Which is the most boring club to follow?

Oldham under Joe Royle in the late 80s early 90s got to the top flight and played in cup semi-finals and finals.

Most interesting thing they've done since then is try to sign Ched Evans.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in St James's Street in Newcastle in 1990/91- true story. Is it the most centrally located ground in the whole of the UK? I certainly can't think of many grounds closer to the centre, at least in terms of major cities.

Not really the same given it's not a club ground, but the Millennium Stadium is brilliant for that. Couldn't get much more central than where it is.

So are we just cherry picking since Rangers died? Ok.

In that time we defeated what was arguably the best club side in the world at the time, qualified for the latter stages of the champions league, been thrown in and out of Europe in the space of a few days. Also had a manager change, sold some players for funny money, made it past christmas again in Europe.

Had some roller coaster domestic semi finals ( Hearts and Inverness spring to mind).

Now we have a title race that doesnt get much closer at the moment.

To summarise, yer talking pish.

Simple question , right now a few points separate yourselves and Aberdeen , do you have the same feeling of tension you had when it was us you were going toe to toe with at this stage of the season? Are you genuinely worried that if you fall behind Aberdeen it will be a major challenge to catch them again?

Oldham under Joe Royle in the late 80s early 90s got to the top flight and played in cup semi-finals and finals.

Most interesting thing they've done since then is try to sign Ched Evans.

This attracted 100 000 petitions as well so they must have some following for such a boring club!!

Simple question , right now a few points separate yourselves and Aberdeen , do you have the same feeling of tension you had when it was us you were going toe to toe with at this stage of the season? Are you genuinely worried that if you fall behind Aberdeen it will be a major challenge to catch them again?

Nah, personally I don't feel they are a good enough team to catch up. Then again, we aren't a good club either now. I won't be completely stunned if they make it a close race till the end, but I think we are probably winning this by 10+ points.

Still that poster has a point, Rangers collapsed not that long ago. That tme has been quite boring for us domestically, especially as Hearts and Hibs went down as well. But the OP of this thread, as I understood it, was talking about much more long term. From larger perspective, we were battling Rangers, we had ups and downs, then Rangers collapsed, which resulted in a lot of schadenfreude for us, and that wasn't boring. Now it's all getting old, and our own club is getting downsized every year, so it's frustrating and it's getting boring domestically. But overall the last decade has been crazy.

The current rivalry is new for me and refreshing but no, the tension is not the same.

Yes the longer the season goes on I would be genuinely worried if we fell behind, pressure is something that gets forgotten about afrom those looking at the top.

Aberdeen are only starting to feel that of late, and are now accused of being bottlers.

I think stadium is a big factor as well, at least with Newcastle you're minutes walk from the town centre pubs and it's a decent experience, other than the match usually. Watching someone like Derby, Boro or Scunthorpe at a relatively new ground where the nearest things to the ground are a roundabout, drive through KFC and dm franky and bennys, would also make going to the match a dreary experience despite the glamour of the undoubted aforementioned trio.

Teams without a "derby" game seem incredibly boring aswell.

Have to say Queens Park despite the fact they play at Hampden

A footballing powerhouse until professional football swept them aside in the 50's. I've often wondered if a chairman will one day flip it around and bring in professional status.

A footballing powerhouse until professional football swept them aside in the 50's. I've often wondered if a chairman will one day flip it around and bring in professional status.

It was a lot earlier than the 50's that it started to affect them. I don't think they would ever go professional as it's tradition for them to be amateur.

Terrible shout anyway as they've made the play offs every year recently bar one. And they seem to enjoy beating us which has also been consistent practice for them since we came down.

I think Elgin City maybe merit a mention. Joined the SFL in 2000, league finishes so far

2000/01 - 10th

2001/02 - 6th

2002/03 - 9th

2003/04 - 9th

2004/05 - 6th

2005/06 - 5th

2006/07 - 9th

2007/08 - 6th

2008/09 - 10th

2009/10 - 9th

2010/11 - 7th

2011/12 - 4th - PLAY OFF, LOST FIRST LEG

2012/13 - 5th

2013/14 - 9th

2014/15 - 7th

During this time it took them six years of being in the SFL before they could win a cup tie in any senior competition. Their best cup result is probably an extra time win in the first round of the Challenge Cup over the Ross County team who won the first division. They've had several launchings from the cup by non-league sides though, including two 5-4 defeats (to Deveronvale and Bo'Ness).

Having said that they are playing superbly this season and are getting good crowds so hopefully it's looking up for them.

Archived