1st Match of the day 2nd Jan 2016

Grim O'Grady

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the 530 a record crowd for a LL game?

Anyway is Grim ever going to do the highlights.

Have done 'em, just need a suitable soundtrack. I'm thinking on it today & will use done of the more sensible suggestions. Then will load it up to YouTube tonight. I can't believe how impatient you lot are, remember I have to relive it every time I tweak it.

Grimbo

Is the 530 a record crowd for a LL game?

Anyway is Grim ever going to do the highlights.

Could well be... Crowd at East Kilbride v Whitehill Welfare at last season's groundhop was 491, and while there have been other crowds in the several hundreds at the usual sorts of times - groundhop, derbies, international weekends, club debut, title victories etc. - I can't recall reading about one being over the 500 mark. Can't say for sure, though.

If you want a prediction I think it could be surpassed by March's groundhop games at Spartans and City.

Last season the groundhop crowds were:

Fri evening - EK v Whitehill, 491

Sat lunchtime - Vale v Preston, 312

Sat afternoon - Selkirk v Spartans, 281

Sat dinnertime - Gala v Stirling, 323

Sun lunchtime - Dalbeattie v Edin City, 400

Sun afternoon - Threave v Edin Univ, 462

I didn't think any of the games at the hop had got over the 500 mark. Like you I can't recall any other LL game having a crowd over 500. Good shout for City and Spartans games in March a real good chance that the 530 can be beaten at those.

How about "I started something I couldn't finish" by the Smiths.

I love that song but I'm glad no one suggested Boxers by Morrissey

Losing in front of your home crowd

You wish the ground

Would open and take you down

And will time ever pass?

Will time never pass for us?

Your weary wife is walking away

Your nephew, it's true

Well, he thinks the world of you

And I have to close my eyes

Etc

Grimbo

Was the gate locked behind your tower grim? Must have been at least a couple come through there- there usually is!

It's unlocked for the kick off so the baws can be retrieved. But don't go telling anyone

Grimbo

According to the Border Telegraph there were over 300 at the game...must be one of the biggest crowds for a Lowland League game anywhere this season?

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/14178894.It_s_Miller_time_as_Gala_beat_Selkirk_in_thrilling_New_Year_derby/

Just read it and what a cringe! How many times has the dick that writes this used that exact same headline? Every time the boy scores a goal by the looks! He needs to chuck that one in the bin along with the "Students get taught/teach a lesson" headline every time Gala play a uni team!

Should probably wait on the highlights, but here goes...

Folks need to remember City were two goals down and got it back to 2-2 when there was a full complement of Spartans on the pitch. The nonsense that happened thereafter was ill discipline on the part of the home team who took umbridge at being pegged back. The first red card was stupid, a young player who lost the rag committing two bad fouls in no time after the equaliser, showing his inexperience. The second was nothing malicious although was a penalty and a red card from where I was standing. The third red card was it Brown? Whoever it was should be ashamed this morning, the foul was a penalty but that's not what he got the red card for. He had a kick at City forward's back/neck as he lay on the ground afterwards and got his marching orders for that.

I agree praising the remaining 8 for defending resolutely but if I were a Spartans fan instead of lambasting the ref I'd be livid they threw away a two goal lead in a game they needed to win because the red mist descended. For me Samuels despite bringing in a bunch of 'on paper' good players is still struggling to realise he is not at the Uni anymore and it's about a bit more than physicality and defensive tactics, a trademark of his teams there. He like his counterpart at EK need to start accepting that this is a very good City team, who are very capable of entertaining displays as well as churning out results when not on the top of their game.

It's nice to have one over on your rivals and I'll enjoy it for now, god knows the roles were reversed for long enough when Mickey was down at Spartans.

As for City between now and the end of the season at the end of every training session I'd be practising penalties! Apart from the penalties have to agree with one of the earlier posts Ross Allum was outstanding yesterday. Been posted missing in a few Spartans games before but showed his true ability yesterday coupled with a fantastic work rate throughout.

First red card was deserved although the number 8 does make a meal of it. Second red card the striker had lost the ball. Saying that the ref (if you could call him that) must have been a good 30 yards away as it came from a long ball inside the city half. I was standing right in front of the third red card and looked like a tangle of bodies. The city sub goes down in agony however when red card appears he is up and laughing. Poor show. Not sure there was red mist I think the Spartans players showed amazing restraint against a very poor ref. However city deserved the win and showed some nice football. Unfortunately the ref made it all about him and to be honest he should be ashamed. Well done city. Spartans where do we go now ?

First red card was deserved although the number 8 does make a meal of it. Second red card the striker had lost the ball. Saying that the ref (if you could call him that) must have been a good 30 yards away as it came from a long ball inside the city half. I was standing right in front of the third red card and looked like a tangle of bodies. The city sub goes down in agony however when red card appears he is up and laughing. Poor show. Not sure there was red mist I think the Spartans players showed amazing restraint against a very poor ref. However city deserved the win and showed some nice football. Unfortunately the ref made it all about him and to be honest he should be ashamed. Well done city. Spartans where do we go now ?

Why should grown men have to show amazing restraint exactly? As someone who watched Meadowbank win the Fair Play League on a few occasions as a lad I have to say I get a bit weary of footballers mouthing off to the ref, especially when the official is highly unlikely to change their mind. Maybe certain players will have to have a look at themselves...

Why should grown men have to show amazing restraint exactly? As someone who watched Meadowbank win the Fair Play League on a few occasions as a lad I have to say I get a bit weary of footballers mouthing off to the ref, especially when the official is highly unlikely to change their mind. Maybe certain players will have to have a look at themselves...

Don't disagree with you. Disrespect towards referees is unfortunately common in football however no Spartans player was red carded for dissent. I am sure it is a very small minority of players who don't have a go at refs. A very very small minority. It is the nature of our game from sunday league to the top leagues in the world

post-12982-0-55495000-1451945282_thumb.j

... meanwhile in a shock development the mysterious figure on the Spartans gate known as "Brian" has been revealed to be none other than...

post-12982-0-65678000-1451945320.jpg

He will be flying back in time with a couple of Dalek pals, exterminate the ref and use his sonic screwdriver to deflect the ball into the City goal for a 15-0 Spartans win...

brian.jpg

... meanwhile in a shock development the mysterious figure on the Spartans gate known as "Brian" has been revealed to be none other than...

dr who.jpg

He will be flying back in time with a couple of Dalek pals, exterminate the ref and use his sonic screwdriver to deflect the ball into the City goal for a 15-0 Spartans win...

Arhh now I understand.

Grimbo

Archived