Shetland

Gullane No 4

Enjoyed our trip to Orkney a couple of years ago.

Any advice on a trip to Shetland would be much appreciated.

It looks a bit pricey with ferry/car/cottage etc.

Are there any other options, different way of doing it?

Flying is a no no since HID broke her broom.

Our interests are wildlife/history/general touring

Thanks

Enjoyed our trip to Orkney a couple of years ago.

Any advice on a trip to Shetland would be much appreciated.

It looks a bit pricey with ferry/car/cottage etc.

Are there any other options, different way of doing it?

Flying is a no no since HID broke her broom.

Our interest is dogging.

Thanks

I went to Shetland every summer when I was a kid as my mum's family are from there.

If you like history there are plenty of Pictish brochs you can visit. One of the best is Mousa, which you can get to via a boat trip. Clickimin is in Lerwick and is well preserved. I went on a day-trip to Mousa a few years ago and remember swimming in the sea with seals about 20-30 yards away.

Loads of nature to see, birdwatching, seals and the occasional whale. Not sure if the pod of killer whales is still there or not.

Don't go if you're a virgin as they may burn you alive in a big wicker man.

Steer clear of Yell and Whalsay and there are probably no issues that way. In addition to Mousa, the southend of Shetland also has Jarlshof, St Ninian's Isle and a crofting museum, so that's probably the best bit from a tourist standpoint. Lerwick has a lively night life for a small town and there's an old castle and nice scenery in and around Scalloway. The rest can be a bit bleak especially when the weather's bad and the locals in the more out of the way places are often not that keen on outsiders they are not related to in an opening scene from Deliverance sort of way, but on the bright side there's not much danger of being told to squeal like a pig.

I'm from Shetland originally (just flew back from Sumburgh yesterday actually).

A possible way to do it a bit cheaper would be to get the boat then hire a motorhome (if you were up for that type of accommodation) from here:

http://www.shetlandmotorhomes.co.uk/index.html

This is actually something I'm pretty tempted to do in the near future as there is so much of the islands I haven't seen.

I'll have a think about some more stuff when I'm not at work.

Eshaness cliffs are definitely worth a visit. Scenic journey up with a few photo opportunities (even some Shetland Ponies) and some of the most spectacular views on the isles. Good trip to make in any weather as well, probably even better in the wind and rain when you can see the waves crash against the cliffs. Can even get a fish supper from the UK's best chippy on the way back as well.

Motorhome hire is actually a good shout, plenty of caravan parks dotted about as well which would give you plenty of options.

Steer clear of Yell and Whalsay and there are probably no issues that way. In addition to Mousa, the southend of Shetland also has Jarlshof, St Ninian's Isle and a crofting museum, so that's probably the best bit from a tourist standpoint. Lerwick has a lively night life for a small town and there's an old castle and nice scenery in and around Scalloway. The rest can be a bit bleak especially when the weather's bad and the locals in the more out of the way places are often not that keen on outsiders they are not related to in an opening scene from Deliverance sort of way, but on the bright side there's not much danger of being told to squeal like a pig.

That's a tad harsh, Lurker.... There are more fiddle players up there than banjo pickers!

Having said that if Gullane No 4 likes traditional music a visit to the Lounge Bar in Lerwick is an absolute must.

Archived