Only an Excuse?

Didn't watch it but comments seem exact same as last year. Just seems woefully out of touch with the current game. I'm not surprised 90% of the humour is old firm based simply as that's where the majority of the media looks at. I am however surprised at even how off the ball they are with that. Needs new writers or taken outside and shot.

Even back in 90s it wasn't that funny but the fact it still gets airtime is disgraceful....does nobody at bbc Scotland realise how awful their schedule is for hogmanay? Same lazy crap over and over epitomised by oae.....only one show to make over the whole year n it's still dire....

What I don't understand is there are about 8 writers, 3 exec producers, a script editor etc etc and NOT ONE of them says:

"This is all a bit shit isn't it"

I don't care about the impression side of it. It's all about the jokes, and there are very few...

Ferguson, frying pan, Mexicans that was the highlight for me and even that was pish!

The Rangers fan with the Gammy eye is a fair representation of all Sevco supporters the septic fan van with the mono brow needs dumbing down a bit to make him more realistic

What a load of nonsense. I appreciate the fact that they tried to get away from the standard football stuff with a few more general sketches about stuff going on in Scotland but to be honest those sketches were so utterly dreadful that I actually was desperate for more football stuff (which was also shit). I don't mind Watson, I think he tries his best but the material and his 'impressions' are all either rubbish, out of date or not funny in the slightest.

Why Kirsty Wark felt the need to lower herself to that rubbish I don't know. I know we all say it every year, but I that was one of the poorest in years.......and it's been so guff for yonks that's quite an achievement. Think I smirked once (at the Kingsley being shot bit) but that was it. The Tough Town thing was okay, but then went on and on and on and became boring. The rest was just tired and predictable.

Bizarrely, a look through Twitter suggests that some folk actually enjoyed it. A fair chunk mind seem to be Old Firm fans thinking that jokes about the other side, no-matter how poor, equals good comedy. And more Frank McAvennie?! The guy's been out of football for over two decades!

Edited by Highland Capital

Only An Excuse has such potential. A whole year to come up with a comedy about the year's biggest stories and make them funny... yet every year it turns out utter dross. I actually think this year's was the worst I've ever seen.

Saying that, though... I watch it every single year so I'm part of the reason that it's still on the telly.