence of that era.

It's really engaging, with good characters and more than a few over the top, slightly ridiculous, set pieces. 

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered yesterday the only way to get Deutschland 89 in Canada is to subscribe to Super Ecran channel, which would most likely mean watching a show in German with French subtitles, though I haven't even started 86 yet so hopefully that changes when I'm done with it.

For people like me who also love all Cold War era stuff I recommend this podcast, there is a decent episode about the strange world of football in East Germany, same with Romania 

https://coldwarconversations.com/ 

7 minutes ago, stu20vt said:

Stick with Deutschland 86 it does get better. Deutschland 83 was fantastic hard to beat.

Regarding Babylon Berlin where can I see it from season 1? 

Sky Atlantic showed it but I don't know if it's on Netflix. It is on Google play.

Here's a trailer to whet your appetite...

6 hours ago, stu20vt said:

Stick with Deutschland 86 it does get better. Deutschland 83 was fantastic hard to beat.

Regarding Babylon Berlin where can I see it from season 1? 

I took your advice and I just up to the end of episode 5. It's really starting to pick up now. I should have the rest of the season finished in the next few days.

7 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I took your advice and I just up to the end of episode 5. It's really starting to pick up now. I should have the rest of the season finished in the next few days.

Good stuff it continues to get better. Still prefer D83 but this is still a good watch. Looking forward to 89 next month.

17 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just finished 86. As has been said, the first few episodes when he's pissing about in Africa were as dull as dishwater but it gets much better when he gets back to Europe. I'm glad that I went back and gave it another go...

Glad to hear he goes back to Europe eventually, I really can't stand Afrikaners. 

If you'll allow me to go off topic a little, with a renewed interest in all things East Germany I remember hearing bits of a story when I was growing up about a relative escaping the DDR to West Germany, my grandmother is from near Hannover but had relatives in the East. So I asked my Aunt about it yesterday, her cousin Heinz was a DDR Border Guard, he escaped to the West, he came back voluntarily in the late 70s as he missed his family, and immediately was taken to Hohenschönhausen, spent a few years there as well as a prison near Dresden. He was released early among 1000 political prisoners when Willy Brandt visited the East. He apparently committed suicide a few years before the wall came down, though there is some suspicion that may not have been the case. His Stasi file is 1000 pages thick.

Anyway, I look forward to finishing 86 and hopefully finding a way to watch 89 soon. 

18 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just finished 86. As has been said, the first few episodes when he's pissing about in Africa were as dull as dishwater but it gets much better when he gets back to Europe. I'm glad that I went back and gave it another go...

First few episodes were very poor, I almost gave up, but eventually improves. Hope the final series is as good as the first.

On 12/02/2021 at 17:21, Shandon Par Decorator said:

Not sure if still on Walter Presents but The Same Sky iis a decent watch and feels like a companion show to Deutschland..

I've just watched the first couple of episodes of The Same Sky. It's a decent watch. It's a bit more serious and not quite as "hip" as Deutschland 83 but it is well acted and made.

7 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Think I managed about 3 episodes of Deutschland 86 and chucked it.... was pretty poor all that pissing about in Africa but may have another look given the feedback on here, what platform is it available on?

I've been watching it on Channel Four's app. It's free but they show a really shite Arnold Clark advert every five minutes.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Think I managed about 3 episodes of Deutschland 86 and chucked it.... was pretty poor all that pissing about in Africa but may have another look given the feedback on here, what platform is it available on?

It gets better again after it moves back mainly to Berlin but definitely not as good as 83. The West German characters from the first series feel a bit shoehorned in but the antics of Schweppenstette are still a good laugh throughout on the DDR side of things.