Good News - Crowds are Still Rising

The only people at Firhill who didn't know our crowds would increase this season would appear to be the board.

It was obvious given our spread of home games this season compared to last. For varying reasons certain teams carry large away supports and are more attractive fixtures than others. If you get more of these cross will increase.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for my six-monthly stat attack, and the good news on attendances seems to be continuing, with 'Armageddon' and 'slow lingering death' still no-shows. Taking the usual measure of clubs to have played in the top tier in the last 5 seasons virtually everyone is up or stable so far this time.

If you take us out of the sums isn't the average this YTD lower than for last season?

Erm, no... Your crowds are up 11,516 and overall crowds across the 16 stated clubs are up 12,063 (and as noted that is missing Dundee v Celtic and St Johnstone v Aberdeen in particular). That's a pretty crude measure anyway, tbf.

Before the New Year derbies Premiership was up 8.1%, Championship up 3.1%, SPFL1 down 3.5%, SPFL2 up 3.4%.

Good thread but slowly degrading into my willy is bigger than your willy debate

^^^^ Wee Willie Lambie. :lol:

HJ does very well with these things but any thread about attendances and the concurrent implications always end badly.

Dunfermline is a better day out. The fans aren't as cretinous either.

Anytime I've been to Tynecastle we've been pumped.

It's a good job you've got a nice stadium situated close to many pubs otherwise the days would've been a waste.

Thread makes for promising reading, everytime that a bit of news comes out that makes a mockery of the whole armageddon nonsense I get a warm feeling.

everytime that a bit of news comes out that makes a mockery of the whole armageddon nonsense I get a warm feeling.

The Armageddon comment was always shite and I depracte the fact that it's commonly seen as a Rangers thing when it isn't.

The other cheek to the Armageddon arse is the diddies claiming everything is better when it clearly isn't.

The Armageddon comment was always shite and I depracte the fact that it's commonly seen as a Rangers thing when it isn't.

The other cheek to the Armageddon arse is the diddies claiming everything is better when it clearly isn't.

Not better; just not markedly worse, as predicted in the dishonest 'Armageddon' narrative promoted by the Rangers favouring authorities.

Armageddon was a Rangers thing. You'd have been hard pressed to find a Rangers fan without the "sink us and we'll sink you" mentality and predicted which team would go bust first without the "blue pound" which seeped into the tabloid mouthpieces. I reckon Regan was just pandering to Rangers fans when he came out with it tbh.

I also agree not everything is better but attendance's in Scottish football is up which is good. Will be interesting to see what attendances will be like with yous back up.

Eh I think it's alarming for like of Kilmarnock, Motherwell and United actually. Killie have lost an average of 1500 home fans in the last 4-5 years. The teams been average for a while but I bet if you look a few more years back toward the year 2000 they had 6-8,000 attending Rugby Park and more back in the 80s and 90s. I wouldn't be happy if I was the board.

Also strange is County. I didn't even realize 4-5,000 people lived in that region. I am very skeptical of that stat. Higher than one city teams like ICT and St Johnstone? Doubt it. They love to tweak stats up there.

There are positives with other teams that are growing attendances. As a Jags fan with last years 2nd year SPFL downturn in our attendances. Also nice to see fuller attendances at Hearts and healthy gates at Aberdeen as the Dons should be selling out every match due to the captive audience they have in North East. It's sad that Aberdeen have struggled to attract new supporters. But numbers this and last year are more encouraging.

Aberdeen don't have a captive audience. It's not stuck behind the Berlin Wall with no access to western TV and media.

Not better; just not markedly worse, as predicted in the dishonest 'Armageddon' narrative promoted by the Rangers favouring authorities.

It is better. Most clubs are getting more home fans to games while also having a more competitive environment, and every club has a chance of trophies/Europe in the top flight now

Only reason you cant see that is because you spend every waking hour mewling about Rangers to the point where you're now so far up their arse you're sounding like them. Just like every other absolute tragedy that spends their time in the BRALT.

Also strange is County. I didn't even realize 4-5,000 people lived in that region. I am very skeptical of that stat. Higher than one city teams like ICT and St Johnstone? Doubt it. They love to tweak stats up there.

I too find this highly suspicious. I'm not going to bother looking into it, but I would personally estimate that no more than around 8,000 people in total live in the tiny little area (probably about 50 miles total distance) between Perth and the North Pole. The only way Ross County (and ICT) are not making up their numbers is if every single person goes every week.

Maybe they're counting passing sheep in those numbers LLOLOLOLOLILOLOLIOLO!!!!!!!!!11!1!1!!111

It is better. Most clubs are getting more home fans to games while also having a more competitive environment, and every club has a chance of trophies/Europe in the top flight now

Only reason you cant see that is because you spend every waking hour mewling about Rangers to the point where you're now so far up their arse you're sounding like them. Just like every other absolute tragedy that spends their time in the BRALT.

Why, thank you. It's always nice and a little bit humbling to hear from an admirer.

Of course, it's better as in other sides have enhanced chances for success. If you actually read some of my posts, rather than just spouted abuse about them, you'd see that that's a theme I frequently return to. I want the duopoly kept apart for as long as possible, due to the damage both sides have used it, to do to our game.

I was responding directly on the issue of crowds though. For me, what is so striking is that gates really have barely fallen away at all for most clubs, with some of course seeing boosts related to current circumstance. This of course absolutely shatters the Armageddon line.

There is a myth that all the boycott talk of 2012, was accompanied by promises that crowds would soar if clubs did the right thing. Of course that was never claimed, as it never could be. There was a pledge however, that they'd collapse if the wrong decision was made. Thankfully, it wasn't.

It's always good to catch up for a chat.

Ross County's increase is solely down to having home games against Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Caley thus far. We will have two home games against each of them guaranteed this season, so our home attendances will be bigger this year. You will also find that they will also fall next year when we are only guaranteed one at home against them next season.

Our own support stays about the same, but if we have a midweek match at home you will find that attendance will be lower than it's Saturday's equivalent.

Ross County's increase is solely down to having home games against Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Caley thus far. We will have two home games against each of them guaranteed this season, so our home attendances will be bigger this year. You will also find that they will also fall next year when we are only guaranteed one at home against them next season.

Our own support stays about the same, but if we have a midweek match at home you will find that attendance will be lower than it's Saturday's equivalent.

Exact same for Dundee this season (although I think our home gate has dropped a wee bit in addition to this)

We've only just had Utd (sell out) and Aberdeen and Hearts who have supports of note at Dens this season. Even then - Aberdeens crowd was way down on their usual numbers and I was pretty disappointed with Hearts effort considering their home gates but a creditable support nonetheless.

Archived